T3 fuel pump buzzing

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Barry, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Gather my T3's fuel pump is dying but can I get one locally?

I was suppose to go away next weekend but not so keen to take it now.

Driving to work yesterday she felt "fluffy" almost like running on 3 cylinders.
    Stopped to see if anything was wrong but all leads good etc.

But driving down to the Harry's for the Friday Catch Up I could hear the buzzing
    When I got there I got underneath and it is "rattlin and a shakin"

So hoping I can pick one up locally today and get it put in during the week

First bit of bother in 3 years.
    I am use to fiddling with Dell's every 2nd weekend - not the reliable fuel injection stuff

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Buzzing fuel pump is also an indicator of a blocked fuel filter

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Fuel filter is new

4. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Blocked fuel tank?

5. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

If tank is original screen could be clogged with crap so the pump could be cavitating. Try blowing the tank screen out. Cheaper than buying a new pump to find its still noisy. I still carry my roadside fixer unit: 1 x small bicycle pump with valve stem cut down to fit fuel line, clamp and remove fuel line at pump of filter inlet (depends on model), release clamp and pump up the tank and listen to the bubbles and gurgles, when sounds free, re-clamp, reconnect, then see if the pump is silent. If silent, new tank maybe sooner or later? Tooley's for a new pump or tank.

6. 85 Caravelle

85 Caravelle Member

buzzing fuel pump is a sign of fuel starvation. Filter maybe new but if you've got rust in the tank ,which is likely it won't take long to clog a new filter .I had the same problem after a succession of new filters (several)new pump until i bit the bullet and got a new tank from JK. Problem solved.

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

They are the same pump as injected T2s.

Maybe some of the normal suppliers would have one. Vintage, Tooleys etc.

Check your new filter as you may have bad fuel.

85 Caravelle likes this.
  8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

OK.............. I have fuel stavation

Will try pump and see what happens

9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I meant bike pump

Whatever........ my set up is tank - pump - filter - engine

I took the fuel line off coming from tank to pump and nothing came out
    Bike pump and heard bubbles and fuel came out

Hooked it back up..................... nothing.

Took the fuel hose back off..........nothing

Bike pump........... bubbles........fuel............hook back up ...............nothing

Took the fuel hose back off..........nothing...................Bike pump........... bubbles........fuel............hook back up ...............nothing
    Took the fuel hose back off..........nothing...................Bike pump........... bubbles........fuel............hook back up ...............nothing

My tank must be ratshit big time........................... :mad:

10. tillis

tillis Active Member

ah i see the problem...you have one way crud!

11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me but luckily the plastic pre-filter stopped it getting to the pump and the main filter stopped it getting to the engine.

This is what my pre-filter looked like:

[​IMG]

The black stuff is wet rust.

I had the tank replaced ....:D

12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

The advice above is probably correct, having been there twice with both my T3's..........

But I feel I should post another scenario, assuming your tank is clean and not rotted.

Had a mate suffer random fuel starve issues, and then none.........fuel starve, then fine, etc.

Drove him nuts, until he then pulled the tank and system apart, and found the cause.

Someone previously decided that a "fuel cleaning additive" would be a good idea, so they bought a bottle and poured it into the tank....but they didn't notice the plastic seal to the bottle, after removing the lid, was also added to the tank. It would float around harmlessly, until it decided to create a perfect seal to the outlet, held nicely in place by the suction from the fuel pump. :eek:

Turn motor off, pressure releases, vehicle ran great again, and the piece of plastic would happily circulate around the tank...........till the next time! :D

Doubt this is the case with your bus, but just thought I'd relay the story.....;)

David H and Syncro27 like this.
  13. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Barry if you get a new tank (JK have them $295) you need to read this article from TheSamba. The replacement tanks have a problem with the hole that the fuel sender is fitted to. I had this problem and Steve Mullers shop fitted & refitted the tank and it would always leak when filled up. I took this article with me the last time and problem solved. The issue is the sender looks & feels like it is properly seated but it is not. The hole flanges need to be slightly bent to allow the sender to seat properly. My sender suffered the same damage as in the article but luckily when the flanges were bent it went in fine & no more leaks.
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513681&highlight=fuel tank reseal

Grantus likes this.
  14. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

My sons air cooled T3 had a similar issue IE: buzzing etc .
    If I recall correctly it was a Relay issue ( bloody expensive relay for what it was )
    I will ask him when he gets home

15. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

I think there is a timer cut out on the pump power supply after ign is turned on about 5 seconds so would be worth taking into account?

16. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Think this is the safety feature introduced in the L-jet and later to shut fuel flow off when engine fails - just like the after market solenoid fix for carbed buses.

17. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

When yo say "nothing", does that mean pump doesn't rattle when energised for 5 seconds (first click on ignition switch) or engine won't fire, or what? Think tank is done.

18. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Pump is on - has power and "whirrs" but just cranks over.

I have spark and a signal to injectors.

Just doen have fuel getting through

19. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Just out of interest, the fuel that did flow out of the tank, any noticeable contaminants?

20. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Was a bit hard to tell since I was looking for fuel - not contaminated fuel, and also trying not to get run over. But yes - I am pretty sure it was cruddy. What fuel can out spilled onto the road.
    I have not gone back to play / investigate as at the moment as it is parked on the side of the road I live on and pump etc is on the traffic side.
    I live on a semi main road - at least one that buses drive up and down.

I have it booked in for repair but is going to be a few weeks before I can get it in.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Syncro27 likes this.