1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunshine Coast Cruise 18 Oct 09

Discussion in 'Queensland/Northern NSW' started by The Brewmaster, Oct 18, 2009.

1. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

stay out of this Grant !!!....
    and I am never wro.....wr.....wr....wr....you know what I mean.....:wtf:

2. The Brewmaster

The Brewmaster New Member

...................:lol: .....................

3. BelnMic

BelnMic New Member

We would love to roll up to the next "Sunday Sunshine Cruise Day" :) Gr8 pics everyone ;)

4. The Brewmaster

Guidelines for a Convoy we used with the Cruise

Here is a copy of the set of guidelines we gave to the cruisers last Sunday.

Thought it might be an interesting post to draw some comment on what people think needs to be added or deleted.

I will also post a copy of the route when I get home later today ....... big file .......

Cheers
    Brett

Convoy Cruise Guidelines​

for the Sunshine Coast VW Cruise Sunday 18 October 2009

These are just some common sense guidelines taken from http://www.gamineral.org/fieldtrip_convoy_guidelines.html

• First, before you leave, everyone should get full information about where you're going and how you'll get there. Then, as the convoy goes along, no one will get frantic about losing it and missing out on the trip. That way, they'll pay attention to what's going on around them instead of worrying. A quick copy of a hand drawn map or written directions would be best. Otherwise, talk slow so people can make notes.

.............You have a map and mobile numbers attached ................ Ian 0414 215 324 - 1960 Split pale blue

• Now, let's talk about the leader(s). Ian / Flockie and some dodgy SC Ute driver Brett 0407 748 781 (leap frogging the convoy with a camera)

The first car, Ian’s 1960 pale blue Split should contain the guide, Ian, who knows exactly how to get there AND the first car should have a mobile 0414 215 324, AND the first car sets the speed of the convoy on route.

The last car 1962 21 window Deluxe should also contain a guide, Flockie 0413 181 018 who knows how to get there AND has a mobile. That way, the last guy can tell the lead car when to slow down, to speed up, that there's a problem, or what else is happening.
    If someone has car trouble, the "tail-end Charlie" can also make sure they get the help they need and get on to the field trip when they can.

• The speed of the convoy is important. This is set by Ian in the lead vehicle. 1960 pale blue Split

Why?
    Ever watch a kid pull a Slinky across a rug while holding one end? The coils close up and spread out at random. The back end is standing still one minute and then moving faster than the front end the next. Well--that's what happens in a convoy. If all the cars went real slow, this stretching and shrinking might not be too bad. If they went real fast, things might get out of hand.

And, there are always road conditions, traffic lights, stop signs, and other traffic to worry about.

So, the first car should adjust speed according to what's going on.

After a stop sign, or after a traffic light or after a turn, slow way down until "tail-end Charlie" reports being by the point of change.

On the open road, set the speed of the cruise between 5 to 10 kilometres per hour under the speed limit. Then the stretching and shrinking won't get out of hand and no one will worry about getting left behind and the last car won't have to drive 100 once in a while.

• If you're driving in the convoy, there are some things to pay attention to, also--such as the plate number and colour of the car you are behind. Your distance behind the car in front should be as constant as you can make it. For safety reasons, you should observe the "2-second" rule--never be closer than 2 seconds behind (count "one thousand one, one thousand two").

If you see a car behind that isn't in the convoy and wants to pass, open up your spacing so they won't feel that they have to pass several cars at once. That way, they probably won't tailgate you.

Do you remember the old saying "Monkey see, monkey do"? That should be you in a convoy. If the car leading you shows brake lights, step on your brakes. If it shows a turn signal, turn on your signal. If it changes lanes, you change lanes. If it speeds up or slows down, you do the same. If it pulls to the shoulder, you do too. Every car in a convoy should travel with headlights on. That we you know who's part of the convoy, and everyone else knows you're part of it too. You can also flash your lights to alert the driver in front of you if you need to slow down, pull over, or stop.

• And, when you all get there with no problems, smile and start having a fantastic day.

If you think I'm exaggerating the possible convoy problems, you should see the exchange bulletins. EVERY ONE of the problems mentioned above recently happened on ONE car club’s convoy. Half the drivers got separated and were lost and NEVER got there. One car was delayed by an accident and the driver got a speeding ticket trying to catch up.

Adapted from the Source: http://www.gamineral.org/fieldtrip_convoy_guidelines.html

Cheers
    Ian, Flockie and Brett

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good day guys. well done. didnt make it as had stripped roof on another k to bare metal on sat n needed to have it painted sunday. Nice to see a few different vehicles n folks .
    hopefully catch you all next run
    cheers
    col

6. Archeress

Archeress Guest

Well lets hope we get feed back on this brett.....

7. Ian 68

Ian 68 New Member

You'd never guess the fella is a teacher would you ?

Be warned.......next cruize is being planned right now.
    We now have permission to use the afore hinted at venue.
    More info to follow once the West Country Council ( and honorable members, Brett and Mr Flock ) have had a meeting.
    Much beer will be consumed in the detailing of the cruize...........

8. Archeress

Archeress Guest

geez at this rate ian you guys will have to.....never mind..lol..

9. Golfy

Golfy Member

Sunshine Coast Cruise

Hi! Brett and Ian, We had a great time on the cruise, lots of fun and laughter. and the route was great you did a great job in the organizing of it, Glad your are organizing another one, what date so we can make sure we don't book anything else for the same day. See you all soon. Great pictures Brett.
    Lynn and Cornish.

10. Ian 68

Ian 68 New Member

Mr & Mrs Cornish,

Or " Don " Cornish as you are now to be known as head of the West Country Mafia, we'll start working on dates very soon, maybe even this week if I can get everyone together.
    We've taken on board some of what was said on the day and the next run will not have the option of a pub lunch or chip shop. Everyone will have to either BBQ or bring a picnic which will keep us all together.
    A senior member of the WCM ( West Country Mafia ) has already been hard at work to secure the venue which I have to say looks like being a great place to lay up and enjoy another Family / laid back day.
    As soon as we've got to together to sort a route / date I'll get it on here asap.
    Thanks again for the kind comments Mr & Mrs C, always lovely to see you both !

Ian & Julie ( and the rest of the WCM )

11. The Brewmaster

Bloody Hell what have we done?

................... bringing together the WEST COAST MAFIA ................. and bringing out the Don ...................... :eek:

I can not be one of the WCM ......... as I speak with a 'funny accent" ................. they just tolerate me ................... :lol: ...................