1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 Prices

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Luckyphil, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

The yellow one you said you’d never sell? o_O

Won’t take long to sell, when you do though. ;)

Syncro27 and Luckyphil like this.
  2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Yes thats the one.

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

ajunkyardkid likes this.
  4. Luckyphil

I want to do some camping & fishing adventures with my son & 2 grandchildren before they and I get too old. It will be less than $49,995 though :) when I sell.

prone likes this.
  5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

It was a very original example but it is on car sales.
    The site where the flippers test the extreems of price limits.:rolleyes:

6. nils

nils Well-Known Member

ajunkyardkid likes this.
  7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Actually it’s at the Classic Throttle Shop

I often wander through there and look at the toys.
    There was a sister shop at Mortlake called Ian Cummins of the D Type Jaguar replica fame.

Both these shops cater for original excellent condition cars. Cars like the Harding PMG split Micro Bus.
    Generally they are not restored or modified. Original paint and generally documented.
    There is a market where people don’t want to go looking for that rare gem and are happy to just put the money down.
    Have a look at the other lovelies there.
    Happy to see this DOKA there waiting to find its new owner.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    David H and ajunkyardkid like this.
  8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I stand corrected :D

9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

10. Citrus Poisoning

Citrus Poisoning New Member

What kind of price is reasonable for a good condition, either well kitted out or very good original t3 nowadays? Seeing quite a few in the 12-15k range sit on carsales/Gumtree for a pretty long time. Are these overpriced, or is there something wrong with them?

11. Luckyphil

12-15k is reasonable for a good T3 however 15-30k & it needs to be something special or Syncro in good nick. Good Caravelles in original condition and campers regularly sell for 12-15k, add rust and the price drops a fair bit

BrianK, David H and cbus like this.
  12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

ajunkyardkid, BrianK and cbus like this.
  13. 85 Caravelle

85 Caravelle Member

I got my bus from Ian Cummins when they were affiliated with Classic Throttle shop ,didn't pay that kind of money though. I do love that place .

ajunkyardkid and Barry like this.
  14. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Usually they are not in original condition and either the interior or exterior is a mess (or both) and the long distance photos hide this fact well. Often the drive-train has some issue and that also decreases the value very quickly.

Wayne murray likes this.
  15. Mike Marsh

Mike Marsh New Member

Hi all. My mum recently passed away in Denmark, WA. She bought a Syncro Caravelle new in South Africa in 1990 and brought it over here with her when she emigrated. AFAIK It only has seatbelts in the front but as she and my stepdad only used it for camping with the two of them, she never got it registered for the full whack of seats.
    On a trip to the Eastern States a few years ago, something gave in the 4x4 system and facing time and money constraints, they took out the middle drive shaft and since then it's been 2WD. They continued to use it until she got too old to drive. I assume the viscous coupling is shot.
    It has 268,000km on it and has the 2.1 original style motor - I'm not sure it is *the *original one! It apparently goes quite well.
    My dilemma is this. I want to buy it from the Estate, and to be fair to my siblings (who inherit in equal parts) I need to make a fair and reasonable offer. I understand how "long is apiece of string" question this is, but given that I'm in Queensland and can't readily drive it around to be inspected, I'm hoping for at least some rough guidelines. Given that a) its "Syncro"is non functioning, and b) it needs rear seatbelts fitting and presumably a compliance certificate - but that it is genuinely one little old lady owner - I'm thinking in the $8-12k range. Running Caravelles seem to start at about $5k for scruffy ones up to $35 for good nick full-camper Syncros, so it's very difficulty to get a handle on it. I want to be scrupulously fair to my siblings.
    I'd really appreciate the thoughts of the experts in here!

Also I'd be grateful for any pointers to somewhere to get the seatbelts and certificate, and where to get the VC overhauled - and if indeed in your opinion I should bother.

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

17. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,

Should you bother? Well that's a question only you can answer. Depends on how much time/money or emotional attachment you have to the bus.

My first step would be to find out how much of the 4WD system is missing due to the "repairs" are those parts floating around somewhere? Worse case scenario it may have a 2wd gearbox fitted, no tailshaft, missing protection bars and butchered wiring under there. In which case 8K may be a fair price dependant on the rest of the car, but certainly not 12.
    On the other hand the shaft may have been removed for something as simple as a busted uni resulting in vibration and the shaft is in the garage sitting next to it. If the rest of the car is in good shape 12k can still be a bargain.
    Unless you can find the real extent of the work required I would stay on the safe side and offer no more than 8K as you could easily spend that again to make it a syncro again.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Mike Marsh likes this.
  18. Luckyphil

I would agree with everything Nils has stated. And add how long has it been sitting as could have corrosion issues if incorrect coolant in motor.

Mike Marsh likes this.
  19. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

There is a bloke selling a rusty T3 single cab on Gumtree and he wants $10k plus when he only bought it 2 days ago for $2k.

Hence, you could argue with the South African syncro that it could easily be worth only $5k as Nils said and then you could turn around and sell it for $25k if you can find someone silly enough to pay that much for a broken vehicle :eek:

Mike Marsh, nils and Luckyphil like this.
  20. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member