1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subi conversion

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by teethree, Sep 29, 2016.

1. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

I did an EJ20 turbo into a mates syncro 14 years ago trust me go for the Subaru trans. He has a had 3 second hand boxes & 2 rebuilds in that time it is now sitting waiting to fit the suby trans. hopefully this will fix it & turn it into a usable off roader.

2. sunburntwilly

sunburntwilly Member

Yeah i have heard horror stories about the syncro transmission. According to a vw guru in nsw even the vw motor will chew out the gearbox in these things and if you talk to Sth Africa guys they put heavy braces over the top to stiffen the box as well as oiling plates and other stuff. I don't think subygears do 4wd trany. I know they are designing something but i think its a long way off.

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Syncro transmission problems are usually caused by the owners. The oiling plates were fitted factory to the 2wd in South Africa. I have never heard about the heavy braces.

4. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

And this is my issue, no engine should have that issue at 160k. Mine was so minor a leak it barely needed topping up, but every drop went straight to the exhaust manifold.....what a smell.

5. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Subaru put out a tech bulletin in 2001 to resolve the clutch judder issue to avoid doing a recall and replacing the clutch. They did my MY01 under warranty and it fixed the problem. If anyone can access that bulletin you will have lots of friends.

6. sunburntwilly

sunburntwilly Member

Hmm ok i might have misread the post in my haste. Some are using geabox braces to strengthen them for more powerful motors but thay are designed to strengthen them for the 5 cylinder motors they fit over there. Apparently the 5 cylinder motors vibration is more of a rocking motion that puts a lot of stress on the gearbox
    So from this design others have modified it for the syncro but if it is necessary I don't know.

7. Leighton

Leighton Member

What is the difference in value when you sell the original VW T3 compared to a converted Subaru ? Do u get ya $ back?

8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Will I ever get back the $32,500 I paid in 1988 for a new original CL Caravelle, still sporting a VW 2.1 wasserboxer? :rolleyes:

It's been rebuilt twice over the years, and running sweet, and still a "one owner" from new, with only ever 1 set of rego plates, (included in any sale).......

But will I get my money back? o_O

:p

Callum Andrews likes this.
  9. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

I kinda know this feeling. it's always been dads technically.... :) and ive still got the original plates

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I thought your's was a "private import"? :rolleyes:

Are those original plates European?

11. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I sold the Caravelle GL I bought new after 18 monts & didnt get my money back, I sold my next one after 6 years at a slight profit but I spent nothing on it. The next Caravelle & DOKA I spent heaps on as well as a lot of time and broke even and was told I wouldnt get as much back as I did in the end. My current van which started life as a $2k Caravelle C and referred to as "the money pit" by Dianne is pushing $20k and that dosnt include parts from vans I have parted out. Sounds to be a lot however at least $10k has been funded by parting T3's but a lot of my time has gone into that venture. So how much has it cost me well who knows and will I get it back well who knows. However I love driving it and do so every day and more recently I do get noticed quite a bit :)
    So in the end what do you want the van for, as an investment or to use and enjoy, I choose use and enjoy :)

Patroni, Grantus, Dapom and 3 others like this.
  12. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Todd at Subarugears has been doing syncro subi boxes for awhile the owners are slow on their builds so no feed back yet. maybe look at his FB page.

13. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Will I get the money back and the work that I've sunk into my bus ? .......... WHO CARES ! :) ..............its better than watching what passes as entertainment on moron TV :eek:.

Patroni, Syncro27 and Resnort like this.
  14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

If you think that you have a vehicle as an investment you are kidding yourself.

15. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Yes, but it never saw the road over there. Straight from being purchased and into the container to ship it this way.

Hey! I'm still young, it might happen.

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

How did it get registered here? With the private import scheme at that time you had to own and drive the vehicle for 12 months before it can be imported. Does it have a compliance plate?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  17. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Subarugears are working on a reversed dual range subi box this will be the ducks guts in any VW with dual range 5 speed 10 forward 2 reverse ratios who needs the G gear.

18. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

All very good questions. Nothing that the 1 year old I was at the time could answer....... As for the plate, I can honestly say I've not seen one

19. MikeCormack

MikeCormack Member

Can I still lock the diff with subarugears?

Syncro27 likes this.
  20. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Good evening Mike. not a true locker but from memory you can fit a quafe diff. have a look on his FB page or Subarugears web page for builds & parte for most vw aircooled & t3