1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T4 Tyre Question - cue Jon Ward :)

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by GypsyWannabe, Feb 1, 2011.

1. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

So, my T4 has new tyres on it: 205/65(I think)/R15. After that, they say '94' and then 'V', which I believe is the load rating. The tyre placard inside the door suggests that it they may supposed to be 99?? The placard also says to put 43psi in the front and 48psi in the back, which I did.

Question 1: Is the 94 load rating OK? I don't plan to change them until I go to bigger alloy wheels - 16 or 17 inch and would prefer to do that when the rubber needs replacing.

Question 2: Are those tyre pressures OK for the 94 load rating or should I drop them a bit?

Thanks,

Baz

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. t4camper

t4camper Active Member

Hi Baz,
    The 'V' rating is the speed rating, so no worries there even with a T4.:D

The higher number indicates a higher load carrying capacity.
    The 94 rating is lower than the specified 99 from the door.
    As to pressure, don't exceed the maximum pressure on the tyre. The door figure is fully loaded. I run mine at about 45 -50 psi all round. Tyre max says 55 but I find that pressure to be very harsh over bumbs. :(
    It is a fully fitted camper and goes 2.4 T on the weighbridge when loaded with people, food, clothes, water and drinks. 2.7 T is the rated gross.

As the tyres are probably a little under rated for the load, you should probably keep them at the higher end of their pressure range and beware not to overload the van with bricks. :)

Neil

3. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Normal passenger tyres in that size the load rating is 94 as you have stated, light truck tyres in that size have a load rating of 100.
    The T4's are supposed to have the LT tyre for load capacity reasons.

Those tyre pressures are way too high, I would put 38psi all round.

4. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Thanks Jon and Neil,

I'll drop the pressure to 38, then. The van will usually not carry much except me! :)

Cheers,

Baz