1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 Dilema

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Harribo, May 14, 2021.

1. Harribo

Harribo Active Member

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had had any success in converting a t3 into a more off road vehicle?

mine isn’t a synchro and I’m not talking about hard core off road just making it a bit more useable for when we go camping. We camp a lot on farms, out of the way camp sites etc that can be down some rough tracks.

Is it as simple as upgrading the suspension and chucking some bigger tires on there?

And if so does anyone have any suggestions?

I have tossed up selling it and buying a Ute but really don’t want to do that!

cheers

John

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

The 2WD T3 can go most places a Syncro will go if you install a Limited Slip Diff or a Pelequin TBD. It wont climb rocks or navigate streams however most people dont want to do that anyway. Combine it with off road tyres on 15inch rims and a subtle lift and yo have a poor mans syncro without all the cost of maintaining the Syncro drivetrain.

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Biggest issue seems to be that they easily lift a rear wheel.
    A diff as Phil suggested being an essential in my view.
    Also slightly taller mud or AT tyres.
    The suspension droop is limited by shock length.
    Landrover Discovery 2 shocks fit and are available in varying lengths.
    Stock is 50mm longer than stock vw T3 rear.
    I haven't fitted yet but measurements suggest no issues.
    Looks to be fine with stock CV for angles.
    Transfer as much weight as possible to rear.
    Swing out rear tyre carriers, remove spare from clamshell in front, batteries under rnr bed, if lifting van you then should be able to fit syncro fuel tank above transmission .

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Syncro27 and Luckyphil like this.
  4. Harribo

Harribo Active Member

The limited slip diff might be a project for the future as and when funds allow.

I may just stick to suspension and tyre upgrades at this point...

I like the idea of a swing out wheel rack and also a full length roof rack with ladder

5. Harribo

Harribo Active Member

Any specific tyres I should look out for?

6. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

If you have the 094 gearbox casing it will have the locker boss and you can install a locker diff, but the lsd or torque bias diffs will be the cheaper option.

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

What size time are you running now?
    If 14" steelies you could add a couple of mud tyre spares for when needed.?
    They would be noiser if doing a lot of hwy driving.
    Or some AT tyres as a midfield option.
    Muddies will help more in soft paddocks but AT will be an improvement over road tyres.
    Going down steep slippery inclines it's best to have a full set rather than just rear as most Braking is on front plus you would loose steering / controll with road tyres
    Also important to run same type carcase construction all round .
    This may allow a combination of AT front and MT rear .
    Or either type all round .
    I would look for same brand and compare construction to match as close as possible if mixing.

https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/14-at-and-mt-tyres.58074/

Harribo likes this.
  8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The best diff is a manual locker which was an option on 2wd T3s. Other than that a lockrite. These both lock 100% and you can still power with a wheel off the ground.With either of these you will be surprised how good it is off road. The other LSDs were not designed for off road use.

Getting good off road tyres in 14" is near impossible. I had 15" with BFG All Terrains that worked well off road and still OK on the bitumen.

Syncro27 likes this.
  10. Harribo

Harribo Active Member

Just the standard tyre atm...

11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

How much is a Pelequin diff?
    Can you get them for automatic?

What about manual bays?

12. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Barry likes this.
  13. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

I have most of the above in my T3 2wd except AT tyres (215/70/16) van tyres.

The T3 has a "beefed up" auto trans with Peloquin diff and a 3.74 ring & pinion, roadability is "sweet" and all but extreme offroad is "confident"

Climbing a steep muddy washaway hill will stop most vehicles without intervening assistance, well maybe not a Russian Dakar Kamaz 4x4. :eek::cool:

jsmiller, Syncro27, BrianK and 2 others like this.
  14. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Endorse all the above, and have long thought of doing it but haven't seen the need for "serious off road" (aka Syncro) performance. Have found moving weight to the rear coupled with 15 inch AT tyres works good. Currently running Toyo 215 x 70 Open Country on 7 1nch mags that are light, quiet and direct on bitumen, sure footed in the wet and likewise everywhere else. Was going to lift but can't see the need yet. Years ago, T3's were lifted 2 inches with Syncro rear springs and Ford Falcon XD V8 springs up front, and did not need the upper ball joint spacer (see GoWesty). Just ask KombiDad. If you go for the 2 inch lift, stock CV's will cope, but Stock CV boots won't. I think Mr Stretch or someone (.... Nils?) has a solution. Interested see where you end up.

cbus likes this.
  15. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I did a lift on my '82 camper and installed a LSD, Lockrite if I remember correctly. Yes the boots were a concern as the standard boots did split a couple of times but the CV's were fine. On the Aussieveedubbers forum a suggestion was made that Toyota Hilux boots will work. Also an old farmer told me that the best solution is simply make a set out of leather. They should last a very long time. Having said that I never got round to trying either as my son found a Syncro for me which I used as a camper until I bought a Trakka Jabiru (MB Sprinter conversion).

16. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

17. Harribo

Harribo Active Member

Hi All,

thanks for all the replies...

I replaced the shock absorbers on my old dormobile and it was bolt off bolt on simple amd I assumed it was the same with the t3 but seems a touch more complicated!
    Looks like my first step is new tyres and 15inch rims...

anyone have any rim suggestions?

cheers

john

18. nils

nils Well-Known Member

19. Harribo

Harribo Active Member

Hi Mate, do the disco 2 shocks bolt straight on or need modifying? Could be a more cost effective solution! Cheers

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Bolt straight on but you need the longer springs of correct wire thickness for vehicle to sit same height.
    I haven't done it yet so there may be unforseen issues.
    Also, disco shocks can come in longer than stock lengths .
    For this mod it's using stock length disco shock .