1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surfers' Stories

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jon ward, May 12, 2010.

1. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Know the lifeguards at ulu and on kuta. Ulu is good but can get bit big for longboards

2. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

Anyone get any waves this weekend? The local looked pretty sweet this afternoon, but I'm laid up with dodgy ear that's agony.

3. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Was too lumpy down my way.

Checked it early but then did other less exciting things all day.

4. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

It was lumpy & horrible down this way, so I went for coffee & then lunch with a couple of old friends.:D
    Werri Point was going off late this afternoon, but it was so crowded with bloody tourists.:lol:

5. mannmade

mannmade Member

took this pic standing in a pit with a lumix underwater camera.... its pretty cool :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  6. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

That's just freakin mad. Brilliant. Million dollar question - where?

(not that I'd get in it!)

7. mannmade

mannmade Member

well..... that photo was taken out the back of my place, just up the beach a bit. Near Rye Car park on the mornington peninsula in victoria. GusW surfs here a fair bit. Oh and it was the luckiest photo o have ever taken!

8. another Harvey

another Harvey New Member

Congrats man, that is one for the ages..

9. GusW

GusW New Member

When was that Sam? Awesome photo.

10. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Here is a couple I pilfered from somewhere;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I am a happy little camper, I used to surf very poorly about 8 years ago (uk put and end to it). Came back a bit heavier and my mini mal doesn't float me anymore.

My wife just bought me a 9'2" McTavish board that was made by Bob himself for one of the Gold Coasts Older surfers.

I am looking for a nice easy area with no rocks and not to many people to learn again. Either sunshine or gold coasts. Any suggestions.

I have heard Bribie Island is good (believe it or not) because there are no good surfers about and waves are norm about 2 foot.

Any recommendations?

12. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

Hey Brad,
    I bailed from the Goldy about 15 years ago and am appalled by how crowded it has gotten. Not so long ago one could surf (Old) Kirra, Burleigh, Snapper, the Alley and get a wave that you could call your own without too much hassle.

By contrast, I was surfing the Superwank a few months back (first and last time) and a guy excused himself from a blatant dropin by saying, "What? You didn't really expect to get a wave to yourself out here , didya?" I was too gobsmacked to respond, paddled in, chewed my wife's ear off about the old days, and headed back to the north coast NSW where I shared an alltime session with about six other people.

My advice would be not to try to learn to surf on the Goldy or the Sunny Coasts. Unless you've got a hide as thick as a walrus, the attitude is bound to put you off for good.

That said, and not having been to the Sunny Coast to surf for years, I recall getting some good, relatively uncrowded waves at Kings Beach in Caloundra. Or move to North Straddie. Or 1770?

13. winerot

winerot Active Member

hey red kev, i see moonee thats coffs from i am guessing is it, i live up the road mullaway
    where doing my morning paper deliveries i always see empty beaches & waves its the best part of the east coast from here to ballina 90% national park & 90% empty ssssshhhhhh keep it on the down low.

14. Carter

Carter Member

try being a bodyboarder on the goldy.. not fun.

some might say I deserve it though - thats cool.

I've tried my hand at surfing - loved both :)

Ocean isn't owned by anyone, stand up, or speed bump alike... bit of common courtesy never goes astray but hey, it used to be all about fun once i've heard haha.

Can't beat Burleigh's sharkies, froggies for all the boogers out there. Would say D'bah but you know, im not going to

15. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

Absolutely, Wal. We might not have the out-and-out classic waves that SE Qld and elsewhere has, but if you construed some kind of 'surfability quotient' (like quality x number of waves caught divided by number of surfers) I reckon we'd come out pretty much on top. And then if you've got a 4WD, man, the possibilities are almost endless. But you're right ... shhhhhhhhh

(Keep meaning to pop in, too, and say g'day, Wal. Will have to get around to this week. Just struggling to find time to get the front cab ankor waxed and dynamatted.)

16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

The nephew had his birthday a few weeks back and his Dad (my brother) relinguished and bought him a new surfboard board was shaped by Rex Marachel. Much to their surprise this is what they found as the logo on the bottom of the board -

[​IMG]

Design on the top of the board is something he found -

[​IMG]

Not sure where he surfs on the NSW Central Coast but think he's just getting into boardriders and got a 4th on his 2nd day of comp :) go CD

17. baykruzer

baykruzer Member

couple shots from todays action on the goldy...... was about 3-4ft and straight offshore. The swell was to straight for the northern beaches so we headed south to the points with old mals in tow.
    This was the view from greenmount point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. baykruzer

baykruzer Member

19. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Man, how do you put up with those crowds?

20. baykruzer

baykruzer Member

i live by the surfing rule, in early out early.
    not often that i head to the points because it is usually a shit fight.