1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 89 water boxer won't start at all HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Tin Bits, Jan 6, 2015.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Idles OK. Full throttle OK. Anywhere in between the engine will die.

Common fault.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

agree , a dismantle and check of both in order re process of elimination
    dont know how far its been checked re injectors other than it idles fine for 1/2 hr

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

maybe worth a try straight to full throttle or start with acc floored ?
    or just test/swap unit?

guessing the output world have been checked but Im sure Ian will ask the qn

4. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

Thanks for all the input guys,
    The situation at this point is very possible thing has been checked ( except what's stoping it ) and all relays etc work fine all sensors fine.
    Still at a loss as to what is causing this problem.
    The plenum is the next area for a dismantle and check.
    All the injectors are working fine, so thinking there is and problem in the plenum stoping air and fuel mixing.

5. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

If the engine will idle and run at WOT but die in between ............ at idle the AFM flap is closed and air is drawn through the AFM via he bypass circuit with the air/fuel/mixture ratio set manually at tune-up, and if at WOT the TPS tells the ECU to ramp up fuel delivery, and if the in between rev range relies on the AFM to talk to the ECU ........... is the problem here? I assume there is full and free movement of the AFM flap? Has anyone been inside the FM and fiddled with the wiper settings? What is the stoichiometric AFM ratio at idle? Other than that, I'm buggered for ideas.

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The TPS may be telling the ECU that it is at idle and it will disregard the signal from the AFM. Try another TB and TBS.

7. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

The T3 is alive and well!!,!,,,,!,!,!!,!,
    This post is a big shout out for German Engineering on Bribie Island here isn sunny Queensland.
    As you all know from reading this thread I had problems, so I decided to send the van over to Sean for his input. If you have followed this thread you all know the symptoms we were dealing with so I won't go over them again.

Sean was extremely cooperative with the whole delema and went above and beyond trying the sort the problem out, so a big thanks to him and I would recommend him for your next service or major problems.

OK what was it then I here you ask weel it was the Catalytic Converter and I here you say didn't you check for pressure at the exhaust and the answer is yes, so why didn't we get it.

While cranking the motor the pressure build up in the exhaust was not high enough to move the busted up parts of the converter to where they would block the exhaust, but once the motor fired up the pressure is much higher and therefore blocked the exhaust.

Great result in the end, now I know that everything in the engine bay works A1 as Sean had checked everything trying to find this problem.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice and help.

Cheers Ian.

8. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I guess another spin off is you now have a supply of good spare parts. Well done and will put that one in the memory bank.

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

so guess doctors know what theyre doing when they want to poke their fingers in nether regions ?

Good work by Sean. Doesnt like things to beat him :)

10. wbx4me

wbx4me Member

glad you found it ... also took me a long time to find it .... I would back out the drive (downhill) the bits of cat would move and choke the exhaust.. no power..... the go around a corner and sometimes they would move and clear the blockage a little ... was so intermittent seemingly without rhyme or reason... Just curious .... did your muffler have the "rattles" that I described in post #19 ???

Grantus likes this.
  11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Full marks to you, for being the one with the correct diagnostic for this T3 issue! :)

Well done - nice work! (Why is there no "thumbs up" smiley?)

12. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

Well we should of looked into your post a little more, but we did try the pressure at the exhaust tip.

So yes Grant here is a big thumbs up

13. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Well done wbx4me!!

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yeah. good call. :)
    we did think that the cranking pressure on exhaust seemed low but it was the same as my t3 so even tho not convinced it was good we put that to one side.
    Maybe the holes in my tailpipe threw it out a bit :(

no typical rattles in cat at all.
    impressively quiet engine mechanicaly.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015