1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 undersized and tyres (rims help)

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Nobby225, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Nobby225

Nobby225 New Member

Ahh really. Did everyone else have to do that?

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Yep.......:(

To fit the Italian MAK 18’s on the bus: Longer rear studs, longer front bolts, and 10mm spacers to correct the ET.....

To fit the German Borbet VW 16’s on the SC: Longer rear studs, longer front bolts, Machine the Centre bores larger, and 20mm spacers to correct the ET....

The only thing that didn’t need work, was the nut holes, or the 112 PCD.

It’s not cheap or easy to look cool! :p

85B3FCE5-8FFF-454C-9920-823B39CF68EB.jpeg

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Arse about again eh :eek: thought with the Audi replica's on Igor then the Performance Mags on the T3 SC I'd have remembered those damn grease caps and not the rear castle nuts :rolleyes:

4. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

Hi Nobby... I did it fairly cheap and easy. I bought VW Tiguan wheels of Gumtree for about $400 with fairly good SUV tyres with a 98 load rating. They have exactly the right off-set but you will have to get the Tiguan nuts ( ball type not taper) for the rear.. The good thing with the Tiguan nut it will bury them selves into the wheel far enough on the rear that you dont require longer studs . Wheel size is a bit large @ 215 /65 /16 but good for cruising. At some stage I am going to go for a lower profile on the front so the speedo gets closer to real speed.. and I think it will improve "the stance"
    The only modification you will need to do is for the front wheels. the centre cap hole has to bored out and you will need to source 10 "ball type" stud nuts.
    Note: I will say it again... VW Tiguan wheels use cup type nuts.. not you're garden variety tapered mag wheel nuts. I got mine online from an Australian VW supplier in Sydney but cant remember who.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  5. Nobby225

Nobby225 New Member

OK nice, thanks Kimosabi. I'll keep an eye out for a set of Tiguan rims and nuts

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Standard Kombi. M14 Ball nuts
    T3 alloys M14 Taper nuts.

What's a "cup" nut?

7. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's ball taper then like the standard nuts.

Are Tiguans M12 or M14 nuts?

If they are M14 then standard nuts will fit. If they are M12 you will need specials.

9. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

M14. The Tiguan nuts bolted straight onto the rear T3 hub.. the Tiguan wheels must have a fairly deep recess to accept the nuts because I did'nt have to use extended studs.

10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

11. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

After almost pulling the trigger on importing from Germany 5 rims, I was told of a bloke in QLD. Mick motors VW spare parts. https://www.mickmotors.com.au/
    Gave him a call and he sent me 5, 16" x 6" Mefro rims. $80 to ship down to Melbourne, sent Friday, arrived Monday. Bloody good service. Now booked in to have Goodrich AT's put on. Didnt think I was ever going to get 16"s on and was nver going up to 17's as Ive heard it ruins the ride. Persistence is key with the T3.
    37966904_10216707810150009_7710438573836599296_n.jpg

Syncro27, Barry and melissa like this.
  12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Medro's are a good choice.
    Not cheap - but a good choice
    Well done

13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Mick been in the business for many moons and amazing how much stuff he has :eek:
    His knowledge is close to 2nd to none :confused: although some times it may take a bit of deeper explanation for him to understand what you're after - Ross and Graham more the new skool :cool: