1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sticky steering at low speeds

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by darren 01, Apr 24, 2012.

1. darren 01

darren 01 New Member

im noticing my steering seems to be quiet stiff at slow speeds ,,,it seems to get stuck slightly and it takes a little bit off force to turn the wheel ,,,its as thou something is very dry.
    i have greases every thing ,,,replaced the centre pin ,,,new ball joints,,
    i also have a friend with pop top 76 model and he is now experiencing the same thing with his vehicle but at higher speeds,,on his vehicle just about everything has been recently replaced,,,,,,,,my first thought is perhaps a dry steering box but so far i cant see were it would be filled if it takes at all.....i also jacked up the front end and put it on blocks and turned the wheels by hand and found no sticking anywhere in the steering,,,,it also gets the speed wobbles at times and it feels very unsafe at times,,noy sure if its the steering or shockies causing the wombling
    any ideas

2. jb4845

jb4845 Member

I had similar problems with stiffness in the steering when I replaced the ball joints on my van - you actually had to 'steer' it to go back to straight - they took a bit of time to loosen up - a few thousand K's perhaps - but now it drives fine

Maybe this is your problem?

3. darren 01

darren 01 New Member

the ball joints were done about 12 months ago on both vehicles and one has done around 10000ks and the more miles it does the worse it seems,,,,,

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If the steering seemed ok when jacked up and checked by turning the steering wheel then possibly you have wheel alignment issue. does the kombi seem to tramline a bit on irregular or cambered roads. Wobble at speed suggests similar.
    Check for wear on inside or outside od tyres[feathering of tread blocks]

Do a rough measure with tape on the front and rear centres of tyres for toe in.

Have a tyre alignment joint put it on their rig and turn the wheel fully in either direction. Also do an unloaded ball joint check.

just guessing

col

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

seem to recall an issue with ball joints a while back. Same place do them?

col

6. chellejohno

chellejohno Member

Ended up being the steering box on mine, had a real "notchy" feel when turning the wheel,
    but felt smoother when jacked up because it had no pressure on it. If its a late bay, and it is the box, they're available new, I got mine from the UK, VW heritage.

Cheers Johno

7. darren 01

darren 01 New Member

now that u mention it i did the wheel alignment myself in the aldi car park and i wouldnt exactly say i new what i was doing thou at the time it all seemed well
    my kombi hasnt done enough ks yet to check for wear on the tyres but my mate has just returned from victoria and his tyres should show wear signs if a wheel alignment is needed
    hes actually mid way through a ten day 10 day meditation course somewhere on the sunshine coast and he cant talk to anyone or text or email,,,,bloody hippies
    when he gets out i will get him to check his front tyres for wear

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

9. darren 01

darren 01 New Member

he just sold his toyota to buy a kombi
    he lives in his kombi and travels around working ,,,,more room inside he reckons

10. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Were the ball joints adjusted correctly when installed?
    Caster and Camber need to be addressed when installing.

11. darren 01

darren 01 New Member

nothing was done except a tape measure put on it and adjusted,,,,