1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T piece fuel breather to air filter?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by deepburn13, Feb 4, 2014.

1. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Hi all, Im trying to get rid of some fuel smells on my 1600 and have replaced the rubber T-piece but cant see where the hose to the air filter attaches. There was no hose previously attached, just the old perrished T piece and the two metal fuel lines from the air scoops. Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Scott

[​IMG]

2. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

is the smell there all the time or only after you fill up ?

3. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

My 1600 has a hole just above where the breather pipe from the oil filler connects into the air intake, and the hose plugs into there. Perhaps that little hole to the right of where the oil breather pipe connects may be your best option. If this makes no sense, I can put up a photo later.

Even though it doesn't seal tight, it has removed all petrol smells since I repaired it.

4. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Fuel smell is only there when i fill over half a tank.

I see what you mean Brian, still wouldnt mind a pic if its easy....?

Cheers guys

5. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

reason i ask about if the tank is full or not is because i was told that on some kombis if you over fill them ( wait for it) and go around a left hand corner then it has been known to spill between the filler neck and the tank.

on your pic in the back right hand side is a round black access hole (only found on late bays not early ones as it was even then a known problem) to where the petrol tank meets the filler cap....have been told to check there first as the seal/join between the tank/filler may need replacing. it doesn't happen when you fill ur tank as the nozzle goes past that point where it can leak (if that makes sense)

Anyway....don't know if its true as its never happened to me

6. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

A different 1600 looks like this
    [​IMG]

I will second the do not overfill idea. Early advice I received from here was that the first time the petrol pump clicks off, hang it up. Don't try and fill it up a bit more as most people do with most other cars. It can also cause a problem if you fill up, and don't drive very far - when the petrol expands as it warms up, it can overflow through that point freak said and flow into the engine bay.

7. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

thanks for the info guys. should be all good with the air filter, then ill tackle the fuel filler!

cheers!