1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tail light fuse blowing

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by deepburn13, Jan 6, 2014.

1. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Hello,

Been discovering all of the wonders of our new 76 and fixing what i can along the way. Hit a hurdle with the tail lights. Got all other lights working including brake lights but cant get the tail lights working. As soon as i turn them on the fuse blows and i cant find the cause. Earth in the engine bay is good, globes are good, any thoughts guys?

2. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

Which fuse is blowing? If wiring is original then fuse S1 is for LH taillight and fuse S2 for RH taillight. If S2 is blowing fault could be number plate light, tail light or a short on the associated wiring. Try checking number plate wiring where it goes from engine compartment to hatch and wiring on taillights (is the grey/red or grey/black wire connected to earth instead of the bulb holder?

tom

Just had a thought, if S2 is blowing it could also be either front park light which are both connected to it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  3. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

thanks tom! will check tomoro!

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Remove the globes that are on that fuse and see what happens.

5. robmich

robmich Active Member

Hi Mate
    i had the same problem and couldnt find the fault so ran a wire to the other side tail light, only problem is i dont have parking lights,but hey who uses them anyway,if you do find the fault let me know so i can fix mine properly
    Rob

6. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Def is the right hand tail light, fuse S2. Just got the left working, was just the housing.

Tried it with no. Plate globe and right tail globe out and it still blew the fuse. About to keep hunting.

7. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

Yes globes always fail open so not likely to be the cause of the short and the return side of the circuit is at earth potential anyway so a short to earth there will not blow fuses. If you can get to the three wires on fuse S2 try removing two and see if the remaining one blows the fuse, then try each one at a time until you find the culprit. It would be easier and cheaper on fuses if you could beg or borrow a multimeter or ohmmeter and check for a short that way. I would also check the park light wires to make sure they are connected and haven't been left dangling.

tom

8. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Thanks Tom! That's done the trick. I disconnected the parking lighst at the fuse box from S2 and left the right tail light connected and it works fine, no blown fuse! So I think I'll just leave the parking lights disconnected.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Removing globes was to check that the contacts were not shorting. Yes it is very rare for a globe to short, but I have seen it.

10. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I had a parking light globe which constantly caused the dead short and blew a fuse - took a while to trace it but the globe was the culprit.

11. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

I concede that it is possible for the centre terminal and globe case to short externally but the point was that each try was blowing a fuse and consequently priority should be given to the most likely faults first. Glad to hear that deepburn13 is back in business despite our help:)

tom

12. coastaldream75

coastaldream75 Member

Just checking, I'm having the same problem with my left hand tail light, S1 fuse blowing, would I be right in thinking it could only be something wrong with these specific wires/contacts concerning that taillight..? Thanks!

13. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Do the basic checks first and you will probably find the problem is the park light contact making contact with the earth bar in the headlight connector,this is often fitted out of place when replacing globes.

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

i had similar problem kept blowing fuses
    i disconnect the trailer hitch...fixed my problem.....dont tow anything anyway..will fix the problem if i ever have to tow anything

Grantus likes this.
  15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Poorly wired trailer plugs are reknown for blowing fuses, across all vehicles, even late model ones! ;)

Jerome likes this.
  16. coastaldream75

coastaldream75 Member

Never mind, it was the bulb having a dodgy connection with the contacts shorting out! Thanks anyway

17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Cool!

One fixed.....one to go...;)

18. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

If it is the Utilux 5 or 7 pin round plug the screw that holds the pin section inside the housing falls out letting the pins contact the flap blowing the fuse.