1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surface Rust Protection and Prevention?

Discussion in 'Body' started by browndogproductions, Jun 30, 2014.

1. browndogproductions

browndogproductions New Member

Hi Everyone,

I fortunately managed to pick up a nice and original 74 Bay Window from a farm on the boarder of NSW and VIC. It has a great patina on the roof that has never been treated. I want to prevent it from turning into anything nasty! What products are out there to do this and how effective are they? I am also curious about the effects on the surrounding paint as I don't want any discolouration.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Ankor wax is best bet.
    Will darken colour a bit. More of a matt wet look finish.
    Or penatrol. Will work really well but you need to be more careful of runs.

Otherwise you could clear coat but it would be hit and miss as to getting g a product that would actually seal the oxygen layer to prevent rust. Therefore most likely to fail.

3. browndogproductions

browndogproductions New Member

Thanks heaps!

I will give the Ankor wax a whirl. :)

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

x2 for Ankor wax....great product that really gets in & seals out the elements.
    You'll need to strip it off completely though if you intend to paint the bus at a later date.
    If you're going to paint it sooner rather than later, use Penetrol....another great product that promotes paint adhesion as well as sealing out the elements.

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Agree with the comments above.

However, I'm led to believe, that penetrol alone, is not UV resistant, and needs a top coat to complete the process...... but I could be wrong:rolleyes:

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The penetrol works well but is shinier than Ankor wax initialy.
    As Grant said, its not UV tolerant . It will start degrading [although stillprotecting] in 6 months of summer sun exposure.
    it would need repeating[as does ankor wax]and would 'build' more than ankor wax
    great for a quickie rust and adhesion pretreatment before painting with alkyd paints. [not up to correct automotive standards which require physical prep and phosporic or tannic acid type pre prep, [But works realy well.]

Im converted to ankor wax in suitable applications[yours]
    thread here somewhere on a comparison between a few treatments and photos plus description of results was convincing. [been in the trade many years and have low regard for reps with 'new' and 'improved' products that are strangely 'replaced' in six months.

wont hurt paint.

will darken slightlyas Brad suggested but ALL products will do same on rust.

Ankor wax most suited product and easiest applied/reapplied/durable for your situation.

will need removing with suitable solvent before any painting
    Have considered spraying with flat Poly U 400 clear to maintain same patina but as usual . Still to try it :)

7. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

You can get POR15 in clear if you want a really permanent coating!

8. Surf77

Surf77 Member

Hi Dan,

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthr...ty-rust-treatment&highlight=cavity protection

I put this thread together and have been using Penatrol and Ankor Wax for all sorts of stuff since. The first part is not really worth reading but the second experiment will show you how they work over time.

Cbus is spot on IMO. Go with Ankor wax for your roof. it's easy to reapply and wont build up as the years and reapplications go by (old layer under each fresh layer). It also has a dull finish on patina that looks great.

Have a read of the thread if you're interested. I'll take another photo to update it when I get around to it. They are all wearing out after about 15 months but the Ankor wax would be easiest to maintain.

To apply, I'd clean it well then apply with a cloth soaked in Ankor Wax. keep it thin (wipe off excess) and let it dry somewhere where it won't get dusty. You could keep applying as often as you like.

Cheers,

Connor

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Thanks Conner.
    I was too lazy to search for the thread.:)
    cheers
    col

10. nickc

nickc Member