1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stop me if youve herd this one before .......Rack and Pinion for Splitty???

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by jsdemeur, Oct 25, 2014.

1. jsdemeur

jsdemeur Member

So Im new to forum so some one please redirect me if there are posts concerning this but I am looking at putting a rack in my bus VW Jim seems to have the best kit but half his parts are out of stock , Ive seen the Creative sent up but expensive and VW Jims better but he has no Bedfron Rascal stearing racks left ... does anyone know what this is or where i may be able to source one or something that does the job ?????Or a similer alternative, also anyone had a Rack engineered to drive ?? Im in NSW jsdemeur@hotmail.com

2. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Bedford rascal is a rebadged Suzuki, was sold here as the Holden Scurry (not many around though). Try ebay.uk as there seems to be more over there, or on http://www.vwkd.co.uk/bb/ as a few guys there have done the rascal rack conversion.

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Uncle Google says the Scurry is the same as the Suzuki Carry, and they were pretty common here

There is someone in Canada eBay selling a LHD but says he has RHD stuff

4. jsdemeur

jsdemeur Member

Cheers will do

5. jsdemeur

jsdemeur Member

Cheers is that Bazza ?? JS mate

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

G'day JS

Need to come and have a look at this baby

7. jsdemeur

jsdemeur Member

Hope to have it home soon , more pics on forum

Attached Files:

8. damo99

damo99 New Member

i am about to do the suzuki carry (bedford rascal)rack conversion
    i have found plenty of racks from suzuki wreckers
    the only real expense is getting the custom steering arm made as vw jim
    has none in stock and wont have until mid next year.my next door neighbor has laser and
    plasma cutting equipment and has had a look and said is doable
    so i am getting some made up .i can also get the rack mount copied as i have one comming.
    if your interested let me know through here .
    every other part is easily accessible from aus .
    i am also doing electric power steering at the same time as the column has to be
    modified to do the rack conversion.
    this do it yourself kit is available on ebay
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221263631208?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
    it uses a barina power column

9. DakDak67

DakDak67 Active Member

This all sounds very interesting, keep up the progress pics.

10. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Gday all. I have been setting up the power steer on ECLECTIC 4x4 using the Daewoo power rack & electric pump of a holden astra no computer involved. Using a bevel box out of a Mitsubishi with matching column. little bit to do on the tierod ends thought about using 2 adjustable arms off the kombi. have a look in the performance thread
    ernie

11. jsdemeur

jsdemeur Member

[
    AAAAh Damo you are the person ive been looking for I hate the notchy steering box , as Im IRSing and Porch braking my 66w ith a 1916 and twin webbers I soooo want it too steer well and that VW jim set up looks the best designed but all the shipping just kills it......... I have a healthy budget dedicated to this and was about to start scrounging for parts at the wreckers but I would be most greatful for any advice or leeds you can give me and please where do i send a deposite for the custom lasr cut steering arm. Please put me down for one of these.??
    I found these in UK which seams like an ok deal and he recons you can center mount the rack extend shafts and use a stock steering arm ???

Ill grab these id you think its a good idea?? Or if you can put a kit together ?? i would be happy to pay you for your effort. I dont know if you bother witth Aussieveedubbers but Im Jayes and have more pics of my bus there.

Id love to know more about the possibilities of doing the rack at least, may as well do power steering too but need to get components first. I have a spare steerring shaft and column from a left hand drive so that where Im starting from. my email is jsdemeur@hotmail.com number 94116595 happy to chat further anytime cheers JS

12. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

What Daewoo is your rack from Ernie? We have a mock up using a LHD dodge intrepid 'centre mount' rack (similar to a camira one) with two 90degree gearboxes/bevel boxes. New shed going up soon and then hopefully we'll get back into it...

13. jsdemeur

jsdemeur Member

14. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

why the 2 bevel boxes & lhd rack [​IMG] G'day all. to answer your question Gazman. I just took a couple of pics to show basics of set the Mitsubishi bevel box & standard Daewoo right hang drive rack flipped to face the front & the steering arms out the back. the set up turns the right way. I plan on having new arms made up to suit the rodeo tierod ends. hope this helps you all out there. As I said using astra electric power pump mounted up the front so no hoses to run from the rear or belts & pulleys to sort out
    ernie[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  15. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

The lhd dodge rack mounts behind the beam, and uses two 90 bevel boxes to take the steering shaft across then back on the left side of the bus to avoid the brake booster and linkages. Tie rods attach directly to the rack so we can eliminate the swivel pin and drag link setup. I'll see if I've got any pics...

16. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Gazman. see the problem I don't have the booster to worry about that's why mine is simple. will have to look at some movement of the booster to make it more straight forward. should just have to modify the brake pivot to extend it to the left enough to clear booster. will do some work on spare beam. I'm also looking into modifying bay beams to fit into splits but not narrowed for the blokes wanting bj disc front ends
    ernie

17. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

18. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Gazman. I will drag the old beam out & see what's involved in relocating the booster to the left enough to get the steering shaft past it etc
    ernie

19. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Gazman. 5 minutes a bit of steel clearance done. simple job to use my type of rack just extend the pushrod to the booster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Good evening jsdemeur. I have just read the post again is your kombi LHD if so you will need the same rack as gazmans using
    ernie