1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T4 Codes ?

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Wayne Hopkins, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Wayne Hopkins

Wayne Hopkins New Member

My T4 96 Transporter/Campervan was loosing power before Christmas in 3/4 gear, mechanic put in new plugs , leads, checked injectors , replaced hoses etc... sent computer away found faulty MAP Sensor, replaced senor now will not start !!! Mechanic seems to have tripped some "CODES" which he cant get !! tried various VW Dealers who will not touch van because of age......Mechanic said.... may have to tow to Sydney !(from Ulladulla)

Any one got any Ideas...? some codes are working some aren't ...

Cheers

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Grantus and melissa like this.
  3. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

Is there a way to reset the ecu so it starts from scratch without remembering any previous problems?

My 2001 Ford Focus did that if I unplugged the battery and left it overnight.

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I am not sure that T4s are that smart.

5. Wayne Hopkins

Wayne Hopkins New Member

Thanks for information....
    Just got T4 back..... had to get van towed to Nowra VW Dealer because they wouldn't give out VW Codes !!!

Now I am told that now after repairing MAP Sensor/Engine Control Unit, Remove and Test ECU Immobiliser Module..... that because age of T4 that electronics/computer may/is failing...
    Van is still loosing power in 3rd/4th when you try to accelerate or when van is under load..... feels as if there is a fuel blockage (which has been checked)or plug /leads breaking down(all replaced)..
    Only thing left is timing belt ??

Any ideas ????

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Drive it to someone that knows what they are doing.

Wayne Hopkins likes this.
  7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Take exit line off fuel filter & check it yourself:p. Trust no one;).
    Cheers

8. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Assuming that the coil and H/T leads have been checked, both of these items fail regularly particularly the coil due to the placement under the plenum drain hose and this will cause tracking of the spark. Have a look in the engine bay at night and you may spot it. i lean toward spark mainly because of the miss under load, i don't think the computer is that clever.

Wayne Hopkins and syncro like this.
  9. Wayne Hopkins

Wayne Hopkins New Member

Thanks again for the info......taking for a second opinion, if that fails a couple of questions...

1...... if I need a new ECU are they easy to come by..?

2. ... Does ECU have to be same year..? a mate has one but from a earlier model. so I gather that it (ECU) would have to be coded

10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Doubtful that it is an ECU, but it could happen.

ECU would have to be same engine and gearbox.

Speak with someone that knows these vehicles. eg. Matt at Camden GTI or Steve Muller at Annangrove.

11. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Definitely act on Phil's recommendation - I have dealt with both Matt and Steve - they know their stuff!

Wayne Hopkins likes this.
  12. Howard

Howard New Member

I’m a newbie here but, for what it’s worth, I have a T4 2003 Syncro that was suffering from lack of power for several years.
    I eventually found a diesel mechanic (ex tractor mechanic I knew from years gone by) who was excellent at following through problems and found the injector pump was 180 degrees out. Goes like the clappers now.
    Maybe !!!!

Cheers

Howard

Barry likes this.
  13. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

G’day Howard
    That’s a great outcome
    Barry