1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 Suspension Replacement

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Harribo, Aug 26, 2021.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I'm glad you called them a gas pressure shock absorber.

I've never had a choice of valving. Do you have to make a special factory order?

In about 1973 I bought some Bilsteins 2nd hand that had done a few seasons on Chris Heyers Catalina Rallycross Beetle. I put them on my Beetle rally car for a few years then transferred them to my 1500 Beetle. After about 250,000kms on the 1500 I noticed a knocking sound in the shock. I removed them and there was about 2mm end play in the shaft as if the piston nut had come loose. The shock absorbers still worked perfectly.

For rough road or off road use use I would go Bilstein. For on road I would use Bilstein or Koni.

Luckyphil likes this.
  2. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Quadrant Automotive Suspensions (Aust) Pty Ltd in Intrepid Street, Berwick, Vic used to import Bilstein to Vic.
    The owners were heavily involved in the rally scene. Unfortunately Quadrant disappeared a few years ago.
    Quadrant also did repairs (Bilsteins are fully serviceable and will outlast most cars), custom modifications and re-valving.
    The Mighty Boy has custom made Bilsteins from Quadrant!
    Brisbane based Fulcrum Suspensions seem to be the Australian agents now. I don't know if they do repairs, re-valving etc.
    Bursons now stock Bilsteins - don't know if they get them through Fulcrum or another source.
    A call to Fulcrum would enable the OP to see if/what Bilsteins would suit his T3.
    PR

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

For me Koni red for a comfort but controlled road use.
    Bilstein B6 for noticeable less roll but still comfortable. Nice feel
    And the better choice in my view suited to loaded or empty light off road.

I would also prefer these for any lowering that gives less travel due to stiffer compression as well as rebound, but length suitability needs checking as seems they only do one length suitable for our vehicles.

Harribo and syncro like this.
  5. Harribo

Harribo Active Member

Cheers for that, was looking at well over 500 bucks to purchase here! Happy to wait a bit longer for those savings!

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I have B6 Bilsteins on my T3 and it’s fine

It’s lowered 2” so I have beetle on the back and Navara on the front both with a few mods

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

One thing I have looked at is more rear travel without raising vehicle.
    Landrover Discovery 2 rear shocks fit and are 2" longer in extension.
    This allows wheel to drop further to maintain traction.
    Only issue I've found is that the stock springs do not follow the plan.
    They loose extension less than 1" from normal limitation which is controlled by shocks.
    I have a set of coils that Im pretty sure are from a late caravelle( T3)
    They are 1mm less in wire thickness.
    If I could get them reset 2.1/2" longer I recon they would give stock height with the extra travel.

Barry likes this.