Sway bars

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by k00k, Feb 9, 2017.

1. k00k

k00k Member

Hi there, I'm just wanting some advice regards sway bars. I want to add a sway bar to the rear and was wondering what's the best available? Also is it worth replacing the front factory sway bar? As far as I know it's still the original. I've just put Koni adjustable shocks all round so figured I may as well sort the rest of it out. Bus has been lowered a little, on 17x7 Fuchs reps with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres. Thanks for any advice.

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

What sort of van Split, Bay, T3, T4.....

3. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Just wondering why you need the rear sway bar?
    I know lots of people go for them... just curious...
    Getting bumped around a bit in the wind? Did lowering help with that at all?
    Is your steering tight?

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

5. k00k

k00k Member

It's a 75 T2 Bay. I've read that it helps with reducing buffeting/wander from crosswinds. Its generally pretty stable, but once you get over about 80kph if its windy, it tends to wander a bit. I guess that's going to happen seeing as its just a big box, but just trying to reduce it as much as possible. Steering is all good, box was leaking but put a new seal in and that's sorted. New drag link and steering damper has also tightened it up, the previous ones were worn out. Thanks cbus, I will have a read through ratwell.

6. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

I know that Leons motors in Brissy have fitted quite a few sway bars to the rear of bays mainly to reduce the problems that occur with cross winds etc !! I have heard from folks that have them fitted & that they say they do work ! However I haven't personally driven a bus with a rear sway bar fitted so can't really give a honest opinion as to whether there is a significant difference in the handling or not !! ;)

7. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Sway bars are an excellent addition to a kombi, particularly a camper/bus.
    If you are adding a rear sway bar I would upgrade the front to keep the handling front and rear on the same level (i.e. not change the understeer/oversteer balance)

David H likes this.
  8. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Can limit suspension travel on uneven ground causing loss of traction when crossing gutters etc.

David H likes this.
  9. k00k

k00k Member

Mr Ratwell seems to have some mixed thoughts on rear sway bars, good for country driving, less buffeting etc, not so good for entering driveways, I imagine not so good off road also. He says the best first thing you should do is upgrade to the Koni Red oil filled shocks which I've done. http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Koni.html If anyone is chasing the Konis, Bus Depot has them in stock.
    I cant drive the bus at the moment as the engine is still away being rebuilt, hopefully back in next week. I'm going to spring for some new sway bars front & rear anyway and give them a try, can always swap things around until I find the mix I want. I mainly want good grip at highway/country driving speeds for safety reasons, not keen on being blown off the road

10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Sway bars i doubt will help tracking caused by #1 lowering & #2 running wider rimes and tyres.
    Sway bars really designed to help body roll while cornering ie. you can go faster around them with better stability via torsion rigidity to front &/or rear suspension.
    Lowering does assist with reducing buffeting by cross winds but you'll never be able to eliminate it simply because of the shape of a Kombi.
    Doubt sway bars will increase grip ..... more to do with tyre quality.

Purely my opinion after having a 1973 kombi with 16x7.5 Audi mags lowered - need to check some photos of Igor to see if rear sway bar fitted.

stusbus and David H like this.
  11. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Super Sports on a Kombi? I have them on my 335i but it has over 400nm of torque and loves bends. My 76 bay does not.
    At least you'll be super safe in the braking and handling department!
    Will check out the Konis at BS. I had Koni yellow adjustable on my Clio RS and loved them.
    Thanks

12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Warning ...long post coming.:cool:
    Tyres don't give a s**t when they are up off the ground:). That's what sway bars do. Rigidise the chassis.

These buses are about balance & which wheel is doing the work & does it have contact!
    It's real easy to 'lift a wheel' on a rigid chassis like Kombis esp with a 'stiff' front bar.

To reverse...........

So when my 76's used to break front sway bar on the LHS (most work) I used to replace them with 'factory' when it was available & whilst I had no sway bar I explored what was different. Bloody bus became a 4wd (almost)??:p Vehicle nearly 'walked any where'.

Early 2000..... no longer available.....after market front bar (mounts differently).... a bit thicker...works a treat!:)Stiffened the forward/aft movement of vehicle balance.

NEVER had a rear bar!

These buses are about balance!:rolleyes: Wobbles! Contact to ground!;)

From the FRONT to the rear. Left to right!

Hold the front 'stiff' & that will help the back. It's about where the weight & inertia is.

It's about where the weight that needs to be dealt with & 'balance when you corner'.

The rear needs no help but I've never driven a bus with a rear sway bar!:rolleyes: I rather like the way the 'back' can be a bit 'follow me' & that's about the front end!:rolleyes: not letting the back become the front!:D

I reckon if you make the front 'less flexible' (more rigid) the rear will follow! & we all want the rear following the front!!

Conversely.. if the back is stiffer it will have a greater tendency to become the 'front'.

If you break/disconnect your front sway bar you can go 4wdriving.!!

Deal with the front of your bus first. Stiffen it.

See how it 'balances' the vehicle!

Cheers,

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  13. mr930

mr930 Member

I put a rear sway bar on ours, it has improved it heaps. Before it would wander around when a breeze blew. Now it's heaps better. Ours is lowered on 17s as well.

stusbus likes this.
  14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Igor didn't have sway bars

[​IMG]

15. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

After breaking 2 sway bars I just never replaced it in the end and quiet frankly I couldn't tell the difference - maybe I just drive like and old man (not that old man :p)

No rear bars on my kombis either.

16. k00k

k00k Member

Yes PSS on a kombi :) I've had them on an M3, M125i, Passat wagon, Golf and also Ps2's on my RS Clio! I cant praise PSS enough, brilliant tyre in my opinion. After all the thoughts here and ratwell I've now decided I'll just order a replacement front sway bar and drive the car. The front sway bar has a few nicks in it, so needs replacing. I haven't even driven the bus with the Konis yet due to a lack of an engine! I'll see how she goes with a new front sway first and report back.
    Next headache is to sort out the paint, paint as is, or take the body off which no doubt means months & months of work...

20170211_144422.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  17. Alpal

Take the body off what??

18. k00k

k00k Member

My mistake, meant take as much as possible off body, bottom of bus has surface rust over it, particularly passenger area floorpan, so it's trying to decide how far to go. Paint is thin on the body so that's getting redone no matter what. Doing underneath means a whole lot more work for someone, which means a whole lot more dollars. I have a stuffed back from a spinal fusion gone wrong so can't really contribute much in the way of help. How the underneath gets done I have no idea as I've not looked into it yet...

19. Alpal

Get a quote for cost and timing so you know what you are getting for your dollars.. Good luck.

20. Alpal

You got ripped off. Thats only half a tyre!