1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 Central locking install

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by BackintheDak, Apr 26, 2018.

1. BackintheDak

BackintheDak Member

I am hoping to install remote central locking to my 83 T3. I have installed central locking systems before but I have never done it when the driver side door requires the key to operate the lock to lock the door.
    Before I get too deep into the project I am wondering if anyone else has fitted a aftermarket system and if this "key to lock" caused any install problems.
    Cheers

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I have a kit for the front doors only to put it.

Lucky Phil put a kit in

3. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I have installed factory central locking to my van on front doors only and its simple as long as you have all the correct parts. I have also installed the Gowesty keyless entry system to a CaravelleGL so it turned the factory key to unlock system into a keyless entry system, came with all instructions & simple to fit.

Syncro27 likes this.
  4. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Well-Known Member

Was it a worthwhile thing to do?

5. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

yes

oldman likes this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of complete doors with actuators in them for the SC resto, so I sourced a wiring harness under the dash......

When trying to install, one actuator was a bit sticky, and then decided to go no further with the 30 year old technology.

Did the same as Phil, and bought the GoWesty kit with the solenoids, and keyless entry.

So happy with the result, that I’m ordering another kit for the Caravelle. ;)

Jurgen Grossmutter likes this.
  7. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

If your existing kit doesn't work it is probably caused by a broken wire in one of the two front doors.

Usually in the rubber duct at the leading edge of the door.

8. Thedublifeaustralia

Thedublifeaustralia Member

I have factory central locking and have installed a chinese keyless system which was really easy to do. I installed in the drivers door but I am moving to under the dash so I can pick up the indicators on actuating.

9. BackintheDak

BackintheDak Member

Well, got it in and working! no easy feet. Getting the harness through the door cavity was hard, it has small speakers installed in the front doors so I had to use the wires from the speakers to pull a small rope through to allow me to reverse this to get the actuator harness through. Instead of trying to get the speaker wires and harness through I bought 4 meters of 7 wire trailer harness, pulled this through and used this to power the actuator and speaker, I couldn't see how I would be able to get the five actuator wires plus the two speaker wires back through without damaging them or getting them stuck. Now just need to workout how to power the indicators with the unit.

Thedublifeaustralia likes this.