1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swagman conversions

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Deluxe, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Hi everyone...am trying to do some research on my swagman conversion..
    Does anyone have details of the company or of the conversion work?
    Cheers
    Shurms

2. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

mmm...not suprised by the silence here...when I saw your other post I though..."never heard of that one" so I too will be interested to see! Hope something comes up for you...someone must know???

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The factory was in Lidcombe, Sydney and closed down around 1976. Cupboards were fibreglass and the roof had a lower profile than the Soprus.

What else do you want to know?

4. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Old Man Crew has a full fibreglass fit out...may be one???

5. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Thanks guys. Yeah - just wondered if there were any details on the conversions - books etc. Mines a 76 so I guess mustve been one of the last out of the factory....

6. billy the kid

billy the kid New Member

I thought they were a Noosa surfboard company that got in to doing a few Kombi conversions?

I have brought a few of them and think that the interior is well designed with some great little touches. Plus light weight and not gonna turn in to weetbix when it gets wet!!

I have some paperwork on them in my workshop so will have a look for you..

7. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Hi all - Restarting this thread....have searched high and low on the web and through books but Swagman's are still proving to be somewhat of a mystery...
    Can anyone help at all with any definitive history on the company?
    Cheers
    Dave

Swag Girl likes this.
  8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

See if you can get some old magazines as they used to advertise a lot. Try the Sydney library.

9. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Thanks Phill - will have a look at the library.
    Someone got in touch to say that they recognised the Landcruiser Campmobile name from my wheelcover and that a company by that name carried out the conversion on their Sunliner roofed camper (in Brookvale). Anyone heard anything about Landcruiser Campmobiles or their association with Swagman/Sunliner?
    Cheers
    Dave

10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

When the company closed, they auction off everything singly. So it was doubtful if they were taken over by another company. A few of my friends went to the auction as I worked nearby at the time. Your spare wheel cover should have Swagman and a hat on it.

Keep us informed with what you find out.

11. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Will do...

This is the wheelcover that came with the van...

[​IMG]

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That wheelcover is much newer than the van.

(Nice van BTW)

13. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Thanks :) Will be even better when it's had its new paint job next week.
    All slightly confusing really...the wheel cover is actually not much newer than the van it would seem
    I have the history of the thing - delivered as a panel to a company in the city called Geo. Cornish P/L new in '76 (since gone out of business) by Lanock in Maroubra.
    I have a receipt with the top missing so I cant see the company name dated 13/10/78 - all I can make out is ????? Camping Centre 90-94 Parramatta Rd, Stanmore for $305.10 - the handwriting is hard to make out but it says something about a campervan Fibreglass ??? which I guess must be the roof or fitout by Swagman?
    Then have the receipt from Land Cruiser Conversions PTY LTD, Lidcombe dated 6/4/79 when the van was 3 yrs old...they fitted a water tank, new sink unit and shelf unit at a grand cost of $143.31
    Am guessing that Geo Cornish sold the vehicle and someone bought and converted it.
    Also have a receipt for treatment work done by 'Endrust' for rust prevention in 76 which possibly explains why its in such good condition?
    Love history incase you couldnt tell !!

Swag Girl likes this.
  14. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Just checked something else - the windows have stickers on saying 'Windows by Land Cruisers Australia Pty Ltd'. My latest theory from the dates etc is that it's possibly a bit of a mixture. Panelvan with a Swagman roof fitted in '78 (possibly this was done by a company who bought the roof from a camping centre who got it from Swagman top and some fittings at an auction?? - maybe Land Cruiser??) windows were fitted and a sink etc over the course of 78/79. I'll take some pics of the interior and see what people make of that....

15. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Managed to get my hands on a Swagman brochure! It is very interesting but still doesnt answer all of my questions, in fact it poses some more...
    Swagman was not the name of the company, the company was called Austro-Camp-Away Conversions based out of Lidcombe, Ringwood & Hillcrest...have googled them and there is nothing...
    So here is my theory on my van...
    It was used as a panelvan for 2 years from new. Windows were cut in by Land Cruiser as well as the sink. My interior I am told is very Sopru?? (see last picture below). The pop-top is definitely Swagman...so all in all it's a bit of a hybrid...
    Thoughts appreciated on my theory....

Couple of brochure pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My interior....Sopru?

[​IMG]

16. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Sorry, i have the top 2 the right way up in photobucket but they still display on their sides here

17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

They are the right way up to me.

18. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

how odd...still on their sides here. maybe it's because the originals that were on their sides are still somewhere on my computer - so to me they still appear sideways...

19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Not sure about Sopru as photo is too small. I think that Swagmans were all fibreglass.:umm:

20. perksyaus

perksyaus Member

The interior of my bus is fibreglass (1976 as well) - I tried to find out some info when I went searching for an annexe to fit it, but could only find the name - Sunliner. The interior is real old now - I've tried to redo the fibreglass holes for the door screws, but I think I'll eventually have to get the interior re-fitted

Denise