1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stick on Lettering / Numbers (External)

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by OSF, Jul 15, 2018.

1. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Morning all,

I want to reproduce the external weight details that were on my ute when I bought it. I figure I should do this with the vinyl stickers I can get from my local boat shop, but I wasn't 100% sure if these are the ones to use or not.

Any recommendations / suggestions?
    Can someone also remind me what the "A" stands for?
    VW DC Ute 1.JPG

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

A would be Aggregrate Mass or Gross Mass

I would be getting a sign writer.

For the work you have put in the vinyl wouldn't cut it in my opinion.
    Maybe vinyl first to see if you like it but not for keeps

Poptop and OSF like this.
  3. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Mmmmm. Any idea what a sign writer would charge for something like this?

4. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Just looking on the net and see there are heaps of places that make up whatever you want to put on in the vinyl lettering and it's all pre-spaced etc. so you don't stuff it up sticking it on. I think I might give the boat shop a miss and start with something like this and see how it goes, as it will only cost me about$20.00 (delivered).

https://www.vinylletteringdirect.com.au/
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/vinylletteringdirect/photos/?ref=page_internal

I do like the idea of getting a signwriter to do it, but expect that would probably cost me a fair bit more. I can still go there though if I'm not happy with the results of my $20 spend.

5. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

The above noted place also offers the option of "Boat Lettering" which uses a premium vinyl. I think this might be the go.

6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi OSF,
    As Barry says "A" is short for aggregate which is generally a state allowance for more weight over plated 'Tare'. Generally approx plus 10% on Tare (shown on compliance plate).
    I'd go with the premium vinyl & see if it 'sits' okay for you & what you've done.
    Any thought to break from protocol (this numbering not required by law) & do the numbers in red to match rims etc?;)
    Cheers

Poptop likes this.
  7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Apply the vinyl lettering and remove the letters instead of the background. Use that as the stencil to paint letters.
    Use enamel and its remove able with wax n grease remover while fresh if you don't like it.
    Finish with a small brush for authentic looking brushstrokes if desired.
    If you want a patina look use a lettering brush and when dry sand carefully with 1500 and jiff then cutting compound.

oldman likes this.