1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surfers' Stories

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jon ward, May 12, 2010.

1. t2

t2 New Member

i am going to cloud 9 in october,, cant wait

2. Zed

Zed New Member

Consistant excellent surf in Vicco over the past few weeks with 3 to 6ft super clean conditions. Only thing is it's absolutely freezing - air temp at 13th beach this morning was 3deg C. and 2 yesterday.

3. GusW

GusW New Member

Too cold and too much west in it down this way Zed. Where did you get in? West coast?

4. winerot

winerot Active Member

hey baykruzer, thats about the least amount of people ive seen up there mind you hardly get to the gold coast nowadays its been a few years.
    wally

5. baykruzer

baykruzer Member

yeah was a funny kind of day Wally.
    100% offshore at the northern end of the coast but very straight. we only went to the point to see if there was anymore swell and we were suprised with what we found. Not only bigger swell but little to no wind at all.
    Happy Days.........
    It was getting busy when we got out at 8:30am and the wind was comming up as well.
    We were happy to get a few quiet hours in before the crowd turned up.

6. kombiboys

kombiboys New Member

Gusw I just had a look at Dreamland and Medewi they look good , how far from Kuta as we are thinking of staying there or somewhere close . I ride a 9'2 takyama and a 9'8 Robert August , thinking of taking the 9'2 . I have not been to Indo yet would be good to get some info. from some one that has been there .

7. GusW

GusW New Member

Dreamland and Medewi are in opposite directions. Dreamland is down south on the Bukit Peninsula (about 20 30mins from Kuta). I stayed at Mick's Place which is on the cliffs above Bingin (Not really a mal wave), about 200m from Dreamland. Great views across the Peninsula right the way to Uluwatu. Really nice spot. There is heaps of other cheap accommodation down there. Unfortunately, they've plonked a massive hotel right on the beach at Dreamland. Kinda spoils the place a bit. But its still nice.
    Medewi is further north, about three, maybe four hours drive. You have to surf there early. There are a few accommodation options up there and its pretty cheap I think. Maybe just do a Google search.
    There's also some good fun waves along the beaches in Kuta and Legian. Hope this all helps. If you need any more info, just asked. Have a great trip.

8. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

you MUST check out the new surf spot. Keramas. 1 hour from kuta. world class wave, hold comps there, when its on. it is on.

Dreamland no longer like the old days, Uluwatu is a great wave too.

9. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

KAI , I surfed at Kermanas in 1979 so its not really a new spot . Actually they are all ancient really I guess. Mitchell

10. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

Darin cloud nine NOICE I love that place.

Where you staying

Mitchell

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  11. kombiboys

kombiboys New Member

Thanks for the help I have time to find a place as it will be around may 2011 when we go

12. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Well its new mainstream, still a dirt road to get there.

13. t2

t2 New Member

got a mate that goes to cloud 9 every year for 3 months , his buddy from cronulla owns a restaurant with rooms on top of it right in front of cloud nine, i dont know what it is called but thats where i am staying.
    check out cloud 9, in this vid my buddy is 30 seconds and 1.02 seconds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCN0j9v2zJs
    here he goes again , this is shark island a few weeks ago..ouch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM_05u_oXx8

14. Zed

Zed New Member

Yeah Gus, mainly around the 13th beach / Point Impossible area. This has been the best start to winter we've had in ages. Today again super clean 1.5m swell on the west coast. Still plenty of hard core crew out there braving the icy conditions too.

15. GusW

GusW New Member

Zed: I was going to head over that way, but couldn't rustle up a wing man(Ferry is a bit expensive for a solo trip). Still might pop in for a paddle this arvo, want to test out a new board.
    Kai: The road to Ulus used to be a bumpy dirt track about ten years ago. Things are getting developed so quickly over there. Now theres a huge reort on the clifftop. Is Kermanas a wet season spot?

16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

It usually our winter spot but still pumps over xmas time, ulu is good my dad was lifeguard there for a while "back in the day" Still knows them all.

17. GusW

GusW New Member

There's a very cool vibe at ulus. Walking down the cliff, paddling out the cave, getting dropped in on by Brazillian surfers. The locals take photos now and a positioned all over the cliff. You can buy them at about $5 a pop. A good little business. We surfed there every day for a week back in April, before we took off for Sumatra. Very clean four foot and not too many out. Maybe 50. Surfed big Sanur too.

18. t2

t2 New Member

i surfed ulus back in 1999 i spent 2 months in bali surfing all over the place it was great.
    Saying that one day i was out at ulus and there was a young Aussie kid out that surfed very well, anyway this one wave a local drops in on the kid , the kid falls off, gets back on his board, the kid didnt do anything and said nothing just started paddling back out, then the local knob starts yelling at him "what do i look like Japanese, dont drop in on me again" then he paddles over and punches the kid in the face and tells him to get out of the water..
    Great waves though, shame its a left..

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  19. GusW

GusW New Member

I'm goofy, so I love Bali. Just about all lefts. I've found the locals there pretty cool. Especially considering how many people come from all over the world to surf their waves. Some of them even call you on to waves. Their surfing has really improved over the past few years too. There's some awesome young Balinese surfers now. I guess you get wankers of all nationality and religion though hey. I mean we all get shirty with the smart alec young kids ripping it up, but dropping in and punching is all a bit much .

20. kombiboys

kombiboys New Member

I still haven't had a wet suit on yet, water temp up here on the sunny coast is still 22 dec.:cool: