1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T4 Rundown

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by GypsyWannabe, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Devil on the left shoulder says T3, they will be the next cool van.

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Should be ok for launching and retrieval then Baz.

Thought - even if you choose to go for a bare shell Transporter I know of a place in NSW that has a full Caravelle interior with fold down seats (rear included) for what seems a reasonable price but would need to check on availability closer to the time.

3. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

We have a 79 and a 98. I love them both.
    T4 Autos have a bad reputation for expensive breakdowns, but so do the manuals, though for different reasons. Don't be afraid of an auto, but service it immediately. I serviced mine for less than $200 and it has made a huge difference.
    Some pieces of trim and little parts are proving to be expensive on the T4, but that can be the case on a bay as well. But, for the T4 I know I can still get the parts at a VW dealer (the bloke in Penrith seems to know his stuff).
    The T4 is a lot better on the road than the bay - it doesn't get blown around by gusts, it sits very much more stable and solid above 100km/h and is a lot less noisy.

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Not this T3 driver....;)

I'll happily wave at a T4 driver - if they actually realise they are driving a VW. Seems many are just flogging the company work truck, and don't have any idea.:eek:

5. venture4th

venture4th Member

Heh. Timely thread. I've been recently musing on the same choices, have been having moments of T3 infidelity and checking out various T4s-caravalles, 2.5 Transporters, Trakka converted 5 seaters. Finding plenty at good prices, seemingly well maintained. :umm: But none that have the feel of my T3, the balance, suspension travel, there is something that just keeps me coming back to my T3. So I'm with Grantus, happy where I am for now, preparing to throw a few more $ into mine to give it a little refresh, rather than a wholesale change of vehicle after 16yrs...the T5 DSG is another matter though..:heart:

6. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Thank you all. I am now torn but leaning slightly in favour of persisting with Janie... at least for the time being.

When I mentioned the possibilities of buying a T4 to my son and wife, both who rib me about getting a more modern car all the time, they both said, "But the whole reason for having a Kombi is to have something that's classic and cool".

I locked the keys in her today and when the NRMA road service guy came (an older guy) he said, "I might have trouble getting in. When these first came out we had a hell of a time getting in. VW made the seals so tight. These things would float!" and "Restore here mate. They are just going up in value."

So at the very least, I will put a bit more time and effort into Janie and see how we go.

But I will still keep my eye on the T4 scene. I certainly might have appreciated a T4 in the wind today!

Cheers,

Baz

7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Actually, the T5 Sportline caught my eye, so much so, that I made enquiries....

Emails from Europe assured me that I could come and pick up a lowered black one, with all the bells and whistles.

Mrs Grantus here, says "that's great, go for it!"....

One day maybe, but meanwhile, I'd rather just keep my T3's running well.

8. KahunaKombi

Saw a T4 Trakka on Carpoint which looked ok and thought of you Baz :p

9. GypsyWannabe

Thanks Bert. The red one for $8,500?:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8919364&__Ntt=t4&__Qpb=true&__Dx=mode%20matchany&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=t4&__N=1216%201247%201252%201282%204294962746%20898%201622&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&seot=1&__Ntk=CarAll&silo=1011&Cr=9&__Nne=15&trecs=27&__D=t4&__sid=1224F8B26DE3

Damn those long links that don't seem to work...

That looks OK and in my price range but I would need to sell Janie first and also my late Dad's Subaru Liberty. I'd like to have a look at it but I hate to be a tyre kicker. :umm:

Baz

10. KahunaKombi

Yeah that's the one Baz :D

Not sure why the links bugger up like that - sometimes they work and sometimes they don't

11. GypsyWannabe

OK. I need some more convincing ... I got a voice mail message today while out fishing that there might be a T4 available at a really good price - 2.5, 7-seater, not white (aqua sort of colour). I have been enjoying driving Janie and want to finish her off but the amount of to-ing and fro-ing I do with the boat on the back makes me think it is not treating her so nicely and a T4 might be a more sensible option! :)

Cheers,

Baz

12. KahunaKombi

Always a hard call Baz but a lot of time with our VW's we think will our heart and not our head (heaven knows I've been guilty of that and have lived to regret it).

If you are having doubts then possibly it is better to move on to the T4 as long as it is going to do what you want it to and make things easier and more comfortable :p

13. GypsyWannabe

Adding Air Con to T4

Well, this T4 I eledued to before may be just what I need. It drives well and has all the log books and receipts and the price is good. Only issue may be that it has no air con. OK, so Janie doesn't have air con so I shouldn't miss anything, right?

I have been told I can get a unit for about $450 but I want to check on how much it would cost to fit and also where?

My auto electrician reckons it wouldn't be worth it.

But I'm interested in any other's experiences.

Thanks,

Baz

14. t4camper

t4camper Active Member

Baz,
    I think a paid installation would be considerably more than the purchase cost.

The compressor fits on the lower front edge of the engine, the alternator bracket changes and fits between there and the power steering pump if fitted.
    The condensor is fitted across in front of the radiator, the evaporator is intergrated within the fan unit and blows out normal dash vents. The filter/dryer is near the battery on the front left.
    A salvaged original unit if removed carefully is probably the easiest to refit. Might need to find a friendly A/C man to allow you to install the pipes and fittings and then test and gas them. Used compressors that have been left open for any length of time are a risk.:umm:

Neil

15. GypsyWannabe

Decision made. Wheels in motion.

OMG! What have I done?! :eek: :eek:

Baz

16. KahunaKombi

Just hope you do not regret your decision

17. GypsyWannabe

I already do! :lol:

But seriously, I think it will be for the best at this point in time.

Janie looks forward to a new and exciting life. ;)

...and one day I may be able to afford a 2nd vehicle for weekend cruises etc. - a fully restored Samba, perhaps! :rolleyes:

Baz

18. KahunaKombi

Just don't think about it Baz and all will be good and stay positive about the experience :D

19. vannin

vannin Member

Welcome to the world of delivey vans now youve given up on vws :lol: .
    No more friendly waves people turning there nose up at you because your engines in the wrong end!!
    Seriously though, welcome and let us know how you get on now your water cooled.
    Nik