Steering centre pin movement (play)

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by steve_4802, Nov 27, 2016.

1. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

when jacking the front beam up today I noticed when I pushed on the centre pin it moved up quite a lot, maybe 5 mm, before pushing all the way in and the lifting up the car as I jacked it up.. Is it normal for there to be so much free length / play in the centre pin? Seemed strange to me but I've never looked there before or noticed.

2. leithbro

leithbro Member

There is a wavy spring washer in the assembly from memory, I seem to recall using the jack to hold the center pin in place installing. I don't think I'd use it as a jacking point though, if for no other reason than the bottom cap is very soft.

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/how-to-replace-centre-pin-for-steering.7327/

Is marked in green at the bottom of the center pin diagram. Would account for at least some of your play.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  3. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

I was under the bus today and took a photo of the centre pin while there - see attached. You can see maybe as much as 10mm play in the top.

My main question, is it safe? Being in the tail end of a few solid weeks maintenance and a baby in the way I don't want to touch the centre pin unless I need to.

Attached Files:

4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member