1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 89 water boxer won't start at all HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Tin Bits, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

Help Required People.
    Col and I are at our wits end trying to start this bus.

Conditions are has good spark to plugs new plugs new leads timing untouched since running before and now will not fire on LPG or Petrol.
    Have used aerostart into throttle body intake whilst turning over with starter absolutely no signs of cylinder fire.

So to be clear we have

Motor turns over at a good speed using the starter
    Has strong spark
    Has full tank of gas
    Has fuel in tank
    Fuel pump new
    Fuel filter new
    Fuel tank new

Any reason why it won't start when it has spark and fuel.

Cheers Ian and Col

2. bevelhead

bevelhead Member

double check plug lead order, also ignition switch on my bus did my head in, pull connection off back of switch and try hot wiring/ by passing switch

3. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

Our idea is we have spark so we think the ignition circuit is complete and being controlled by the switch.
    Plug leads are ok we went through that thought as well.
    Any other ideas

4. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Have you got fuel coming through to the injector "T" on petrol.

There is a little nut on the "T" that when loosened should allow fuel though it.

Try removing the coil plug and turn it over with this screw slightly loosened - if no fuel you have a fuel delivery problem.

Is the fuel pump working? ie can you hear a hiss for a couple of seconds after switching on the ignition?

5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Engines on gas have a fuel isolator solenoid dont they? So that you only get petrol or gas - maybe this has failed and wont let either work?

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

What bits on that list, have you done SINCE the last time it did start? :rolleyes:

7. wbx4me

wbx4me Member

??? no spark under cylinder pressure ??? if it doesnt fire with aerostart ... um then it aint got spark ??? spark + aerostart = it will fire ...mightnt run but it will ignite the aerostart....
    you can confirm fuel delivery by sniffin the exhaust pipe after cranking .. it will smell of fuel if fuel is being delivered during cranking.

8. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

Every thing done since it last ran, we are. We are checking the gas solenoid at the moment.
    We will then try the start on gas and will then check the fuel supply.

9. bevelhead

bevelhead Member

Stating the obvious you have good spark and you have fuel, that leaves spark at the right time and order which you havent touched? and nothing shorting the ignition like a kill switch/faulty ignition switch.
    This is what my bus has tested me with over time:
    Missed and carried on then died no start, thought i had good spark, tested hall cell as per manual and replaced it...same result... turned out to be coil.
    No start, start, run, miss, cut out, repeat, ignition switch.
    Start, run, miss, cut out, wait, start, run, miss, die. Turned out to be engine idle stabiliser, i bypassed it and van hasnt missed a beat since.

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So is it dual fuel?

Do you have a spare working ECU, to try?

11. bevelhead

bevelhead Member

Pull the plugs out and give a good squirt of aerostart directly into cylinders.

12. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

13. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

Yes dual fuel
    It was running on LPG and then started playing this game

14. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

No spare ecu

15. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

I used to pull the rubber hose off the plenim from the air cleaner pipe splash a bit of fuel in crank it over see if it fires.
    Only a hose clamp to undo ?
    Cheers Peter

16. bevelhead

bevelhead Member

The idle stabiliser has two leads, one male one female, just pull leads and connect to each other.

17. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

So we got it to start some times.
    Have had it idle but once the revs are picked up it dies and stalls.
    Have plenty of fuel in tank.

We have isolated the gas system out now for safety sake. So now so all we are working on is straight petrol running.
    Have great fuel pressure at the tee piece so fuel flow through the lines is good.
    Pulled the plugs and tested each and they provide good spark.

It seems that something is either shutting off or restricting the fuel to the injectors i think but don't know for sure.

18. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Dual fuel - do you have a blow back valve fitted between the AFM and throttle body? Is it sealing properly (can cause huge and massive vacuum leak) - but then Aero-start up the throttle body - mmmmmm? Any backfires on LPG just before these problems emerged?

19. wbx4me

wbx4me Member

have you checked the cat convertor .... exhaust blockage can give similar symptoms to fuel starvation ... I had one where a piece of cat core found its way into the primary pipe of the muffler ... blockage was severe enough for it to die at anything much over idle. Tell tale was "rattling" noise from inside the muffler at idle ...

20. Dannyred

Dannyred Member

Was there ever an immobiliser fitted? Some times people install them get sick of them and then shut them off. When the battery gets low or flat the electrical wizard gremlins seem to make the system active again. I had the same issue with an old car.

Although if it starts and cuts out at high er revs doubt this would be the issue. But now ive typed this much im gonna post anyway