1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 Coolant Loss

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by UK Skippy, Oct 2, 2019.

1. UK Skippy

UK Skippy Member

Hi All,
    I’m new to the family (exactly 1 week) I have a cracking T3 which has been well look after, today I noticed whilst parked up I was losing coolant, I have little mechanical knowledge but learning, I cleaned up what I could until dry, monitored and let cool and then drove the next 25 minutes home, I don’t believe I lost much more but there is evidence it has leaked a little, trying to track the source of the problem on the reservoir, it is a fairly new reservoir and has not happened in the past week and I have driven a fair bit including hour trip up and back to the coast. Would it be the cap was not on properly (do they loosen) or possibly the reservoir has expanded the seal a little, as it’s right next to the motor the reservoir was very hot to touch could this be a possibility? C14D543A-D12E-4F49-B860-2F61AE9C64F8.jpeg

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Could be a couple of things

The cap on the top has a hose going off to the overflow tank
    That could be split and leaking from there.
    The pressure tank you have pushes and pulls from the 2nd tank.
    The hose should be securely sealed.

The O-ring where the wires go is another culprit.
    I had fluid coming out there

Have a look at my post and you can see the offending Oring
    https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/coolant-level-switch-o-ring.57958/

robbie0810 and UK Skippy like this.
  3. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

They often leak from the O ring on the sensor as they dont seem to quite fit. I have solved this problem a few times by putting a wrap of "Emergency Tape" on the threads then screwing it back in. Emergency tape which is available from SCA is applied like plumbers tape. By the way plumbers tape dosnt work in this situation, I have tried it. Peel the back off the tape and stretch it while wrapping it on but dont go overboard with the tape. Works real well.

Syncro27, UK Skippy, David H and 2 others like this.
  4. UK Skippy

UK Skippy Member

I think you’re right, I will check that in the morning, might just need tightening, if I take out and use the tape, will I need to bleed out?

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

You should see coolant, or dried dye stain around the sensor, if it’s not sealing.

As long as it’s cold, you can remove and replace sensor without the need to bleed. (Top off the coolant, at the blue pressure cap, after sensor replacement).

robbie0810 and UK Skippy like this.
  6. UK Skippy

UK Skippy Member

Perfect thank you, I think it’s
    Cheers Grantus, I’m confident this is the fix, will do first up in the morning

7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, it’s a plastic thread on the sensor, going into a plastic thread on the bottle......... tighten it enough, but don’t overtighten! ;)

UK Skippy likes this.
  8. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Definitely not one to over tighten. I have also had two new level sensors leak up through the electrical plug!!

UK Skippy likes this.
  9. UK Skippy

UK Skippy Member

Hi All,

Just as an update the leak was inconsistent, I tried the emergency tape but struggled to get the seal back, I cleaned and tightened original and after testing don’t seem to have a leak, I have ordered a new o ring from JK for good measure and will monitor and either change or keep as spare if it leaks again. I just need to tip up the coolant now, thanks all for your advice, it’s a pleasure being part of the community.

Grantus, Syncro27, robbie0810 and 3 others like this.