Subaru Conversion

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Luckyphil, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

A mate Keith just drove back from Melbourne after having a 2.5 Subaru Impreza fitted. Cost $7k towed in drive away all included including suby motor. Sounds & goes sweet. I know what my next motor will be :)
    Keith will be posting all the details once he gets home to QLD
    IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1021.JPG IMG_1022.JPG

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Spreading the heresy :D
    Have to agree.;)

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

sad but true

4. Luckyphil

There is still lots of upgrades and bling that would boost the cost to $10k but this conversion is quick & painless and goes real nice & sounds mean too. :)

BrianK, 13bvw and David H like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Just noticed the exhaust on the bus.
    Noice.
    Just need to look into insurance and engineering costs

6. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

I will fill in deets when l get to Lismore this weekend.
    Prelim-feels: I know itsa-bitsa for Purists but this engine performs very very well. No more 86.3 kph up a hill. 110kph in a doddle. Ballarat to Sydney done yesterday. Drove thru Sydney traffic today; just 'point n squirt'.

I will report more on Sir VDubaru.

Callum Andrews and T3Baz like this.
  7. Jurgen Grossmutter

A most excellent thing to do. Some purists claim it's wrong. Like l reckon it is better to put a Subie boxer in there than an in-line VW. That is more in keeping with being a VW.

It does everything very easily. It also cheaper to replace. There is no hot start issues, no expensive coolant. It revs like a pushrod can't.

I have to give a shout out to Luke at Bayside Garage, Moorrabin. He did an excellent job. The engine bay was cleaned up to good standard. The motor has been presented well. The supplied engine had the water pump and timing belts done. I can thoroughly recommend him to do the job.

8. Luckyphil

Does he supply anything for engineering

9. Jurgen Grossmutter

I got to contact him about that. You know me bureaucracy is bs

BrianK and David H like this.
  10. tillis

tillis Active Member

Thats so funny a subaru is "more in keeping with being a VW"...fess up you feel guilty! Personally i think a Holden Ecotec V6 is the best and cheapest option.

7000 for a conversion when you already have the radiator and pipes? Sherman sells adaptor plate and flywheel for around 7-800...hmm wonder where there rest went?anyway enjoy...not criticizing...I have one of each...an aircooled and a conversion...luv em both!

11. peter915

peter915 Active Member

I have a 2.2 Subaru in my Syncro and think its great.
    If cash weren't an issue I throw a 6 cylinder Subaru petrol in it.
    But,
    - the biggest issue with these vehicles is the gearbox.
    Its the weak link

Syncro27 likes this.
  12. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Hmm cheap - but you get what you pay for.

Be careful of speed bumps with that sump and the low slung exhaust.

The adapter plate versions are a very cheap way of getting suby power.

Interesting coolant bottle - I wonder if the sensor is connected and compatible with the VW dash warning light?

13. Jurgen Grossmutter

I must ask about that red light and sensor in pressure tank. It's off a Merc; new of course.

I'm not going to lower the vehicle so clearance won't be too much of an issue.

I've seen his other work. He is a good tradesman. The exhaust runs to the front of the motor and crosses over, where the Cats are, so that pass side exhaust is actually drs side bank. Sump did concern me a bit. If it is an issue l will take it up with Luke. But l trust his judgement.

I did shop around on price but Luke also sounded the most interested in doing the job. Plus he is born 2 birthdates past Ferdy Porsche!

14. Jurgen Grossmutter

The gearbox will be looked at later. The H6 is much thirstier and for little gains in power.
    I am very happy with the torque / power mix.
    I have 2 recommended gearbox guys to go to. I'm looking at gear or diff ratio changes. To lengthen the drive / drop revs.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  15. Jurgen Grossmutter

Maybe l should've said boxer engine is in keeping with my desired outcome. An in-line or V-anything would look wrong...VW or not. I've always liked the layout. I've also owned 2 R series BMWs. And my most desired vehicle has been the 930 Porsche and other variants like the 959 etc. The only non-Flat engined vehicles l like are Peugeot and Ducati.

As for price l am happy to pay a tradesman what he's worth. I was a tradesman before l became a teacher. I've seen many ppl try n do my specialty with less than desired results.

Atm, I'm temporarily homeless, and have nowhere to work on a vehicle. So sorting a few basics is a more pressing need.

On the guilt issue l cant wipe the smile on my face driving this thing. I feel like Olga Kurylenko is my gf.

16. Syncro27

You can just cheat the red light so it seems to work but the two wires are basically just connected together and will give the same flashing red LED light on the dash which will go out after a few seconds. My syncro was previously connected like that.

Now its back to factory using the original VW sensor. I feel much better about that.

The 2.5L suby motor really goes well and gets excellent economy.

David H likes this.
  17. Jurgen Grossmutter

I worked out I'm getting 12.5lts per 100kms. I will look into the red light sensor. But l can hear thermo come on. It only happened in very long Sydney traffic hold up. But I'm a bit of a lead-foot re economy. Luke reckons those Merc bottles are much better.

18. Syncro27

The thermo fans are controlled by a sensor on the radiator - not the ECU unless your set-up was done that way via the Suby ECU. The sensor in the coolant bottle only works the LED of doom.

I agree that the stock VW coolant bottles are crap.

19. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Interested to know what Mercedes the tank is off.

20. Vamper1

Vamper1 Member

looks great !
    i had mine converted by Luke nearly 2 years ago
    $6200 plus $400 for aftermarket cruise control
    Engineers certificate cost $620 (engineer south of Sydney)
    My fuel use averages 10lts/100 klms -- 620 klms to 650klms a tank
    A Small Car Performance Sump gives better clearance
    Mine hasn"t missed a beat !!!!

13bvw, hairyman, Syncro27 and 3 others like this.