1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 Subaru Engine

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Patroni, Feb 19, 2017.

1. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

What happens to the gearbox in this conversion? Does it mount to the original vw one somehow or do you bring the Subaru gearbox with it? If so, do you have the option of manual or automatic?
    Guess I'm asking which is harder to fit, Auto or manual.
    I always hear about the "engine" conversion but what goes on with the gearbox arrangement?

2. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

My Subaru EJ20 conversion has an adaptor plate and custom flywheels that hooks straight up to the VW 5 speed box and standard VW clutch plate.
    I dont know ratios or gear spacing for the 4 speed but the VW 5 speed seems just right.

3. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

My gearbox is the rebuilt original VW / Steyr Daimler Puch gearbox and connects to the Suby engine via a Smallcar bell-housing. This utilises the Subaru starter & clutch but uses a VW clutch disc. This also uses a new Subaru flywheel.

Goes together very well.

See photo below:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    David H, Grantus and Luckyphil like this.
  4. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

some of your finest rattle canning there :)

Syncro27 likes this.
  5. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on his rattle canning, I'm rebuilding hos old TB at the moment.

What a pain :oops::p

6. Syncro27

Hey, if you keep still for too long around my place you get rattle canned.

Thats why my daughters are athletes - I haven't caught them yet with the rattle can.

Grantus likes this.
  7. Syncro27

A
    At least you can tell which ones are mine. :D

I have been struggling to resist rattle canning my current throttle body - It has been spared to date - but for how long?:rolleyes:

8. Syncro27

By the way Phil,

I had to rattle can the gearbox to match the unpainted bell-housing - it was very shiny - so the gearbox had to match. ;)

9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

And I thought it was just people doing graffiti that should be banned from buying rattle cans.........:rolleyes:

Maybe that list of banned buyers should be extended....o_O

Syncro27 likes this.
  10. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Where would we be without our vital milk crates.:)

Syncro27 likes this.
  11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

We used to use them at work to stand on as government departments are exempt from Workcover. After a while they would weaken and your leg would go through and they act like a trap. It took three people to prise it apart to get my leg out.

Syncro27 likes this.
  12. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Government Departments are not exempt, hey they may not give a toss but are not exempt.

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

In real life they are. We tried to enforce regulations such as safety representation and it was impossible.

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

They have layers that can drag it out long enough that any laws are totaly impotent.

David H, Syncro27 and syncro like this.
  15. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

Very nice looking bit of kit Syncro27. I've heard the VW Starter struggles with the Suby motor. The conversion kit for my van came from John at Volks Conversions on the Gold Coast. He recommended and supplied a high torque starter motor for $450 and Subaru conversion kit for $770. I think its good value as it includes billet flywheel, 9mm adaptor plate and all the bolts.
    My shopping list now is for a new sump - quoted $800 I just have to find someone local to do the exhaust system for a reasonable price.
    The motor (ej20 with 98k) came from a Subaru Liberty wreck. $2000 bought the the whole car (major rear end shunt) so it came with the wiring and computer. Considering that when the motor finally gets rattly and the conversions been done it will be a far cheaper to changeover another Suby than trying to repair the wasserboxer.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  16. Syncro27

That was my reason for going with a EJ25 - they are like assholes - everyone has one just about.

A bit of work to do the change over of sump, reversed manifold and ancillaries plus new timing belts and water-pump/ thermostat etc but you can pick them up real cheap working well with fairly low kms and no leaks.

Try doing that with a VW waterleaker :eek:

17. MikeCormack

MikeCormack Member

Where did you source this and who rebuilt it for you?

18. Syncro27

Hi Mike,

I got the bell-housing from Smallcar in the USA and I had Rudi Purkhardt from Bribie Island fit it when he was re-building my gearbox.

He does a great job that fella :)

MikeCormack likes this.
  19. MikeCormack

MikeCormack Member

Was it your original gearbox? Mine can't fit a locker and so I want to find one with the boss and rebuilt it with new gearing.

20. Syncro27

Yes it was my gearbox which has a rear diff lock and the decoupler was fitted about 2 years prior to the latest rebuild.

Not easy to find those gearbox housings but Rudi may be able to help you with everything rear diff lock? He had to replace the low gear housing on mine due to a dead bearing that killed the original housing.

Worth asking. ;)