Steering box....

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by DaisyGirl, Jul 27, 2012.

1. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Guest

So my wheels keep going out of alignment so I think it was suggested I need to replace the steering box...hope that sounds right.

I am wondering how much these are worth and I am assuming I have to search for a 2nd hand one.

thks - Liss

2. Abby.75

Abby.75 New Member

I need to replace mine too... I drove 2 hours down south (each way) to get a wheel alignment done today and he's done such a good job now my dodgy old steering box is really obvious...

Good luck with your search... I will be watching with interest.

I'm sure someone will corect me if I'm wrong... but I didn't think the steering box had anything to do with the alignment... the steering box is right at the front, and the alignment is adjusted near the wheels/axle (I can't remember what it's called but I can picture it...ARGH!) and you can bump out if you bash a curb/pothole, or if you start replacing things on the suspension like ball joints/tie rod ends like I have...???

Abby.75

3. cbus

cbus Active Member

steering box may have play[wear] that allows kombi to wander but it cant affect the alignment

4. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Guest

OK so does anything affect the alignment - I keep finding that the tyres are wearing on the inside even if I get an alignment done - so once the alignment's done on Tuesday I will check for wandering - thanks Col - Liss

5. Abby.75

Abby.75 New Member

I've always found that I will notice when the alignment/balance goes out... wouldn't be the first time I bashed a curb or a pothole and then noticed the difference.... or the steeringwheel wobbling/making noises under brakes if the balance goes too (first time that happened I was freaking out that I'd done some serious damage....)

Are the tyres being rotated? Paticlarly the back ones on a Bug need to be swapped around because they tend to wear unevenly anyway.... but from memory they are supposed to, to a certain extent anyway...

I have been told by my mechanic to be carefull who does the alignment... he showed me the spanner needed to adjust it and it's a whopping great big thing almost as long as my arm.... and some places don't even have it... but will take your money anyway. He always sets the adjusters in the same spot when he works on the front end and has had (female Kombi driving) customers come back and say they got the alignment and it's still how he left it. That's why I drove 2 hrs each way... I've been going to the same guy (I used to live near by) for over 10 years, since I was 17 years old, next door used to be a fantastic VW mechanic... till he retired.... and they used to help eachother out so I know he knows what he's doing around VW's. I know I can take a VW there with a problem.... ask him to fix it.... and leave knowing it's fixed and I haven't been screwed...

As I said though he's a little too good... now my steering box is really noticeable. It creaks a bit, and the first bit when you turn the wheels does sweet nothing.... but now the wheel is straight, it's easier to turn, and she doesn't wobble down the road anymore.... Is that what Daisy has been doing?.... I don't think uneven wearing tyres is the alignment (again I could be wrong but I'm sure someone will corect me if I'm wrong) unless maybe it's only one tyre that's scrubbing out.... like it's touching something metal? I never thought a Kombi could drive so well. My sister's didn't when I last drove it... I think she's the one who bent my tie rod she's a serial curb basher....

Abby.75

6. Alpal

Alpal Active Member

Ball joints, Tie rod ends. All the bits that link the front wheels. The man should advise if there is wear that will impact on alignment. No use aligning if the bits is beggared.

7. cbus

cbus Active Member

Like Al said.

Wearing on edge could be a number of things but all should be checked when doing an alignment.
    Alignment is only the adjustments so any things needing fixing mechanicaly speaking will be an additional cost.

First part is tyre pressures. if low you will wear both edges.
    Wheel bearings. need to be correctly adjusted. not too tight or loose.
    Check of ball joints .
    check that none of the suspension components[arms] are bent.[check camber]
    tie rod ends need to have no play
    Tie Rods should not be bent
    centre pin should have no [or minimal]play

Clamp bolts on tie rods should be tight . Also check they are in good nick. often will have been backed off and tightened many times so new ones are a good idea .

All this is quick and easy to check and should have been done.

I would have mechanic check all points but inside wear may be related to wheel bearing/bent suspension arms/alignment toed out

Easy 5 min check on a hoist. alignment and camber check will take longer

Old shock absorbers can also affect tyre wear but not just inner tyre

col

8. cbus

cbus Active Member

re read your post.

Inside only wear on both will most probably be incorrect alignment. Toed out. will also increase tendency to wander as well

9. deeksy62

deeksy62 Member

Shall I open the "tyre pressure" can of worms and wandering kombi's?

Steve

10. Alpal

Alpal Active Member

Leave the worms alone!!

11. deeksy62

deeksy62 Member

I have taken a tablet and the worms are gone!