1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surfers' Stories

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jon ward, May 12, 2010.

1. Zed

Zed New Member

Gus, what sort of new board are you testing? I'm currently riding a 9'6" mal but am looking at buying an 8' superfish. I'd never part with my mal, but wanted something that could essentially still be riden as a short board. Do you know anything about them?

2. GusW

GusW New Member

Just picked up a 2nd hand Webber Afterburner 6'6" x 19.5. I wanted to give an epoxy board a go. Haven't really had a chance to use it yet. I've got a fish and I love surfing it. Its not that big though. It paddles like a mal, but rides more like a short board. Great fun and I can catch anything on it. This is the 2nd fish I've owned. The first one didn't like anything much over 4 foot, but this one handles a bit more size. Can't tell you much about the Superfish though.

3. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I agree with what GusW is saying here...

4. Zed

Zed New Member

I put a deposit on an 8' superfish this morning but due to finances won't be picking it up for a few weeks yet. I needed to go the 8' as I'm 6'2 and around 95kg so need plenty of floatation. Can't wait to take it out now.

5. Barnesey

Barnesey New Member

Hi Guys, i was riding a 9' fribreglass mal and being 6-2 and 94kl found it slow and hard to turn so i junped to a 9' epoxy, it paddles like a dream and you can actually through it around like a small board, only problem in big wave it holds up and makes it harder getting down the face. I surf the west coast in victoria so not always perfect conditions. i am now looking at getting a 7' fish so i can get through the break a bit easier and hopefully through it around . Time will tell.
    Cheers Glenn

6. GusW

GusW New Member

Being tall is definately not helpful when surfing. Helps in most other sports tho. I'm 6'4" and about 90kg, but the new board performed well. The epoxy definately gives you a bit more bouyancy and its heaps lighter. I don't know how well it will go in choppier conditions.

7. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Epoxy is good for small calm days but nothing beats the fibreglass board when things start to get hairy!

Iam 5'6 and 95kgs and ride a 9'1 fibreglass longboard.
    Have being riding one for 12 years now, will never go back to a shorty.

8. GusW

GusW New Member

Yeah Jon, I thought it might not be the best with a bit of chop on the face.

9. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Hey twincabay, kais dad here.

How did you get to keramas, Bali in those day? Would have been hard by road as it was all rice paddocks in those days. and still now, but new development of resort and villas are going in.

I have some photos of our recent trip over there, not big surf, fun surf 2-3ft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

Anyone taking their board/s to Valla? It's got a couple of good breaks if conditions are right.

11. marcus

marcus Member

I bought a custom 7'2 fish from Jackson Longboards at Cronulla in Sydney. What an amazing board, I havent ever really surfed a short board but I presume it's the closest thing to a shortboard without riding a shortboard.

For around the same price of a Superfish you get custom made to your specs, with your name on it in the colour you want, plus the money stays in the country.

12. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Sure am!

Last Valla, Chucky,Brendan(Vanrex) and I got a right hander infront of the surf club all to ourselves!

13. chopper

chopper New Member

Surfed Sumbawa (Lakey Peak) in 2001. Awesome waves. Stayed there for 6 weeks. Have surfed Medewi, Langbongan and beachies in Bali. Don't surf too much anymore these days but am fully intending to get back into it this summer.

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Hey Chopper :) Long time no hear. How you been ?

Are you on the coast for a while or just a week or two off?

cheers
    col

15. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

16. Ray

Ray Member

Snapper Rocks

Arrived at Snapper last Saturday at 6:30am (14th Aug) to find a pretty solid surf especially behind the rock. I been surfing for 40 years and probably haven't seen such a dramatic change in swell. Went from a solid over head to about knee high by 10am. the wind went from SW to NW and the swell just disappeared. Anyone else find a similar sinario last week end?

[​IMG]
    My son Sam and his mate Jackson ready to hit the water.

17. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

Okay ... so... I've got the mother-in-law for six weeks, PLUS the great aunt, PLUS a six-month-old, PLUS a very neurotic dog, AND 30 cubic metres of dirt sitting on my front lawn waiting for a shovel. So that's my excuse. What's yours? C'mon, someone, somewhere must be getting waves. Show us ya pics for those otherwise engaged.

18. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

"Secret" slab this morning ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. greenbay

greenbay New Member

moonee ???

20. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

That'd be telling ... ;) But no, not Moonee.