SunnyJim Lowlight Restoration

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by SunnyJim, Jun 16, 2009.

1. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

71 splitscreen.jpg SunnyJim.JPG
    P1010104.jpg
    Well we have visited the site many times now but only as takers not givers. So we will start showing SunnyJim's makeover. I know everyone loves looking at the progress photos.

rust down below , I have read enough now to know the purists say replace metal with metal but no welder and I have always had a quiver of surfboards and resin in my veins so we used fibreglass but minimal bog.

below done and painted, not bad for amatuers. we still have more to do on the front. I was lucky supacheap Carnival yellow matched perfectly

sunnyjimfrontfixedb.jpg

Sam and Sunnyjim working on the roof, we removed the aerial
    DSC02720.jpg

pulled windscreen out and as guessed we got the typical rust

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

plenty of rust to go at there mate, keep em coming!

3. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Good luck and heaps of fun on your new project. Keep the pix coming mate.:)

4. SunnyJim

sunnyjim Resto question?

Help needed - removed all windows and sanding rust away now i got to the driver side back window. i removed the cover - it looks like just a false cover put on the non- sliding door side. so to really get the rust out i think i have to remove/ grind away this long strip with the many wings on it. it is spot welded in many places. if i remove i am sure i will damage it and it looks to serve no other purpose than to hold the false cover in place. i could put the false cover back in place without the winged strip.

advice please DSC02825_-_Copy (1).jpg

5. redhotchilliwilli

redhotchilliwilli New Member

dont cut it off ........ the reason it is there is that it puts pressure on the back of the cover so that it sits tight when screwed in. the other side(sliding door) is the same but it will have a metal strip with a screw in the end this is to pull the cover into place .good luck with the resto ,and do it right the first time and you'll never have to go back over it .
    good luck

6. old grey

old grey Well-Known Member

If only i could figure out how to get photos up of the old grey for you all, youll see how lucky you are with the little rust you have ! Good luck with sunnyjim and enjoy.

7. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

That is good advice guys, cant buy that panel either!

8. SunnyJim

Sunnyjim seats recovered

whilst Sunnyjim has all the windows out and we work on the body , we got the 2 front seats recovered and the middle 3 person seat done as well in a nice snake skin blue and cream vinyl.
    Front seat before and after. Done by my neighbour who owns a lounge business -Mal Devlin Lounges Brisbane. I reckon they are beaut! sorry about photos - photobucket problem.
    regards
    paul

sunnyjim old seat before1.JPG
    sunnyjim seat recovered1.jpg

9. grock

grock New Member

Very nice.

10. SunnyJim

When Sunnyjim met Xavier
    we are still getting ideas on what Sunnyjim will finally look like , so we invited Josh to bring his 72 lowlight Xavier over and talk to Sunnyjim
    Xavier next to sunnyjim . X is the lower more handsome one!
    xavier_and_sunnyjim.jpg
    xavier looking good here
    xavier3.jpg
    nice wooden steering wheel
    x_wooden_wheel (1).jpg

ACDC thunderstruck sounds great thru this boombox xavier_woofer (1).jpg

11. Carter

Carter Member

Great pics Paul and Sam! I can vouch for the excellent repair job happening on SunnyJim. while the purists love metal, it's not for everyone and what Paul and Sam are doing is pretty damn awesome. Very professional job for an 'amatuer'. They have inspired me to sometime start fixing up Xavier's growing patches of rust. I'm sure SunnyJim will be just as handsome if not more so when he is all done! thanks again for having me around guys :)

12. old bugger

old bugger Member

mate, doing your best and having a red hot go! can't ask for any more than that. love to see the finished product

13. SunnyJim

hi all -update - we have had a go at the roof- used white enamel paint- looks pretty good so far
    we keep fighting the good fight. somedays the end seems so far away!!
    thanks cbus for talking me thru on the phone!
    DSC03140.jpg
    from afar sofar
    DSC03131.jpg
    pillars and sills now look good

DSC03134.jpg

front on view
    DSC03135.jpg

passengersideprimed.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  14. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

Did you spay or roller that white on?

15. SunnyJim

kombirod
    we rollered it 4 to 5 coats and overall happy with result so far. we learnt we did have to thin the enamel paint or else too thick and it doesn't dry . the roller does leave a nice shiny but dimpled effect , we then sanded with 240- 400 wet dry , then 800 then 1200 to leave a good gloss
    paul

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Ill give u a call. Tipping the enamel with a brush will smooth it heaps
    col

17. DR DAN

DR DAN New Member

Looks good so far Paul, pretty good for amateurs. Can't wait to see more pics. If I can help in any way let me know again.

Dan

18. SunnyJim

Dan

I like the way yr van has that carpet neatly moulded , when we are closer to that point , would like to see it again to get some hints
    paul

19. SunnyJim

sunnyjim now primed

On the weekend we fired up the supercheap compressor with acrylic primer and had a go at sunnyjim. well we wiped the sunny look off it's face . the sunshine yellow has dissappeared . Don't fret - the yellow will return as a gloss top coat soon.

I have gone through the VW colour charts and could not see a very bright Yellow.
    Perhaps VW did not make one as original?
    Anyway we want the same colour.

CAN ANYONE RECCOMNED A PAINT CODE FOR A VERY BRIGHT YELLOW?

A couple of pics

front primed- I learnt you have the tear the tape off the right way. see the little rip, i did it the wrong way!
    sunnyjimfrontprimed.jpg

here is the passenger side primed

passengersideprimed.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  20. SunnyJim

DSC03492.jpg DSC03516.jpg DSC03499.jpg DSC03498.jpg DSC03492.jpg Sunnyjim shines again with acrylic rally yellow

On the weekend we put the top coats on, Acrylic Rally Yellow. It is a little more greeny yellow whereas the original colour was orangy yellow. Anyway we like it , and so far Acrylic for a DIY home sprayer is so much easier to work with than the Enamel that we put on the roof! where they meet is a bit of a problem

Probably no surfing this easter, just will try to get this knocked over. We still have the 2 passenger and sliding doors to sand prime and topcoat.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017