1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting my restoration of a 1975 DC - Bowie

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by 75DCResto, Oct 21, 2017.

1. 75DCResto

75DCResto Member

It's funny I never thought I would end up here with doing a full Resto like this, I wanted a very average ute with a nice patina and not to have to worry about dints and scratches, but they are just nuclear rust bombs inside and you keep digging and digging trying to get on top of the rust and you end up sinking so much cash into it that it morphs into a near show car that you will be all precious about.

I've never had a nice car like this will be so maybe I just won't care after I got that first scratch out of the way:eek:. I had a 20 year old Au 1 tonne ute before this so will be hard to have a ute and not use and abuse it.

micklyan and David H like this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Similar story with my SC..... just wanted a tidy workhorse, but it tends to blowout into a way bigger project than ever first intended. :eek:

Link to my resto in my sig below...... ;)

75DCResto and David H like this.
  3. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Yep. I know that feeling very very well.

75DCResto and David H like this.
  4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

You need to stop saying this guys. I need to keep motivated on mine.
    Managed to get the unknown engine to start on the weekend by jury rigging everything as it was put back in to the body with lots of parts missing, just to make it easier to move around being the engine and gearbox take up a lot of room and are heavy, I guess.
    After attaining some oil pressure oil pressure and after a bit of guessing with no timing marker she fired up and ran for a minute until the fuel ran out in the float bowls. (very minimal setup). Started a few more times with no horrible noises and a pretty good idle without any tuning done. Made the decision that it is a goer and scavenged up enough of the missing tinware and other parts to complete it, then spent Sunday pulling bits of to fit said tinware and the duct for the alternator etc. Still a few more jobs till I can do a proper start. This will make it easier to actually get it to a trailer and also to move it around when I get it home.

Adrian

5. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

6. 75DCResto

75DCResto Member

Yeah looks a bit like Marino yellow. I think I'm going with white bumper s and white be badge and white wheels with chrome hubcaps on tubbed wheels for a bit of extra width. Also going to lower it a bit but not slamming it like that one. Just need my bank account to survive painting and engine and trans build before I can get too carried away thinking about that fun stuff :)

David H and micklyan like this.
  7. 75DCResto

75DCResto Member

8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

9. 75DCResto

75DCResto Member

Engine and gearbox update.

I have learnt a lot about all the generation so gearboxes and how to spot the differences in the cooling fins.

The correct running gear for my 75 is 1800. Turns out I have 1800 engine peripherals on a 2000 block with a 1600 transmission. :confused: All sorted now, but I'm guessing in the NT where this car lived, you took whatever parts you were around. I know the ratios on the 1600 are good for dragging stuff around so maybe it was on purpose, but I suspect it was just what was easy to get their hands on.

Going to put it back to everything 1800 like it should be.

10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

That be good;). Many ways to do a Kombi but I'm a bit of a purist:p. Stock is good:cool:.
    Best fortune with it.
    Cheers

11. 75DCResto

75DCResto Member

Paint update. Doors are close to prepped for painting. Body is in epoxy and ready for prep. Hopefully paint in the next few weeks.

Attached Files:

Daz77, Wayne murray, Poptop and 2 others like this.
  12. 75DCResto

75DCResto Member

First box of goodies has arrived from VW heritage.

Got a new steering wheel, all new lights, rubber seals, new accelerator pedal and linkages, hub caps and lots of random little bits.

Still struggling to find a new loom. Apparently the place that supplies almost everyone has just stopped producing them because they are relocating. Anyone have any bring ideas on where to find a loom for a 1975 dual cab? I found a place with a 1976 bus RHD loom that would be easy to modify but their supplier was out and couldn't give a date on the next batch. Vwlooms.com in the UK said they could make me one but don't seem to be replying to emails for the last 6 weeks.

Cheers

Attached Files:

David H and OSF like this.
  13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Did you buy a new steering wheel that is original style or an other style replacement? Did you ring the place in Melbourne for a wire loom vintage wire loom www.vinwire.com.au

David H likes this.
  14. 75DCResto

75DCResto Member

OSF likes this.
  15. Wayne murray

Let me know how you go with the new wheel. I've had a couple with not much success:(.

16. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

It's great to hear another one is being saved from the ravages of nature.u have to be happy about the old man doing mechs for you.big $ saving there .welcome to the club.

75DCResto likes this.
  17. Wayne murray

@75DCResto That company info I gave you ,You most likely need your old harness ,for them to copy,if they can or will do it. Hope they can.

18. 75DCResto

75DCResto Member

Finally some colour going on in the interior. Exterior is all prepped except the underside and engine bay. Transmission has been completed picking it up next week. Engine is currently being rebuilt should be done in a few weeks. Bank account is on fire :eek:
    Resized_20190813_201505_5760.jpeg Resized_20190813_201450_6876.jpeg Resized_20190813_201432_467.jpeg Resized_20190813_201442_8305.jpeg Resized_20190816_095111_4386.jpeg Resized_20190816_095118_4982.jpeg

68BUS, TeeBee, David H and 4 others like this.
  19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Looking great!

75DCResto likes this.
  20. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Loving the orange and the progress. This thing's going to be back on the road before mine at this rate. Good stuff. Keep it going.

75DCResto likes this.