T3 Fuel Pump Problem?

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Luckyphil, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Active Member

Hope someone can provide some words of wisdom. I recently bought T3 Caravelle. Good idea to change all consumable parts. Changed Fuel filter but put it on with flow wrong way. Prior to this there was a fairly loud wirring noise coming from fuel pump. After replacing filter still had noise but 2 days later it stopped & now the engine wants to cut out when come to a stop. Got new filter put on correctly but problem still exists. Noticed a lot of crap came out of the old filter, it was there since 2005. The new filter also had crap when changed as above.. I think the pump died but not sure.

2. DOKA Dave

DOKA Dave Member

I had a similar problem with my fuel pump making noise, then it started to become unreliable so got a new one. You can tap them with a screwdriver to get them to work if you find the car will turn over but not fire up. These pumps do have a normal whirring noise though. If you can hear it easily from the drivers seat of a super noise insulated Caravelle you have a sick pump. Always run a pre filter before the pump. Why VW didn't do this originally is beyond me.

3. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Active Member

T3 Fuel Pump Problem

Thanks for the info, I have a new pump now but before I fit it I will take your advice & fit a pre filter as I think there is a lot of crap in my tank. Maby time for a new tank but worried not all the seals will be available, any idea where I can get them. Regards Phil

4. wbx4me

wbx4me Member

grommets for the top of tank were still available from VW dealers 12 months ago
    P/N N90100401

5. All seals are still available, not sure about in Australia, but they are available from the UK or US. Have redone all the seals in mine & got them from the US.

Cheers
    Brendan

6. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Active Member

I got a new tank for a water cooled and fitted it with an adapter to my air cooled '82. The tank and grommets were supplied through Roy at the Bus Stop.

Ian

7. stuartandtheshoes

stuartandtheshoes New Member

Yep our pump got noisy first then lasted about another month. No fun without fuel.

8. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Active Member

Fuel pump died however the problem with engine cutting out was due to poor timing and mixture, now fixed thanks to Paul