Storing Explosives

Discussion in 'NT' started by Buttercup, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Buttercup

Buttercup New Member

No, we are not suicide bombers... just a couple of hippies who have concerns about storing gas cans for cooking, petrol etc in our kombi while we're driving through and living in the heat of NT. Are there ways to store this stuff so we can keep it cool? We normally park under trees but that option isn't always available.

Thanks for your help!

2. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

You mean large LPG (barbecue) cylinders? The rules are that they have to be separate from your sleeping compartment, which is why campers have the 'outside' entrance and must be installed by a proper fitter. If you mean the little butane guys, their operating range is pretty high but I always leave them outside overnight.

Welcome to KC by the way.

3. Buttercup

Buttercup New Member

Thanks Dingo!

We mean the little butane guys. We like to park the Kombi during the day and go seek adventure by foot. If we can't find a shaded area for her, we're worried the gas cans will overheat in the NT sun, explode and set our beloved Buttercup on fire.

We were wondering if people keep these things in some type of cooling bag.

4. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Mine just live in the tradies trailer that I tow when we go camping. No special packing, just in the cardboard box that the come in. Haven't had any issues with them.

Ian

5. Dingostrategy

well, your mileage may vary, but I've stored those things in sundry station wagons, kombis, bicycle panniers and backpacks for 20 years without a hitch. Common sense prevails - the only reason I leave them outside the vehicle is that they tend to stink a bit from time to time.

6. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Buttercup, can confirm Dingo's calming words. Have litigated most catastrophies on behalf of insurers over 30 years including LPG / Natural gas spontaneous combusts in the back seat but am not aware of any Butane incidents. If, an NT hot day could spontaneously combust a Butane cannister then I can assure you they would be off the market toot sweet! Potentially an issue with one already opened / connected to an appliance in terms of leakage, hence Dingos' canny advice of leaving it outside w.r.t. smell but unlikely to do any more. Common sense, perhaps dont leave said cannister on dashboard in midday sun, etc, but otherwisw , chill. Incidentally, my 100th post. Cant believe that I could get into this....cant believe KC have put up with it cant believe Mods are so " liberal '.John Doherty in Adelaide.:cool:

7. Dingostrategy

I'm watching you. The mods are a bit loose, but I have my own set of moral standards.

8. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Yes he does push a bit close to the limits!
    But as he has a coffee machine we give him some slack?
    lol
    Dave

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Dear John D esq.
    you are safe .
    They nod and smile, but dont comprehend.

please continue.

col

10. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Wot e said

11. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Wot did he say??

Congrats John on reaching your century.

and I will add my bit de canisters: Been carrying for years in the cupboard without incedent.

12. Buttercup

Buttercup New Member

Yeah, we've never heard of butane cans exploding in cars before... I guess we're just over protective first time parents of our new baby Kombi.

Thanks for the reassurance.

And thanks Split 1 for giving me nightmares with your teet swaying, pole dancing cow.