T4 Rear Disc Install in a T3.

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by mackaymanx, Apr 28, 2018.

1. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Here a couple of photos of the brackets dummied up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the carrier

[​IMG]

Dapom and Luckyphil like this.
  2. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

You will need longer wheel studs as the T4 disc is 9 mm verses the T3 drum at 2.5 mm, so you will need 6.5 mm more stud length and will also increase your track width by 13 mm. As my wheels at ET +33 my track was 6mm narrower already so my track increase is only +7 mm.

With the caliper. Paper is there to keep the coating on the disc off the pad.

[​IMG]

3. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Carrier could come in a bit towards the centreline of the axle slightly but is good enough. I will see if i can adjust it a bit better to see if it will improve. Lateral clearance on the carrier around the disc is good and reasonably even.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Syncro27 and Luckyphil like this.
  4. peter915

peter915 Active Member

Nice one Brent.
    Did you punch out the original wheel studs with a FBH? I've only ever replaced broken studs.
    I'm waiting on my hubs to come back from machine shop.
    How well did the handbrake cable fit?
    Did you run one single brake hydraulic flex pipe from chassis connection ?

5. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Studs were pressed out and had already been done before this work. Handbrake and hydraulic line have not been looked at yet.

6. nils

nils Well-Known Member

did you find that one of the holes were oversized to fit? and the upper edge bracket needed grinding to clear the bearing carrier?

7. nils

nils Well-Known Member

And why are your carriers so shiny? :p

8. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Carriers have been blasted and painted, I'm mid way through the rest. Yes the top bracket needed a quick hit with the grinder. The bottom bracket holes are in the wrong place, one has been over sized and the other needs work too(the measurements are wrong). Personally would have done the the top and bottom bracket in one piece and ended up with less bolts. I was going to get to these problems in a later post

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kafermeister

Kafermeister Member

Out of interest how does the rotor centre? Will be interested to see what you do with the handbrake cable, not totally happy with mine. It works but am sure there is a better solution.

10. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I have this kit and my hand brake works really well, much better than with the old drums. I didnt fit my kit so was not aware of any of the issues mentioned above but can say am totally happy with the end result.

11. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

The rotor centres in the carrier well, not perfect but lots better than a Shermann kit that I've seen.

12. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Sorry mate, didn't mean to jump ahead.
    Just thought there was alot wrong with these and was surprised no one had mentioned it yet. I was starting to think i was putting it together wrong o_O

Luckyphil likes this.
  13. Luckyphil

Hey Nils perhaps you could list the issues so others that have bought this kit can save some time & frustration. Have you fitted yours yet?

14. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

My mechanic didn't complaint about any of these issues with the install - only the brake line needed changing to ensure it had good clearance and he changed the way the handbrake cable attaches slightly. Otherwise no issues.

15. nils

nils Well-Known Member

No mate, I just had them moked up on the bench using that spare set of arms I have.

"Wrong" is probably not the right term.
    They will work but they are not quite right. Brent is as picky as I am, I am sure he will cover these details in his write up.

Besides with all the brake conversions you are sending my way right now Phil I don't have time for my van :p

Luckyphil likes this.
  16. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Yes as a machinist by trade I am picky when it comes to this sort of stuff, I've been told before by certain vendor here in Australia to just drill a bigger hole when the part did not line up. Well instead of wrong lets just say that some of the hole are not where they should be and that making them bigger does not stop them from being in a place where they should not be in the first place.

Grantus, cbus, nils and 1 other person like this.
  17. peter915

peter915 Active Member

Had a play with my rear brake kit today.
    I can't finish it as my hubs are still at the machinist but to me this looks possible?
    It would seem I have the top adaptor bracket different to Brent's arrangement ?
    Only modification I had to do was lightly relief the top hole on the wheel bearing housing - just slightly so the socket screw would fit.
    To me - the way I have the plates arranged, when I look at the OEM bearing housing outline - the adaptor brackets mirror the edges of the housing - like they were perhaps intended?
    But I could be wrong?
    Not properly assembled - no washers, or tension yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.
  18. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

This is my hub machined down, I put a 8 degree taper on the edge(OD) in match the inside of the disc. This will give me a snug fit to counter the lack of something to align on where the drum would normally fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut the brake line back, flared the end and got some brackets off my parts van.

[​IMG]

This the flaring tool, bought it to do work on my Manx and has paid for itself quite well.

[​IMG]

Syncro27 and Luckyphil like this.
  19. Luckyphil

Syncro27 likes this.
  20. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I too did the taper on the OD, but am making up hub spacers as well.

How do you rate that flare tool? Good flare every time? Been looking to buy the same one.

Peter - you couldn't have just the single bolt engaged as you have pictured as the brake forces will make it rock back and forth.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018