1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 undersized and tyres (rims help)

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Nobby225, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Nobby225

Nobby225 New Member

Hey all,

The current steel rims that are on my car are a set of 15" and wider than original rims, however whoever installed them previous to me put tyres that are too small. The car speedo tells me im doing 10km more than im actually going according to my GPS, and to keep up with traffic is causing the motor to rev harder than it should. Ive attached two photos, one of the current set of tyres and one of the spare wheel.

I think that rather than buying a wider diameter set of tyres for the existing steel rims, i want to buy a set of alloy rims maybe 16 or 17" and add some new tyres to them. Its hard to find rims that are specific to the T3 especially in Perth, but ive heard that Mercedes C class rims fit if you enlarge the bolt holes. Can you guys please guide me to what i should be looking for, and advantages/disadvantages to different sizes. Im looking on gumtree and there are a few that i would like but i dont know if they would fit. Heres a couple of links can someone advise if these would even fit:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/joo...ercedes-alloy-rims-the-lot-17-inch/1185841152

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/landsdale/wheels-tyres-rims/mercedez-benz-wheels/1187247167

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/roleystone/wheels-tyres-rims/audi-vw-skoda-wheels-x4/1188380409

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

KahunaKombi likes this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

195/60.15 is 615mm OD.
    Way too small as you know.
    The load rating is also way too low .

Stock is 185/80.14 or 650-655mmOD.

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

This gives a few options.
    A min of 205width improves stability.
    Equally, lower profiles improve stability and handling.

Use the calculator to achieve what you desire, given that not all sizes avail and more common sizings cheaper.
    Construction of tyre and compounds are important

A T3 requires a Lt rating of 97 in a Lt, C or xl rated tyre. This includes passenger construction.
    If passenger without a xl or similar you need to multiply by 10%. ie 99.

Stud pattern is 5x112.
    ET between 28and 44 should work for a 7" or narrower rim.

If test fitting rims, allow about 10mm for tyre bulge plus a gap to rear trailing arm.
    In front check suspension ball joint on inner and outer must be within bodywork.
    Test on full lock and full compression.

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That is normal

oldman likes this.
  5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

A camper or a Caravelle is a passenger vehicle not a goods vehicle. No need to multiply.

If you had a Caravelle GL with 14x6 alloys they had 205/70x14.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good point.
    The 205/70.14 was a C rated tho as far as I'm aware.
    Even tho the C was not included on all labels.

7. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

My bus had 91 load rated tyres when I purchased it and it was horrible! Now have merc c class 16” steels and 99 load rating and it’s lovely :) buy good tyres!!

8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Sure, rolling diameter of your rim/tyre combo. will affect your speedo.....but, your tyres would have to be really under dia. to cause the motor to over rev. .....Speedo’s have an in built safety margin and will always over read unless your vehicle is around 76 our older.... My 76 read spot on with my gps, ....until I swapped the dash cluster out for one from a later bay that included a speedo with a tripmeter....now it reads about 7 kph over....
    Trying to match wheels to speedo reading to actual speed will be a very time consuming process.........
    I just drive to my speedo ‘round town and by the gps when on the freeway......works for me ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget the centre bore on the wheels also if you are going to change to a different make or go mags - front generally ok but rear is where it changes :rolleyes: (from memory) :confused:

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Close Bert, (hope your memory is not fading :p), but it’s the huge front greasecaps that generally require the centrebore to be enlarged. ;)

oldman likes this.
  11. Nobby225

Nobby225 New Member

Cheers for all the responses guys. The more i hear the trickier this is getting...
    Tyre size seems to be a rabbit hole that i think i should go down after i get a set of alloys, but thats where im struggling as i want to get a second hand set off gumtree as there is a bunch available, and going new is a little out of my price range. Any hints of specific cars rims that will fit the old girl? I know i may need to bore out the bolt holes which is easy, but the tricky part is ill have to buy it and drill it out to see if itll fit in the body work. Also the grease caps being large seems like itll limit what will fit.

12. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Stick with Mercedes rims between ET 25-37 and 6-7inchs wide.

you'll be golden.

Syncro27 and Dapom like this.
  13. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

What I have done with grease caps is get some stainless steel creme brulee single serve dish and push them through from the inside.
    Bang a VW sticker on them and they look like bought one

14. Vamper1

Vamper1 Member

I just went to a large tyre wheel outlet (tempe tyres Sydney) and they had generic alloy wheels which they drilled out the centre bore and wheel nut holes to fit. :)
    They had the specs with the correct ET sizes.
    and with the new tyre package my costs were $1150, 4 x 16" alloys and tyres. It raised my Syncro nearly 50mm.Very happy

hairyman likes this.
  15. Nobby225

Nobby225 New Member

Ahh nice that narrows it down quite alot, cheers

what do you mean by 6-7 inches wide, nils? Just been playing with the tyre size calculator and the original thin tyres are 7.3" wide?

This one is ET37 but seems like its too wide and im not too sure about the style:
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lan...g-mercedes-benz-rims-pirelli-tyres/1188391715

But this one is ET42 and seems like they would suit better, especially with the bald back tryes i can modify to 215/60/16 and would be the perfect Circumference:
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hun...s-mercedes-benz-original-and-tyres/1174462585

$800 seems high but been online since February so im sure he'd go way down.

16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Rim width

18. Nobby225

Nobby225 New Member

Thanks Barry, the stainless steel cups seems like a good idea and something ill mcgiver up at some point. Rim width of 6-7 inches wide seems small? in the link earlier the thinner of the two mentions 22cm wide Et 42 rim which is 8.6inches wide

19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

You are talking tire width (tread width) as opposed to rim width

I run a 225mm tyre on a 7" (175mm) rim

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Font forget you will need longer studs and bolts to legaly mount most mags.
    A costly fit job.

Plus merc studs are often 12mm so the ball shape of nut is different from the vw 14mm stud.

Dapom likes this.