1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T4 Rear Disc Install in a T3.

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by mackaymanx, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I have heard around various forums that mk2 golf cables are the right length etc. wouldn’t take it as gospel but might be worth looking into :)

2. peter915

peter915 Guest

The spring clips VW use to retain the brake line (hydraulic) where the flexible hose meets the steel (hard) brake line where it passes through a bracket:
    I had used all mine doing this modification and needed a few more.
    Cricks Motors (VW dealer) spare parts helped me find these clips
    Still available - at $1.34 each. So I ordered some.
    I see the same thing on AliExpress
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4Pc...5a5d-4309-83a8-87650b6d7978&priceBeautifyAB=0

3. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Will that plastic tube hold water & promote corrosion?

4. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Brake hoses are done, I went for a 45 degree banjo fitting. Banjo bolts and washers came with G60s on the front brakes so I saved there.

[​IMG]

Assembled with the hard lines shortened and properly supported.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

grantw, Syncro27, nils and 1 other person like this.
  5. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Handbrake still to finish, made some progress there but more to do to get it where I want.

And no, those brake hoses where not cheap.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  6. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Not sure if I will go this way with the hand brake.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nils, Syncro27 and Luckyphil like this.
  7. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Gee they look good when newly done.

They work great too - especially the handbrake - I was pleasantly surprised with mine.

8. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Well-Known Member

Nice pictures!

9. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I too thought I was seeing too many brake lines unsupported, the braided lines is what I was thinking as well . Wasn't sure on whether to used the 90 fitting or a banjo though, Guess a 90 won't fit be the look of that.

10. peter915

peter915 Guest

Does anyone have contact details for someone who supplies longer wheel studs?
    Seems all the hub bolts I can source are a millimetre bigger in diameter at the spline end. I measure 14.70mm at the spline end.
    Need a longer stud. OEM is 40mm, need 50mm.
    Off the shelf are 15.60 dia spline studs

11. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

12. peter915

peter915 Guest

Thanks Brent
    Order placed with T3technique
    P

13. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

This what I ended up with at the caliper. This is a 2wd cable which is 45mm longer than the LH Syncro cable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still needed to make the outer sheath longer, made some adapters and used part of a bowden tube from a beetle. I needed to remove the excess material from the swage to get it through the tube.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still have the RH side to do, 2wd cable is 85mm longer than the RH syncro cable. Should have done this before I installed the driveshaft and it's guards.

nils likes this.
  14. nils

nils Well-Known Member

that's well thought out, bravo

15. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Ok, this is the RH side done, using the LH cable which is about 40mm longer than the RH one. I have moved the protective sleeves around abit to suit the new position of the cable. They will move if you work at them enough.

Remember than you must have some slack for the outer sheath to move as the trailing arm travels up, otherwise your handbrake will come on or drag as the arm moves.

[​IMG]

I tried to keep the equaliser bar at the same angle as stock. Hand brake appears to have a bit more travel at the handle but looks to be working ok. Have to get my Syncro mobile to do some proper tests.

[​IMG]

16. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

These are the dimensions of the T3 hub, sorry it's just a mud map. But when you compare measurements you will see where the discrepancies are.

[​IMG]

17. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Top bracket.

[​IMG]

Carrier bracket. The 119mm measurement is 120mm on the caliper carrier.

[​IMG]

Bottom bracket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

No guarantees that I haven't made a mistake but I did go through it sereval times.

19. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

To those that bought the last of these kits. I pestered the seller to copy the kit he had on his van & after 18 months he had a number of copies made. Myself & others have had this kit fitted for a long time now with ZERO issues. All i see in these posts is negativity. Hey you could have come up with your own but you didnt so what is your point. No wonder people dont develop stuff. The mods done by you guys were your choice but not necessary and in comparison to anything else available in Australia using all VW parts is far superior. So fit them up and forget about them as will serve you well.

Syncro27 likes this.
  20. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Well I think I have made a honest appraisal of what is required to fit these brackets. I won't call it a kit as that would need to include hard line brackets, flexible brake lines, hand brake parts and instruction. I have pointed out areas where things need attention to help people get a good install. I think reading this thread will aid people and contribute to an improvement in the design. The photos here show more than anyone else has shown in detail. I still have not seen anybody elses complete hand brake cable install and I have highlighted some important thing to consider specially with a Syncro which use different cable lengths. I have seen unsupported brake hard lines which an engineer should not pass and I'm not going to ignore these thing for fear of offending someones feelings. I'm not going to let some one that doesn't know think that is a safe thing to do.

Am I satisfied with the result, yes.

Can it be improved, yes.

EDIT I don't consider anything I have done to be a "mod" above what was necessary to have a working and safe install.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    syncro and Kresto like this.