1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 wheels - Advice please

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Esky, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Esky

Esky New Member

Hi Guys,

One of my faithful old school Performance Mags (which I love dearly) has given up the ghost (large crack in the alloy that can't be repaired). So it is time to replace them, can anyone advise of a mag wheel that will fit straight onto a T3?

Is there a Mercedes, Audi, or VW wheel or alternatively a known brand of wheel that will fit straight on? and if so can anyone tell me what model, size etc. I understand the wheel is 5x112 pcd and ET of 28 to 36 and a center bore of 66 mm and 14 mm bolt (I think that's all correct).

I have looked at some of the forum conversations re wheels, but I still can't quite get my head around what would be best suited (other than the standard wheel).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

My Merc Wheels fitted straight on and clear everything - yet I did need to drill out the wheel bolts holes to 14mm from 12mm - easy job - took 5mins per wheel.

The wheels are 16" Merc alloys from what (i dont know) as when i bought them the car they came off was long gone. But they are 16" x 7" with ET23 running 215 x 60 x 16 tyres

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  3. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they're off a c-class.
    On a side note, what brand and load rating are your tyres and are you happy with them?

4. Syncro27

They are Habilead Comfortmax 95V.

They are great - they have great grip and are really smooth on the freeway. :D

5. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Ahh some real world advice on tyres that didn't degenerate (yet) into the 'they should be LT tyres' :) thanks :)

johnvw and syncro like this.
  6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Performance Wheels were great quality and I had them on a few of my cars - but all good things do come ot an end.

If you can find then some Sunraysia Steel Rims or T3 Syncro Steel Rims would be my choice - both are wider than standard and look more period correct but once again that's my view and others will have there's ;):confused::p

7. Esky

Esky New Member

Thanks for that, pretty confident I can drill out wheel bolt holes. I shall start looking. Love your van by the way :)

Syncro27 likes this.
  8. Esky

Esky New Member

Yes I shall miss my rims, they were a bit different and your right "period correct". I shall keep my eye out for these as well :)

9. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Here is some real world advice - the 95 rated passenger tyres I bought for my T2 based on advice on this forum are starting to show the first signs of sidewall bulges plus the have a maximum pressure of 35 psi which is too low for a kombi. I bought light truck tyres for the T3 and there are no issues plus I can inflate them properly.

10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

11. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Those rims will bolt straight up to the rear on a T3 but you will need the correct nuts from http://t3technique.com/ .

For the front they have already been machined out to fit over the 2WD front hub but the lip has to be machined off the grease cap first. Also need Tiguan lug bolts for the front.

That size tyre will put the speedo out on a 2WD but not a Syncro

12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Apart from the VW factory alloys that were fitted to the Carats, I think you will find that no others will just fit straight on to a T3.:rolleyes:

It's a matter of how many, or how few modifications are required, to make them fit......;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Syncro27 likes this.
  13. Syncro27

I have had mine on for over a couple of years now with a quite a few miles of highway and local roads in the heat and cold and running at 39PSi with no issues at all. (maybe I have been lucky :p)

14. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Maybe yours are of better quality too....brands and ratings don't always tell the full story...

15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

What brand of tyres are they? o_O

16. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

If you're looking at steel rims I have all the info for 16" Mercedes steels onto t3 :)

hdj80 likes this.
  17. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I have used Mercedes 15" rims on my '82 camper and on the '89 Syncro without issues. The only necessity was to use special nuts from Van Cafe, http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1303_340/mefro-lug-hardware.html, as the recess in the wheel for the nuts are of a different taper. I did use Sunraysia rims for a while on the camper but found that they needed on on vehicle balance to be done. This was not a good idea when travelling to remote areas as changing a tyre could mean some vibration. The different rims are pictured in the thread, http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/my-evolution-to-a-non-kombi-camper.53823/ .

Ian

18. hdj80

hdj80 Member

I am chasing 5 of 15" or 16" steel wheels for my Syncro. so any advise I am happy to receive

19. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I've got a 2wd but I'm sure someone will advise if these won't fit a Syncro :)
    Merecedes c class. 16" et30. The ones I've got almost ready to go on were off a w204. When searching classifieds it's worth searching for Mercedes hub caps....people don't know what they're selling lol
    The only option for nuts/bolts are the ones from T3 technique. I've hunted for other options and for correct engagement there is no other option.

20. Syncro27

Just checked my tyre rating and they are good for 44PSI - no worries there - I never put that much in. :D