1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering Box?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by toby, Oct 25, 2006.

1. toby

toby New Member

Dumb question time. Is the steering box for a LH drive different to a RH drive. That is could I import a new box from the states and fit it to my aussie bus or is it made the wrong way round.:???:

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

As far as I know the bay Kombi ones are different.

3. brookie

brookie Guest

Have been discussing this with Tom-import from Europe and modify chassis rail something like they have been doing on very low splitties

4. toby

toby New Member

Thanks Brookie & Syncro. I don't really understand your reply brookie? If I cant just fit a box imported from the US I would be happy to hear from any member who knows where to get one in Oz or England?

ps my bus is a 76 bay.

5. brookie

brookie Guest

The chassis rails on Kombis have mounting holes each side and steering boxes are same size for LHD and RHD. I was thinking of either sectioning chassis rail and fitting LHD box or alternatively putting LH internals in RHD case.

Still checking if this can be done- maybe cheaper to have machine shop make new parts.:)

Are you sure your steering box needs replacement-have seen boxes that have been adjusted properly do over 500,000ks

6. toby

toby New Member

Had a mechanic have a look. He reckons that he can visually see that a bearing needs to be replaced.

7. brookie

brookie Guest

No disrepect to your mechanic but is he a VW mechanic?

Virtually the only thing that wears in box is a bush which can be machined up fairly easily. Volker Storig of Volkers Motors at Rockingham used to do them but he retired a few months ago unfortunately.

8. 77bay

77bay Active Member

There was an old guy up Gladstone/Rocky way that used to specialize in steering boxes, but unfortunately he passed some 18 months ago. His offsider has just retired and has a load off stuff that he's getting rid of. I bought a reco steering box from him 6 months ago for $150, good as gold. I'll see if I can find his number.
    And just to make you happy Brookie, apparently the family cleaned his shed out and threw out all the tools they couldn't identify, so all the specialty tools for refurbishing the steering boxes went to the dump.

9. brookie

brookie Guest

That happened to tools for gearboxes here a few years ago- non VW people had garage sale and the special tools didn't sell because no one knew what they were and dumped:(

10. brookie

brookie Guest

Before adjusting steering box swing link and pin must be checked-if you have someone turn steering wheel this will move vertically up and down if worn and is possibly the quickest wearing part in Kombi steering - if 200,000ks is quick.
    Also then check tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings etc.
    Sometimes it is worth re-adjusting steering box- undo lock nut- screw adjuster out and start again.

I also heard that the wear on bush in steering box covers only about 25-30 degrees so bush can be turned 180 degrees- (pity forum won't allow degree symbol) and you have equivalent of new bush.
    Anybody got spare worn box for us to try?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2006
  11. almarker

almarker Member

We are also in the process of having a pretty average 2nd hand steering box rebuilt for us at the moment and our mechanic (VW guru of Hobart) says it will be 100% perfect when complete. Estimated cost about $300 to $350 complete, but as with all mechanic's estimates: subject to change! Ha!

I'd say go the rebuild over importing, but that's just my opinion.

Tara

12. brookie

brookie Guest

Look after him:)

13. toby

toby New Member

I went to see Volker on Tuesday and found he had retired (damn)...such is life. I hope that you (77 bay) can find that number. I love to find a $150 box. Appreciate all the opinions and advice.

14. brookie

brookie Guest

I know Volker Storig very well and have asked him would he build a few boxes but he said he has retired completely. He and his wife do lots of touring (700,000ks+ Kombi) and he is very competitive Masters swimmer.
    Big loss to VW owners when he retired.

15. peterbro

peterbro New Member

US boxes don't fit

One of the VW parts companies in the US was selling brand new TRW built steering boxes for a reasonable price so I emailed them and asked if the box would fit a LHD Aussie kombi.
    They thought it would so I bought one, but alas they are isometrically mirror imaged, and it wasn't going to fit.
    Fortunately they accepted it back for a refund.
    I've heard that the bush replacement is only part of the rebuild, that sometimes the worm also can be excessively worn.
    So anyone know where to get a properly rebuilt box ?
    South Africa perhaps ?

16. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Could be a venture for somebody here who's handy with gearboxes maybe? :)

Hell I know nothing about rebuilding any type of gearbox but I'd even give it a try if I ever needed one... ya never ever know if ya never ever go as they say. :cool:

17. David H

David H Well-Known Member

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Check the date. :)

Chidori likes this.
  19. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Did before post;). Just helping forum flow over time.;):D Helps threads tie in with each other also. Oh...& member RStucke ability he offers to members:) & now brings it in front of more eyes currently.
    Cheers

20. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Interesting thread, Volker Storig's shop was right next door to my old workshop - I knew him well...

David H likes this.