1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 Brake Lights not working.

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by bilckster, Jun 8, 2009.

1. bilckster

bilckster Member

Hi All,

So I've just noticed recently that my brake lights are not working, both left and right. My parking lights work as do headlights and indicators (The right indicator is flashing very quickly at the moment but both bulbs are good)

I have tried swapping one of the bulbs with the parking light bulb and it is still not working. My next test would be to buy new bulbs that are exactly the same and try them but I have a funny feeling that it isn't the bulbs as both brake lights aren't working. I've tested the fuses and even swapped them out with other fuses but no luck.

Any ideas about what could be causing this problem?
    Could it be the brake light switch? How can I test this?
    Anything else that it could be?

Cheers,

Steve

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Check the earths on the tail lights. (Brown wires)

3. bilckster

bilckster Member

Will check them out. What should I be looking for? If they have disconnected somewhere?

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Loose or disconnected.

Where are you in Sydney?

You did have the ignition on when checking????

5. bilckster

bilckster Member

In Fairlight, 2094.

I'll check them out in the morning. Could they maybe be loose behind the fusebox?

Yep, Ignition on for sure. :)

6. bilckster

bilckster Member

So I've checked the earth at the back and it is definitely metal on metal. I also reseated the brake switch and still no luck.

The right hand side indicators (front and back) are also flashing too quickly. Not all of the time but 80% of the time. Where is the front earth in these things. For the life of me I can't find it.

Should I try replacing the brake switch? Any other ideas?

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Pull the plug off the brake light switch and join the two wires together. Lights should come on.

8. bilckster

bilckster Member

There's two switches on the Master Cylinder. 1 is on the side of it and one is on the bottom. Each switch has 3 prongs on it. Should I pull off the plug and connect two of the prongs? Or should I be connecting the wires that go into the plug and leave the prongs on the switch out of it?

9. bullifamilie

bullifamilie Member

I'd check the following;

Earth connection on the side of the engine bay close to the coil, I think that's where the rear lights get an earth, although I could be wrong.

Remove rear lights and check for water or corrosion in the light assemblies, connectors etc..

Check all the earths behind the main fuse box behind glove box. I've had four T3's and one of the first things I do is clean all these earths. In each case there has been corrosion (leaking windscreen i presume)and cleaning has fixed faults

10. bilckster

bilckster Member

Will check tonight and clean if necessary.

Thanks

11. bilckster

bilckster Member

I pulled the plug off and connected the two wires together and hey presto! the brake lights came on. Am I right to assume that because of this the brake switch is 99.9% likely to be the problem?

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's what it sounds like.

13. bilckster

bilckster Member

No prob. Thanks for the help. Now just to get the damn thing off. I'm having a hell of a time unscrewing it. I can't get more than a 1/16th rotation with the spanner because it's so crowded up under the dash. Any tricks to getting it off? Will brake fluid go everywhere when I take it off?