1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 - T25 camper trailer build blog

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by kombijon, Mar 13, 2011.

1. kombijon

kombijon Member

as i have sooo much time, i thought i'd share this with you.

Firstly get a knackered old kombi, i found this in my drive way.
    [​IMG]

Strip it and gut it, try sell off as much as possible, it saves putting it away!
    [​IMG]

cut the roof off, i'm using the back end, so i only cut the rear section off.
    [​IMG]

now cut it in half, alot easier said than done, but i did it!
    [​IMG]

REMEMBER, measure twice and cut once, wild guessing twice is NOT measuring. i have screwed up but its not all bad!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. kombijon

kombijon Member

ok now its in two parts, trim off the exccess metal and you start to get that camper trailer look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

some wood (i think its tree wood i need) some expanding foam, fibre glass poo, a bunch of patio tube, and a couple more weekends work should see this on the road.

i'll be fitting a pull out BBQ in the engine compartment, some of the quicker ones will know BBQ's wont fit in that little hole behind the number plate, so more cutting needed.
    i will also be inverting the hump over the gearbox so it gives me more water proof storage area, and better use of the vehicle!

3. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Oh Myyyy God

4. kombijon

kombijon Member

HAhaha, gerry, you are in victoria and you are shocked, you should be my neighbour!
    i think they are used to it now cos stripping cars on the drive has happened a couple of times!!
    picture 1 was saturday, a few bits removed, but nothing big, pics 5&6 about 5pm sunday. tooo easy!

5. stuartandtheshoes

stuartandtheshoes New Member

'What did you do to your Vanagon today?'

Monster, monster garage!

6. kombijon

kombijon Member

not quite sure 'bout that, :wtf: how about Scrap Heap Challenge?:lol: :lol:

7. kombijon

kombijon Member

Lets play "INVERT THE HUMP!!" A game for all the family, but don't tell the vicar!!

Todays progress..... if you leave the sound deadening tar mats in the sun, they peel off like and orange skin,
    [​IMG]

Strip off everything thats not actually going to be part of trailer,
    [​IMG]

after careful measuring, mark out and cut, Ahhhh who am i kidding, a few wild guesses and ATTACK!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. kombijon

kombijon Member

IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN ADD MORE THAN 4 IMAGES?

i'll have to get some steel and patio tube tomorrow, the reason i couldnt do it today.............
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Damn!! I wanted those door handles.
    Ha.

10. ahoogah

ahoogah New Member

I really do like your style kombijon !

11. peace_fam

peace_fam Member

Can't wait to see the finished product! :)

12. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Youre a maniac Jon.

Looks like a usefull bit of an otherwise dead T3.

13. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

Very cool.

Here's some inspiration for you to get you to the finished product.

http://www.paulsweb.info/blog

Maybe we can start a kombi camper trailer club!

14. kombijon

kombijon Member

thanks for the support guys, interesting link Vanders.

Today i got the box and tube stuff, but bugger all else.

"OVERHANG" OFFICER? BUT I'M NOT THE ONE WITH A FACE FULL OF DOUGHNUTS AND A CHOCKY MILK TASH!

[​IMG]

I've had a generous offer of some wood from the tin man (wizard of Oz), i think i need some Indonisian ply.

BLOG BUILD FACTOID (Hey Stu you like this?)
    The Indonisian Ply Tree is an amzaing 4ft square when fully grown at just over 32 ft high, All wood yards have to do is slice them after they have been felled!

15. kombijon

kombijon Member

CUTIIN N WELDIN I made short work of the patio tube, i've strengthened the chassis with a cross member, welded on the front uprights, i've cut the top cross member to length, or there abouts, since this pic i've painted all the welds in cold galv, and i'll be giving them a smudge of Sikaflex too, not cos i'm a great worker but cos i'm a crap welder!

[​IMG]

16. kombijon

kombijon Member

I forgot to mention that today i also jet washed the whole lot, it looks really good now, well it looks like a peice of clean scrap now!

i priced up some sheet steel, for a piece 1.2M x 2,4M x 1.2MM its $120, yep A HUNDRED AND TWENTY BOOKS!!!! (INSERT SHOCK HERE!) no wonder people steal cars uh? luckily i have the roof off an old 64 VW station wagon, i'll dig it out later, its stuck behind a rusty 15ft bomb!!

yeah the bomb started ticking so i left the roof section exactly where it is!!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  17. kombijon

kombijon Member

ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER WELDING BURN! TODAY, I'VE ADDED MORE TUBING (opps caps on) to support not only the camper top, but the front uprights etc.
    remember post 1? (all that time ago in the hazy crazy summer of last weekend) measure twice cut once, well i'm repairing my phook up, so i've welded on the side panels, not sure what to cover the front with yet, ply? ally? steel? string???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LOOK WHAT I SCORED TODAY! i've got an open eye for anything that can be used, and i got these amazing slider hinges from work.
    conversation went something like........(ME) the hinges on those guard panels are getting stiff lads, how about we change 'em?
    (them) Oh yes Supreme Being and master of metal and pies
    Great, i'll have the old ones, and before you start that task, bring me another concubine cos this ones full!
    Yes Sir, Yes Sir! thank you for the tasks and enjoy you new toy!
    These will make the pull out BBQ so much easier, a dream find!!
    [​IMG]

18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I guess it's too late to consider using the lower half of the front of the bus, to fill it in...:rolleyes:

The indicators would have made great front trailer marker lights too....:)

19. kombijon

kombijon Member

Grantus, i like the idea, but it would have been very difficult. keep em coming tho!!

i managed to knock a few things off my shopping list..........heres the list.

milk
    cat food
    pasta
    tomatoes
    saffron,
    mince meat
    playboy with the readers wives special DVD
    adult plastic pants
    2 tins of beans
    whipped cream and honey

tow hitch
    jockey wheel
    LED markers
    elecy socket
    jacking legs
    7 core cable
    paint stripper
    paint

I'll try not mix the last 2 up, but i've got the jockey wheel and clamp, the LED markers, the elecy socket, and i've got some white enamel paint, and i got most of the stuff from the top of the list........please dont call on Saturday night cos i'm going to be very busy! (and sore? hopefully happy, with that fulfilled feeling!)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  20. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    hahaha you crack me up Jon, your posts are hilarious.

If you need help with any more trailer parts try MARTIN'S TRAILER PARTS in O'Connor (81 Forsyth Street), they're the best, we get all our trailer bits there ;)