1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T2 sag in front suspension.

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by roverbay, Feb 22, 2016.

1. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Good afternoon all. Can someone give me an idea of the amount a t2 sags from when the tyre makes contact with the ground & sitting on the suspension. Mine drops 120mm between of the floor & on the floor
    thanks
    ernie

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

edited as prev # out

If it helps
    ground to sill edge measured beside jacking point is often around 380mm static

a 644mm od tyre
    measured vertically top of tyre to lip of wheel arch

100mm compressed
    150mm hanging.

I have different bump stops [limiting]so this may not be typical and certainly doesn't represent the full suspension normal travel

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  3. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Thanks Col. my suspension seems to move along way when I jack it up under the balljoint. I don't have bumpstops fitted yet. I think I will have to jack up a standard bay under the balljoint to see what happens compared to ECELECTIC. Does anyone have sale brochure or the ground clearance from new

4. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

5. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Free lowering, what more could you ask for....

6. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Yes but I want to go up not down Stevie.

7. StevieVW

If you think your bus has "sagged" noticably and evenly, it may be worth considering a previous owner cut or broke some of the torsion leaves/bars in the front suspension to "lower" the bus, not the best way to go about it, from a safety standpoint.....

If i remember tomorrow while I'm in the workshop i'll measure up.

8. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Good morning all. Thanks Stevie. all the bars are in 1 piece I had them out during the rebuild on the beam. I have the problem of when the off road tyre & rim combo is bolted on the when I let the jack down it sits the tyre hard up against the top of the wheel arch I will take some pics tomorrow

9. StevieVW

What size tyres you running?

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yeah. ? What Steve said re tyres :D

11. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

If you want to run bigger tyres ( off-road) you will need to fit adjusters to the beam, if you want to run standard height then lift you will need to weld adjuster with the top of the key hole in the position of the original grub screw, that way you can lift the bus to the full length of the adjusters

12. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Good afternoon all. I want to lift the front I Have adjusters fitted but man need to move them. They are only spotted for now. I don't have bumpstops fitted maybe this would help but it shouldn't sit o the bump when sitting o the ground. A couple of pics showing that the balljoint is on lockup angle with the jack under the bottom arm. When the jack is removed it goes to full lockup on the balljoint again. the tyres I would like to run with what it looks like I will have to run without lifting the beam. As far as the adjusters go you can only lift or drop to the working angle of the balljoint before it binds o the housing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  13. splitbus

How many leaf springs have you got in there, something doesn't sound right

14. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

the full set. If someone has a van sitting in the shed could I ask you to place a jack under the balljoint & jack it up to see if the arm hits the bumpstop before the body stars to move this would be helpful. Thanks splitbus for your input. would the lack of shocks contribute

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

shocks should make no difference as they are designed to only control modulation of springs/wheels.

16. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

All I know is if I start jacking the bus from the rear jacking point using the original vw 'widowmaker' the front wheel clears the ground first. A real wtf moment for me the first time when I didn't have the other front wheel correctly chocked!

17. splitbus

In the middle of the beam where the adjusters are/go is the grub screw there and screwed into the cam and the lock nut screwed down tight holding the top part of adjusters , top and bottom tube

18. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

yes that's all in place. this is the right hand side with the left side fully up on the jack
    [​IMG]

this is the left side fully up so the adjusters are holding ok.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  19. splitbus

You must have broken spring plates, for one side to be fully down and the other side fully up at the same time o_O:confused:

20. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

no they work side to side by being locked in the centre so only 1 side moves against the tension.