1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subi conversion

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by teethree, Sep 29, 2016.

1. teethree

teethree Member

I know this is a well and truly covered topic but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. No firm plans yet but I'm considering it in the near future.
    I'm looking for names and contact details of businesses who can do the conversion in Melbourne or Sydney.
    Anything would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Geoffro

Geoffro Member

I suspect this is the wrong place because these guys are all purists and consider a subaru conversion a trip to the darkside.

But...., I like 'em and would put forward the argument of the sohc 2,5 as opposed to the dohc which only looks good on paper, The H6 won't fit easily so forget it. Up here A&M from Noosa are the bees knees and they ask $10000 for a complete fit.

Can I suggest a reverse gear 5 speeder from Subarugears as these are really good? That'll set you back a neat $5K, so for a measly $2k you could keep it original and get more payola when you sell.

For sheer driving pleasure though, and Jap peace of mind , go the conversion.

Cheers

gk

3. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

There was someone advertising on Gumtree in Melbourne I think, can't find the ad at the moment.

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Resnort and Dapom like this.
  5. teethree

teethree Member

Thanks to all for responding. As I said in my initial post any info would be greatly appreciated. I do understand both sides of the argument and have a foot in each camp myself. It's getting hard to find anyone who will touch these motors around here and anyone who will wants to charge the earth so it's as much about practicality and economics as anything.
    Thanks again to all and keep the names coning if anyone thinks of someone.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Where are you based?

If the 6k conversion is truly a quality job then if I were in the hunt for a full rebuild on a wasserboxer then it would be slim chance of keeping the vw motor on a daily driver.

7. teethree

teethree Member

That's what I'm thinking. I'm in Perth but there is a possibility that I could have the vehicle in Melbourne or Sydney that's why I was asking the question.

8. sunburntwilly

sunburntwilly Member

I had my conversion done by Luke in Morabin Victoria he does heaps of conversions. As for the dark side well i cooked my motor and nobody would fix it. I tried a few vw places one in dandenong one in south melbourne a mob in northcote who said they would fix it $3800 but no warranty at all. I even spoke to a bloke in Sydney who said his brother would fit a vr6 $12000 i was impressed by that deal and sometime feel i should have taken the chance and stayed with pure vw but just not convinced about the reliability in the end. The sub conversion makes sense. The japanese build very reliable cars the European build excelent cars. Great road handling stiff chasey good fedback etc etc but unreliable. So marry the two. Now i have great performance magic in the twisties the 2.5 sohc is a brilliant motor designed in the end by VW so they say. Luke 0425 784 367. The T3s are a joy to drive and even more so with the suby motor. My other vw is original and a joy to drive.

9. teethree

teethree Member

I've spoken to Luke after someone else suggested him and have made arrangements. It's reassuring to hear multiple people recommend him. The process is under way so soon enough I'll be another 'convert'! Thanks for your input.

Syncro27 likes this.
  10. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Just throwing my 2c worth in - I know of others that have done a 2.5scooby conversion using and adapter plate (including me) with no issues except you loose the original Subaru flywheel and go back to a lighter VW flywheel which provides less torque to the motor.

I have purchased the Small car bellhousing kit to ensure I get a Subaru starter and flywheel for my re-conversion to a 2.5L Subaru EJ25.

Smallcar make an excellent kit which gets you almost all the way there.

Resnort likes this.
  11. teethree

teethree Member

I was wondering about the pro's and con's of the flywheel options. Thanks

12. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

13. teethree

teethree Member

14. sunburntwilly

sunburntwilly Member

I have the small car bellhousing. It leaves a gap at the bottom of the motor. I'm told it's nothing to worry about however mine is a syncro and I can see it getting filled with muck should i have to reverse out of a bog. It also means you use the suby clutch and slave cylinder which uses a lot less fluid to disengage. So you have to modify the pedal movement. Not sure what it is exactly something like an extra length of tube maybe? . I have done 12k since the conversion and do have some issue with clutch shudder and on wet days clutch was slipping in 3rd and 4th. That has sorted itself out over the past couple of weeks. Makes me wonder if the aforementioned gap lets contamination into the clutch housing. The clutch shudder has always been an issue.

15. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Subaru clutch shudder or judder and burnt plates have always been an issue and are perhaps the weakest part of an otherwise great series of cars. Subi forums are full of it - the only real fix is a new clutch.

16. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

and the head gaskets.......I gave up on my conversion due to being an AC model the radiators etc would have been too much work and money. and I owned a 2004 subi forester 2.5DOHC at the time, which was the worst piece of leaky crap engine ever. avoid like the plague. Thats why I decided if i want a leaky rattly engine I might aswell fix the original :D
    Not all jap is good and refined. I would go nissan any day over subi but an RB25det wont fit in the back of my bus.....

The gap at the bottom of the flywheel is not uncommon among normal cars. I'm not sure why they leave it there, but a cover should be easy enough to fabricate.

17. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

If you use the original plate from the Subaru and trim it down you can close the gap in the bellhousing.
    [​IMG]

Resnort and Syncro27 like this.
  18. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

pfft you're just not trying hard enough... Maybe a giant shoehorn? :p

Resnort likes this.
  19. sunburntwilly

sunburntwilly Member

The suby in the car park next to me had more oil on the concrete then in his sump. But there is a gasket upgrade that fixes that problem. So for what it's worth suby motor wise from my researched the sohc is les pron and the 2lt turbo is the most reliable. Anyway with the wbx the cracked heads and the cracked cylinder tube was the reason nobody wanted to fix it. There was corrosion in the bloke were the cylinder tube sits and the tube cracked when removing the head. I still have the motor with the idea i might be able to rebuild it.
    My other t3 has a great clutch action and the wbx motor has more torque then the suby motor. I can stall the suby motor very easily compared to vw but i can start the suby motor after stalling very easily compared the vw lol. Btw i have stopped stalling them.

Resnort likes this.
  20. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I went to the trouble and expense of buying an EJ25 in a working registered car which I drove around for a while to check for leaks of any kind.

It does however appear that my head gaskets have already been done - car only has 160000kms on it. Drives beautifully and has heaps of power.

I also bought the small car sourced stage 2 clutch which I understand removes the issue of clutch shudder.