1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kits

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Luckyphil, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I thought he was referring to the T4 Lucas calipers in the pics I posted. Girling are different I think.

nils likes this.
  2. nils

nils Well-Known Member

No mate, talking about the t4 rears.

If nobody can a supply for a rear kit I will build one.

kool_kombi 79 likes this.
  3. peter915

peter915 Active Member

Okay, lets see what Phil can find out first and go from there.

4. peter915

peter915 Active Member

I gather the part that Mark supplies for his version is basically a mounting adaptor plate for the caliper?
    If this is the case - can't we simply copy this bracket.
    Someone do a CAD drawing.
    I'm happy to make my own if thats all it is.
    Like the front brakes - it was really a no brain-er to fit the G60 calipers.

5. nils

nils Well-Known Member

That's what I was offering, but can't just pull drawings out of thin air. Need the parts to measure to start with

Grantus likes this.
  6. peter915

peter915 Active Member

Sorry Nils, I thought you were making another based on the T4 Caliper - didn't understand you meant the same method/kit . ?
    I was under the impression that Marks caliper bracket was basically a piece of flat bar holding the caliper?

7. nils

nils Well-Known Member

It's not quite that simple Peter, I have seen these kits and they are not badly built really.

8. peter915

peter915 Active Member

Any joy Phil with contacting Mark?

9. Luckyphil

Just spoke with Mark. He has 2 kits @ $330ea. This is for the brackets and all bolts required. They are made for T4 Lucas callipers. I can pick up from Mark but unless I get firm commitment I wont be laying out $660 to sit them on my shelf.

10. Luckyphil

I contacted Marc see my response to peter915

11. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Yes, I'll be in on that.

12. Luckyphil

OK that's 1 now for a commitment from Peter. I will be talking to Mark again on Thursday, he is flat out as just returned from XMAS

13. peter915

peter915 Active Member

Phil, send me your bsb and account please.

14. Kafermeister

Kafermeister Member

Another quick question to those who've done the upgrade. Is a centering sleeve needed to centre the rotor on the hub? If not how does it centre (is the hub machined to fit snugly in the rotor or something)? Thanks!

15. kool_kombi 79

kool_kombi 79 Active Member

Nils has contacted me for pricing on some of the initial machining of these kits but numbers are low and unsure. If we can get 5+ sets confirmed I should be able to shave a little more time out of the job, so this kit can become reality.

Contact Nils if you are interested in one of these kits.

16. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Not as such mate as the forging of the hub means ever single one is a little different.
    But if you have a requirement for this such as a flashy set of wheels that you would like hubcentric, drop me a line. Between Dale and myself I am sure we can design and make what you are after.

kool_kombi 79 likes this.
  17. JasonB

JasonB New Member

Hello I am interested in converting to rear disk, so the adaptor plates made by Marc are they no longer available, if so is someone else making some ?

18. Kafermeister

Kafermeister Member

Mine are from epytec.de. They also make some good front disk conversions using Passat calipers and rotors.

peter915 likes this.
  19. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I will be building something similar in the future Jason. (Can't give you a exact time I am afraid)
    I can however do a copy of Marc's if you require.

On the subject of the eyptec conversions, I am doing a set of fronts right now that are very similar and can supply the brackets and part numbers for the rest.
    Before you go out and order the eyptec rears double check what calipers they are using, historicaly golf calipers have been used. I personnelly would shy away from them, seems your brake bias will be way out.

20. Kafermeister

Kafermeister Member

The epytec rear brackets I got use the T4 rear caliper (Girling 38 or something from memory) and T4 280mm rotor. For some reason I had to get a centering ring made up for my T4 rotor to be centered perfectly on the standard (albeit machined down in OD) hub. No one seems to mention/need that, so maybe my VW Heritage sourced T4 rotors has a larger centre hole or something (I saw no other way the rotor would get centered otherwise)? The only other things to note is I needed to weld on a L-bracket to the trailing arm (I made mine but eyptec also sell) for something rigid to mount a flex hose (used a spare T3 rear brake flex) between the swing arm and the caliper.

Not saying the epytec are better or the way to go over others, but at the time they were the kit I could get in a reasonable timeframe (gave up chasing Mark on his kit) and expense. I'd rather go for Nils (even if just the copy of Marks version) just to have that local support.