1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange noise

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Mattyb!, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Mattyb!

Mattyb! New Member

Hi All - long time no postey at least it means the beast is running well.

yesterday a godawful noise started intermittently coming from the engine - sort of a screech raspy wheeze. not that high pitch and could be mistaken (I hope mistaken) for almost a gravelly sound? I have over last couple of months had a very intermittent "clunk" or "pop" as slowing down no idea if related...

it is running ok... just crazy noise - clearly need to fix but I've as of 6 months ago decided to do all my own work on the kombi (as far as practical)...

a quick squiz at the forum and I'm guessing some sort of exhaust manifold (if there is such a thing) or something similar... I think it is some sort of wheezy squeak from a hose of some sort...

The Haynes manual is particularly unhelpful referring me to chapters where there is no mention of the thing it sent me there to look for.

The big question is: Would you trust it for a camping trip (1.5 hr drive there) this weekend or do I have to take the car and tent...

1990 is it 2.1l manual:) The oil level is ok, coolant ok.

The Haynes under the fault finding bit: one option is "blowing cylinder head sealing ring"... hope not that?

Cheers all although I'm sure the most sensible answer is "Take it to a mechanic you goose"

2. Mattyb!

Mattyb! New Member

Hmm it seems this is my 1st post... not so. Mattb - bought a T3 with assistance from this place a couple of years back and intermittent visitor

3. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Check your water pump, if the belt is too tight it quickly causes the bearing to fail. I had one fail on a 1 year old 1990 Caravelle GL. Sounded like a train coming through a tunnel for a few weeks then all of a sudden let go and lost coolant lucky for me I have a habit of continually checking the dash and as soon as the temp went up I stopped. No damage except a new pump.

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Motor running or while driving?

low revs or high?

check alternator. pull belt off

col

5. olchris

olchris New Member

Is the "godawful noise" consistant or intermitent........ Can you make it happen with manipulation of accelerator, brake or clutch pedals, turning either lh or rh corners ???????????.. What recent work has been carried out on motor ??????????/...... I dont know much about VW motors but the principles are the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Mattyb!

Mattyb! New Member

Cheers for ideas all. Will check the water pump cheers Phil. Cbus it can make the noise at idle or while driving. I had my wife take it to various revs today while I "observed" (i.e. stood there like a bloke looking dumbly at the engine) and came to conclusion it just comes and goes.

oldchris - no recent work really. Has run like a dream for 2+ years. When I say I do my own stuff it is just oil change, coolant if needed, and checks as per the Haynes manual. Have a decent set of tools. Will have to hunt down a WA forummer to give it a quick look and expert opinion/diagnosis:) I'll remember the guy I have in mind's name - had a few T3s inc a syncro...

7. Mattyb!

Mattyb! New Member

Just a reminder - the main question is "would you risk it on a cheeky weekend camping trip?"

Luckyphil obviously you would as you drove yours for weeks:)

8. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

"would you risk it on a cheeky weekend camping trip?
    If your NRMA is paid up, then yes, all part of the experience :)

9. Luckyphil

Did drive it for weeks but as it was near new and was my first Caravelle I didnt know the warning signs

10. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

+1 for checking the water pump, mine went in a similar way and was easy to replace. Easy to check too, take the fan belt off and give the water pump a spin. If it feels rough or noisy, or the shaft has play then its time for a new one.

11. Mattyb!

Mattyb! New Member

SO I decided that since I had work today and then camping there was no time for any DIY fixes so I called the mechanic who said he'd have a quick look/diagnosis and let me know if it was urgent or was just a harmless non-urgent noise. Drove all the way like a dream (15 mins) but when I got out there was a fair amount of fluid coming from the engine (there had been no leak before) and yep it was the water pump rooted. Unfortunately too far from home to risk driving back so just had to book it in. Will get the kombi back next week, I'll have a $6-700 lighter wallet (he'll do a service too), and if we do go camping it will be in the family car... but it's just not the same.

So yeah full marks to Luckyphil for being spot on with the diagnosis. Cheers all.

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

better than finding out half way to camp.
    cheers
    col

13. Mattyb!

Mattyb! New Member

For sure - it was never going to make it.

I think my wife is suspicious I've sabotaged the van so I can watch the mighty Dockers rip the Cats a new one though.

14. Mattyb!

Mattyb! New Member

Crikey that was an expensive event... $1000!!!
    That was for full service, the water pump, the coolant flush and new fluids etc. I had expected about $650. The guy decided to re-mount my airconditioner as it was incorrectly mounted... however it is only 18 months since they serviced it and regassed it so you'd have thought they'd have picked that up then. Also my rear drums required "deridging" despite the fact that 10 months ago at my last service they removed and dusted? the rear drums and made no mention of any issues and that is only about 8000kms ago.

Sick of mechanics:) Running a treat at least.

15. Luckyphil

Find another mechanic, parts and coolant $250 http://www.justkampersaustralia.com/shop/water-pump-for-1900cc-t25-j10414.html , the rest is labour? A mechanic mate of mine replaced a water pump for me on the side of the road in the dark with torch light in 2 hours and he had never done one before. Yes a guy is entitled to charge for his work however seems excessive. Did you request the work on the rear breaks or did he just need some odd jobs to boost the price.

16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Full service cost by VW Mechanic $300.00 approx Labour
    Water Pump from JK $110 + del
    Coolant from JK $18.60 per 1.5L so for 6 $110.00 approx
    Install Water Pump $200 ($100ph labour as it's abut the current going rate)
    Oil Filter $20
    Oil 4.5L $45 (min)
    So there's $800
    Spark Plugs?? $??
    Fan Belt ??
    Brakes may seem fine one service but need attention next is quite possible.
    AC - if it was same mechanic then possibly didn't pick it up last time but still wouldn't have taken much time.

Unless he itemised it in detail hard to say.

They don't missed you with adding some $$$ to cost of things (oil, plugs belts etc on top of what they pay for them) and if they don't have in stock and get urgent delivery then expect to pay delivery fee on item also.

Know I've spent a grand on a service on a bay but that included electronic ignition kit to go with new 009 dizzie - yeah ripped off on these 2 items price wise but old dizzie had shit itself and needed to get done + rear brake cylinders done also.

17. mike malli

mike malli Member

Ouch, that hurts, even if it is not my wallet

Mike

18. Mattyb!

Mattyb! New Member

Look if it had failed at my place not literally on his doorstep I could have done it myself. In the end it was only $300 more than I expected and he did do the extra stuff. So can;t really complain and he is a nice bloke for sure and van always runs well. I just wish I'd had a bit more time and not had the camping trip as I could have got the diagnosis done (ie checked the pump based on feedback here) and done the work myself. Ahh well:)

My current idea is to do all minor services myself and maybe use him for major and diagnostics... or vice versa.... and then do managable repairs myself rather than through the shop.

It is the diagnosis that lets me down as between here, my manual, and the rest of the interweb pretty much every thing you'd need to do is explained for me.

19. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

I hate those mechnics that fix stuff you don't ask for. All in a kind gesture! What a load of B.S. Then bill you up for it like it's normal.
    I took a car in once for a repair (Not a kombi and I cannot remember what for), but upon getting it back out and forking out about $400 I noticed the timing chain was ticking. I had this fixed about a year before so knew the noise and had attention already given to it. Nothing wrong with it before it went into the mechanic.
    I call the mechanic up straight away and said I drove it back from the mechanics and drove it round for one day before noticing the timing chain noise.
    He tells me to bring it in, so I do.
    I then get slugged $450 he serviced it and I never returned to the crook.
    Thing is I had to wait at the mechanics for him to arrive, he said he was away getting a kitchen quote for his house. I wonder if part of the kitchen costs $450. Seriously?!
    This is the sketchy feeling that I do not like about VW repair places in relation to this experience.
    Every time I went to this mechanic I noticed another car the same at the garage, certain it was a friend of the mechanic and they were taking parts of my car to fix up his mates. He would always fix what I requested (and the bloody rest) but certain he was taking a few other spares off to do this other vehicle up.
    This is why I am sketchy taking my VW to a repairman. I feel they may swap parts off cars to make life easy for themselves, yet still slug you a decent wage for a part they said they had to order in blah blah blah. I wonder sometimes if they just pull shit off other cars.

Mechanics and me are a hard mix, I bust balls for my money in this department, but am polite at the same time.
    Last time I took the commy in for the engine mounts to be serviced it came back overheating. I drove down there and went off at the dude (as the commy NEVER OVERHEATS!).
    After this I did a whole cooling system myself for the price of parts, fixed the problem and saved a wod of cash. Wish I was a mechanic! I would fix all your vans will no mucking around!
    I best stop typing now, having thoughts of crushing dodgy mechanics heads in a benchtop vice..... is that too much info? :) Be warned mechanics! I don't care how many number of tattoos you have, or the flash cars you service....

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012