1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T4 Rear Disc Install in a T3.

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by mackaymanx, Apr 28, 2018.

1. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Dude I love how different our methods are to get to the same point :p (Though mine is 0.02mm different:D)
    If you got me to do the maths on paper now days, I would probably have to get out a book and do a refresher.
    rear carrier measurement.png

I'm with Brent on this one Phil, I think negativity is a strong word to use in this case. Really just improving what is available and not leaving anyone who is undertaking it themselves stranded.
    We all want all the Kombi Club members to go home safe, so things like brakes really should be spot on and the more information that is available on the subject the better.
    I for one will be having the lower bracket re-cut next I have something lasered and plan on doing the same for anyone interested in replacing theirs for cost of material.
    I also bought a set of these brackets not so much that I was lazy but that I could simply and quickly put them on file and they can be remade with the minimum of fuss next time, with the feedback received here future KCérs can enjoy even better parts

David H likes this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Gonna delve in here.....where maybe I shouldn’t, but here goes........

Running two t3’s , one for just on 30 years now, (superbly maintained), with stock factory issue discs up front, and drums on the rear.

If I press the stop pedal hard enough, the rears will lock, and leave precious black tyre rubber on the road.

In the wet, I do an ABS impersonation. with the brake pedal harder and softer to keep slowing down, but ensure the wheels are still rotating enough for traction.

So why would I want to replace my rear T3 brakes, for t4 ones? o_O

The benefit is? (Apart from the “discs all round” brag factor).

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    syncro and AC-T3 like this.
  3. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Definitely brag factor Grant, the stock T3 rears are very nice and 100% suitible. On a road car I would be staying stock rears.
    My motivation is maintance related, once you add mud, sand and bulk dust, drums are a pain to troubleshoot while on a trip

Grantus and Callum Andrews like this.
  4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I would like to see this modification tested by a competent engineer. I have never seen a car with larger brakes on the rear than the front.

This could be a good upgrade combined with an improvement to the fronts and a little less "Meccano" work with the brackets.

6. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

nils likes this.
  7. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

It was designed by an engineer & marketed by Paul Muller back in the day, but the engineer has since passed away.

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Was it originally designed to be used with a front brake upgrade?

9. nils

nils Well-Known Member

In case anybody with this kit is after hubcentric rings to suit drop me a line.

[​IMG]

10. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Can you let me know the length of these so I can order mine please

11. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

I didn't actually measure them, I used an old front hose and mocked it up then marked where the centre of the banjo should be. Took that down to the brake place and told them I want this end here and the centre of the banjo should be there and let them at it.

12. Luckyphil

No Idea

13. peter915

peter915 Guest

Been otherwise busy.
    My rear brake install is almost complete except for longer wheel studs.
    After fitting the hubs I was able to see how the flexible brake hydraulic line sat in relation to the trailing arm.
    It wasn't perfect so I copied Brent's idea and used a Banjo connection with a slight off-set connection, bringing the hose up onto the top of the trailing
    arm.

[​IMG]

Centric ring installed. - nice and tight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

grantw, David H, Syncro27 and 2 others like this.
  14. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

A different version, this is the Smallcar kit, I fitted the kit over 10 years ago, a Mk 4 Golf caliper and Audi disc, combined with Subi SVX front brakes makes for impressive stopping power.
    My T3 tops the scales at around 2.5tn loaded, when I STAND on the brakes the vehicle doesn't nose dive excessively it just seems to squat all round, only issue, the parking brake could be better .
    The vehicle passed the relevant ADR's for engine and brake modifications including a very severe brake performance test.
    Brake Upgrade (7) R.jpg Brake Upgrade (8) R.jpg

13bvw, grantw, Syncro27 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Luckyphil

Mine does the same however not nearly as heavy but the handbrake is brilliant. Love your work Geoff. Will we see you at Old Bar this year.

Syncro27 likes this.
  16. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Yes, we hope to make it this year Phill. :)

17. Kafermeister

Kafermeister Member

Wow vented rears in that small car conversion, now that’s next level bragging rights over us T4 solid rears!

I also liked Brent’s idea with the banjo hose (removing any hard line there), so Nils if you end up working out the dimensions (or getting them made) please pass them on.

nils likes this.
  18. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Finish touch, proper clip for the hard line.

[​IMG]

Brake hose measurment 270mm from the center of the banjo bolt to the end of the fitting. Length may vary if you mount your hard line differently.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Kafermeister and nils like this.
  19. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Got my brake check done today and the certifier was happy. Smallcar front + T4 rears + BMW booster. Will get my mod plate fitted tomorrow for the subi conversion and the brakes.

20. Kafermeister

Kafermeister Member

Out of interest how much did the engineering check/mod plate cost?