1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tailgate Latch repair

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by mwizz, Dec 9, 2017.

1. mwizz

mwizz Member

Hi all, I removed my tailgate mechanism on my 69 Brazilian splitty as it was not working properly. When I took it apart and cleaned it up I found that one of the parts in the latch itself was broken. I have included a pic of the part. I have been told that it probably can't be welded because it is cast. I am therefore looking for advice on repair or to see if anyone has this part or a full latch mechanism that they may want to sell. My handle works fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. t4camper

t4camper Active Member

Cast allow will not weld as it is porous.
    Repair option would be to drill and tap a thread in the pawl, replace the rod with a set screw and lock tight in.
    File off to fit the internal profile.
    Are there any addition guides on the side of the pawl near the smaller locating pins to stop it moving sideways as it lifts?

3. mwizz

mwizz Member

No additional guides. I am glad you provided this advice as someone else told me to try the same thing when I showed them so I had a go and it worked. I will post some pics.

4. mwizz

mwizz Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    BrianK likes this.
  5. t4camper

t4camper Active Member

Well done, as a catch saving practice, try turning handle and closing door then release latch rather than letting the door drop from a great height.

KahunaKombi likes this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Nice outcome mwizz:). Bronze welding can work on cast stuff but much care needed & I'm sure the original design is not good for load on the stem (thus the failure) so that's a great mod:D. Lots stronger as it penetrates the entire material thickness:cool:. Love it.
    Cheers

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  7. mwizz

mwizz Member

Thanks I will certainly take that advice.

8. mwizz

mwizz Member

Thanks David appreciated