Subaru Conversion

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Luckyphil, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

The EG33 must really grunt as my 2.5 scooby in my syncro goes extremely well - they rev really well too. Fuel economy is great and they fit in the space so well and dont get hot. The EG 33 is really shoe-horned in the T3 engine bay and will suffer on very hot days.

2. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

:D
    Humbug :p when its done properly you dont have any issues :) besides, mines bigger than yours :D:D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Syncro27 likes this.
  3. peter915

peter915 Active Member

Geoff
    What have you done to your trans axle - have you strengthened any components ?

4. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

Every thing !!!.........Peloquin diff centre, 3.74 R&P, extra clutches, Kevlar band, 4 pin planets, higher pump pressure, air over oil fan controlled cooler, extended alloy oil pan, low stall converter plus bearings seals and bushes.

Did shear the pinion off the main shaft when in WA, I put that down to a trans I removed from a van that had a mega head on crash where the body had been compressed back too the "C" pillar ! I think the sudden stop must have loosened the pinion. These transaxles and 090 autos are generally bomb proof and have been used in many drag race vehicles. Give me a "gun" auto any day over that crazy miss-matched 5 speed.

David H and syncro like this.
  5. peter915

peter915 Active Member

Hmm... I hear you Geoff ,
    Autos have always been good handling that extra kW,s!
    What do think of the Peloquin diff, ? -I've been considering one

6. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

The autos are good? I've always thought that 4cyls are no good. I know that yours is 6cyl Wattie but still. Auto? Really? Auto you say? Wow.

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The T3 autos are very strong. Oettinger use them for higher kw conversions. Much stronger than manuals.

8. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

Works a treat, Old Bar turned into a lake one year ! we just drove out, a few didn't .
    The real test came when I ran out of fuel towing the caravan down Portland way, had no choice but to pull over with the nearside wheels in the mud facing uphill with the offside wheels on the bitumen, was low on fuel which ran to the back of the tank, my fault! did have a jerry can in the back :oops:
    The ultimate test with a loaded T3 a loaded caravan, uphill and one drive wheel in the mud, a quick stab on the loud pedal gets the diff to bite and off we went.:cool:
    Unlike a locker the Peloquin doesn't cause understeer (ploughing) when playing in the mud, functions as a normal diff on the road and no noise or abnormal tyre wear............expensive but worth it.:D

David H and Syncro27 like this.
  9. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

Amazing. I suppose with some decent power they mustf be alright. But if l did have an auto Wattie's setup sounds the goodz.

10. peter915

peter915 Active Member

11. Syncro27

I secretly love you huge donk Wattie - size is everything!

I think you could pull tree stumps out with that beast!

12. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

AW Gee Scott Ta :cool:
    ps The next time we meet take it for a drive, see how they compare ?

Syncro27 likes this.
  13. Syncro27

I take mine as gently as possible these days - too many gearbox rebuilds already!

14. Kafermeister

Kafermeister Member

I recall reading that if running the later engine with the earlier injection that you need to check that the trigger wheel at the front of the engine has the same number of triggers. But you mentioned you’ve switch all the timing hardware so I assume that’s not it.

15. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Yes you have to change the cam and crank pulleys.

16. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Any codes?