Sway bars

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by k00k, Feb 9, 2017.

1. k00k

k00k Member

lol, yeah it looks a bit light on for features from the outside, plenty going on inside though. Brilliant tyres

20170213_074446.jpg

vassy69SC likes this.
  2. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Where did you get your Koni Red's Mal?

Had PSS on my Clio Rs 197 R27 and Megane 225 Cup, great on both :)

3. k00k

k00k Member

Hey Dan, nice Renaults! I've also had PSS on M3, M125i, V6 Passat wagon (quick wagon!) and a Golf, PS2's on my Clio RS. Clios popular here! I got the Konis from Bus Depot, they have the correct models for front & rear. You would need same part numbers as mine. Not cheap, the prices are for a single shock. Figured it was worth the price, they get excellent reviews. They only have so much stock, once its gone its gone...
    Front
    http://www.busdepot.com/802110
    Rear
    http://www.busdepot.com/802220
    Ratwells blurb on them, half way down are part numbers for the different years from 55 - 79
    http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Koni.html

PS : They are also serviceable

4. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks Mal - very tempting! :rolleyes:
    I could justify it as a safety thing surely? Better braking, better steering for collision avoidance..?
    I do have all the rims off too at the moment getting painted, so access is easy, it would seem silly not too while they're off right? ;)

5. k00k

k00k Member

Exactly, just do it ;) They come preset for kombis so no need to adjust. I paid for FedEx Air Economy and they were here in 5 days.

6. merrymike

merrymike New Member

I had Bilsteins installed on my Kombi - there is a guy in Queensland that takes Monroe GTs and re-valves them with Bilstein gear. I haven't had the van lowered and run on standard rims and 185 tyres. Ride is pretty firm but is great through twisty stuff.

7. andrew

andrew Active Member

You can buy the koni's off the koni Reps - from memory I googled koni and there were 2 dealers in Melbourne - very helpful and I had them the next day.

They are great but I am still working to make the bus as stable as I can driving on the freeway.

8. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

I just got my Konis from Fulcrum Suspension Stafford, Brisbane - they got them in in a few days - $798 for the four. Yet to fit them.

9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Not about shockies! About sway bars!:rolleyes:
    Cheers

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

All part of the same

Weekender and stusbus like this.
  11. David H

One does 'up/down' & one does 'lateral roll'. Yes they interact with each other & are 'part of the same' & I totally agree with you if the thread was about 'handling' or 'chassis dynamics'.;)
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Actualy the functions of each are not limited as simply as you suggest.
    Many make the mistake of overdoing one factor to compensate for not fixing the basics and stuffing up the whole.

And the original post did actualy include some of the relevent items already done as they are critical to any discussion re the sway bars.

Original poster ( k00k) also gave information re availability of konis for benefit of anyone going down the same path.
    Leo's post gave further info about Au availability and pricing.

All part of discussion relating to the original question.
    ie within the concept of establish what you have before throwing money at a
    " quick fix". And finding a solution to a problem .

My suggestion would be do the fine tuning then catch up with someone like Marcus at an event and have a chat.
    People experienced in fiddling with such mods can quickly establish a fair idea of whats happening from a quick drive.
    They can also clarify the benefits and characteristics of each modification.

vassy69SC and stusbus like this.
  13. David H

I agree with the mistakes people make.

It was about sway bars & I know their interaction is part of the 'whole' but if anything can come out of a topic it needs to 'stay on topic' otherwise it just becomes a confused discussion:rolleyes: & gets no resolution about what was first asked. Turns into a 'circle' with 'opinion' outweighing what could be an answer to the posting member:)!

I like to not move too far from what was designed. Reckon they (the German designers) got that 'good' save for the heater:rolleyes: but it's okay if maintained!

Really happy with the balance of my bus. It likes to pee on trees with that stiff front bar!o_O. Been known to lift a leg!:rolleyes:
    Cheers

14. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

"Sway bars are an excellent addition to a kombi, particularly a camper/bus.
    If you are adding a rear sway bar I would upgrade the front to keep the handling front and rear on the same level (i.e. not change the understeer/oversteer balance)"

Just to add to my previous post. My wife's 71 Dormobile has a rear sway bar and upgraded front sway bar.
    Balance and handling is very good. We have done over 40,000kms with these on including 3 weeks in Tasmania.
    It is certainly less affected by cross wind and I have never had any issues with a wheel off the ground, and trust me - I have tried ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rstucke and stusbus like this.
  15. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Damn , had a loud knocking sound suddenly appear from under the body ,upon inspection,yep , sway bar again, some say dont replace it but i sure its there for a reason even if i do not know what that reason is ,so quick phone call to the mechanic to get it replaced and while they are about it give it a service as well, put the angle grinder on it tomorrow cut off the offending bit , then no more noise .Will then see if there is a difference without it .

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

$5 says you will notice the difference.
    If you don't then you need to get out if first gear :)

David H and oldman like this.
  17. chris taylor

Haha ,Wont take that bet Col , as i said it must be there for a reason ,so i guess that would stabilisation. Im no racing driver but ,i do like to feel comfortable when cornering..

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I've driven a broken one and its hairy.
    Even at normal speeds. :)

19. chris taylor

As always col I am taking your word as gospel. It Will Be Replaced. ;). It's booked in for the 8th of August.until then i will drive with caution .:D

oldman likes this.
  20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Foolish man Chris.
    Never take anything I say as gospel without making your own asessment as well .:D
    But a broken one is like losing a shockie.
    If snapped it needs removing until a new one fitted.

Ratwell ( links above covering shocks and sway bars )covers both very well for our normal to upgraded needs.

Stock new bars are cheap.
    A front upgrade might suit you?
    But wouldn't stress over it.