1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering column

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Brennen, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Brennen

Brennen New Member

Where can you buy new or old. The piece that holds the ignition in? For a 74 baywindow bus
    upload_2019-2-10_8-55-10.jpeg

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Ignition isn't from a 74 kombi more like a 71-72 kombi. To get the ignition out (where the key goes) You need what you have got a wire hook that you have to fish to find the hole which is on the blind side when you are looking inside the ignition housing in the back of the unit.
    I do find it better to have a hook at both ends gives you something to hold onto when pulling on the wire which is compressing the spring in the ignition itself.
    Do you need the switch out with the wires.?
    Where are you located in NSW If you having trouble getting it out I'll get it out,as long as the hole hasn't been buggered by others.
    What is wrong with what you have got? As it isn't easy finding parts new or old for that year model unit.If you do find it will cost a fair amount money unless you are lucky.

David H and Brennen like this.
  3. Brennen

Brennen New Member

Photo is just off the internet as a reference. I can’t seem to get the barrel out of my old one was going to see how much they were worth but I will have another go this arvo and see if I can get it out. Located near Nowra NSW. What size wire do you use to fit in the hole?

4. Wayne murray

Picture of what I use top of photo is the end that is shaped that goes in the hole . I use cyclone wire 3mm ,But the end is tapered down to 2 mm which is for making it easy to get into the hole. The over all shape helps get it over the the back of the ignition to get the wire in the hole to get it out.
    If the whole unit is still in the car ,it is a different kettle of fish your wire needs to be a lot longer and it is x10 times harder to get out and make sure you disconnect the battery if you are doing it in the car.
    IMG_20190210_094049.jpg

David H and Brennen like this.
  5. Brennen

Brennen New Member

Thank you I will give it a go and let you know how I go. Cheers

6. Brennen

Brennen New Member

I got it out super easy haha took 5 minutes today and 2 hours of swearing yesterday. Made up a little hook and put a point on the end of it. Worked a treat. Cheers for the help wayne!

David H and Barry like this.
  7. Brennen

Brennen New Member

8. Wayne murray

You know can go to Maccas with the swear jar:D and reward yourself for todays achievement well done.:) That housing in correct photo for a 74 housing .What is wrong/problem ?

Brennen and Grantus like this.
  9. Brennen

Brennen New Member

Got a new barrel the old one isn’t working not 100% sure what’s wrong with it just won’t turn. Housing has 2 holes drilled in it from the guy I bought it off but I should be able to fix it. My kombi isn’t currently running it’s getting painted at the moment and then I need to bring it home and get the mechanical side of it going. I have started doing a few things and just started collecting some parts getting ready to do it all. Just money and time.

Wayne murray likes this.
  10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Brennen,
    I've got a housing you can have if you need one.
    Cheers

Brennen likes this.
  11. Wayne murray

If the key goes in but doesn't turn ,it might be an indication that the key isn't correct for the ignition,You can change the brass keys over inside the ignition to make the key work in that ignition.

Brennen likes this.
  12. Brennen

Brennen New Member

For a 74? The housing I have just has a couple holes but is it die cast metal? Can’t weld them up?

13. Wayne murray

See how you go with @David H if he has the correct housing, I have one as well.I know mine has a dent in it but never tried getting it out,as I don't have that year model kombi so I would be using it so I didn't bother hammering it out.

Brennen likes this.
  14. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Brennen,
    Die cast can be braised...it just takes time , knowledge & patience with the heat in/out. Mine is the same as Waynes. Not taken the key lock out yet. He has told me how to but I'm yet to get a round tuit;). Now you've done one the second should be easy with the Wayne advice/success.
    Is this P1110463.JPG
    Wires come free;).
    Cheers

15. Brennen

Brennen New Member

I’ll see if I can get my one fixed up, should be alright but thank you. I’ll let you know how it goes. I’ll fix it up this week.

16. Wayne murray

@David H
    Mmm That blinker stalk in above photo left hand side how many wires has it got coming off it?
    :D