1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T2 at Rainbow Beach

Discussion in 'Kombi Spotting' started by Weekender, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

Photos from the past...

The rocks at Rainbow Beach Qld. Those who know these rocks will know the danger.

I took these in about 1990 or late 1980s over an Easter. The kombi photo is looking north, the other photo looking south to give you an idea of the conditions, and the spectator sport. The crossing route is shown where the 2 4wds are driving.

the kombi came from the south (Double Island Point area) went to get supplies, then drove back. I spoke to the driver - he may have had a few beers! But on lookers were stunned and amazed. He needed no assistance on both crossings. During this same crossing period waves would build water up to about 3 feet, then ebbs away again. The crossing was all that black rock and a little sand, and of course covered in the ocean. He did is timing well. He also had to drive the soft sand beach exit, but I missed that bit.

Never underestimate a kombi off road.

[​IMG][​IMG]

68BUS likes this.
  2. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Impressive and quite insane

3. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I think you are well positioned to try a re-creation of this photo Leo! How is your insurance?

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Very cool!

But we all know how well Kombis rust with coastal salt air. One can only imagine how much quicker they would do it, after a full salt water bath! :eek:

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

My sentiments exactly Grant :eek:

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

as do a lot of the local 4wd. the rocks are a favourite and effective trap.
    think its the local garage and a couple of other shops at rainbow beach township that have photo walls of vehicles trapped and water up near the roof when tide comes in.

no shortage of idiots who 'know' what theyre doing
    good spectator sport :)

7. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

Funny you mention that Paul. My first 69 bus (which I owned in the late 70s) HAS been on Rainbow beach and on the surf beach on Stradbroke. And in those days when you got to Cape Tribulation, the track led on to the beach, and I drove up it to later camp under the palm trees. No one talked about salt water crocs then either.

Shannons just sent me a renewal....

Yes Col - at the pub they had a score board of vehicle makes - don't remember VW on it!

8. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I have done that trip in a mitsubishi L300 4wd brick ...but would never dream of chancing something as precious as a kombi in that spot - sooo many "real 4wds" dont make it as was noted on the take-away shop about 20 odd years ago.